Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Central Defenders

If we're going into the new season with the current centre back options are you happy with what we have at our disposal?

Maguire is a solid and I think it'd be safe to suggest he's a starter. Then I'd guess most would have Huth as the regular partner to him. You then have Morgan who imo we can't overly rely on anymore, sorry if you think that's harsh on him as he has been superb for us overall. 

Then we have Benny who I actually quite rate as a sub defender. Not everyone's cup of tea but did very well when called upon last season

id still like to see one more quality signing brought in. Smalling would be my first choice

Maguire will be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

In one of Shakespeare's interviews he was asked about Huth's injury and Maguire being able to slot in to the squad straight away. Shakey answered to the effect of how handy it was that he could go straight in because that was the plan for him to be used from the start of the season anyway. 

Im quite happy with what we have. I think a complete overhaul would be detrimental to the team. 1 defender now and another either in January or next summer will be fine.

If Shakey thinks another one is needed or if a good player becomes available then bring him in but I wont cry if we don't sign another CB this window.

Pretty happy we have 4 walk up starters and a youth player to cover with Fuchs who can also fill in if desperate need a RB  if Amartey is not going to be used in that position 

I'd be happy enough to go till January with the centre halves we've got.

We've currently got Maguire, Morgan, Huth, Benalouane, Moore, Amartey and Fuchs that can play in that position. But I'd like to see us get a good young defender in the place of Benalouane. Gibson would be fantastic.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'd be happy enough to go till January with the centre halves we've got.

We've currently got Maguire, Morgan, Huth, Benalouane, Moore, Amartey and Fuchs that can play in that position. But I'd like to see us get a good young defender in the place of Benalouane. Gibson would be fantastic.

agreed, getting Maquire in early has released a lot of pressure on having to get a CB in, we now are in a stronger position in negotiate with clubs like Middlesbrough as we have no need to panic buy 

Happy enough with those 4 and Amartey as a possible 5th choice if we are desperate. 

Similar to our midfield options though, I can't help think that if we really want to push for a regular top 8 finish, we need to be looking to improve on our current starters. 

I would like us to go after a creative CM who would walk into our team in terms of their quality and also a CB too if possible e.g Smalling or Zouma

I do understand the point made above though about squad harmony and perhaps dropping both Wes and Huth for Maguire and new CB, might be too disruptive and could do more damage than good. You would hope not and we can't miss out on better players because of that, but I'd understand if that is in Shakey's thoughts. 

If we do sign another CB though, then can see Benny going.

Pretty weak. Benny looks like he'll cost us if required to step in for more than a few games. Morgan and Huth are in the process of breaking down and I think seeing Maguire will make people realise that we should be striving for better players now.

Amartey isn't even deemed good enough to be ahead of Benny.

Maguire is quality though, will be first name on the team sheet every week.

As many managers say, two players per position is a priority, right now we have four centre backs along with a couple of others who can slot in there.

Plenty have said on here that we need long term replacements for Morgan and Huth, we now have one in Maguire but we definitely need another, we've been linked with a few so I wouldn't be surprised if we do sign another CB, preferably left sided.

Benny has had his moments but for me he is too rash, he is capable of making mistakes and I think we need better. Amartey is really untested at CB for us, if we give him a go and he performs then we wouldn't need another CB.

24 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Huth, Morgan, Maguire and Benny with Amartey and Fuchs as last resorts is decent imo.

We have Moore also. Ndidi could also do a stint if needed.

I would like to see another young CB, either come through, or invested in from Elsewhere.

I Would prefer quality / proven CBs than  so called last resorts.

The team and subs, must be the die hards for our seasons Make -up, which we should attempt to Establish

From day one. Tweeking, and injuries will always be part of the game, but I believe the BBone of the side,

should be settled, well within the 1st 5 games. Not forgetting any GK needs to understand and have

a rapport  with his defence in front of him ASAP.

Maguire / Huth sounds about right at least in the first games. Would love to see Benny alongside Maguire but it's very unlikely to happen.

Don't think Smalling will come. I'd like to see us spend some cash on a quality CAM rather than a CB tbh.

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Both equally important for me. Unfortunately our management think we have young version of Cafu and Maldini in Amartey and Benny.

I shuckled more than I should have.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

4 CB's is enough, we have others who can cover that position is needs be also. If we brought one in I'd rather it be another player will will eventually take over a starting spot and lose benny.

I think you need 5 CBs for a whole season, but you can probably get by with 4 & a utility man.

We've been crying out for a 2nd RB since RDL left, if the academy hasn't produced one, one must be bought... And that would be my prefered defensive signing

I have no real issue with the 4 plus Amartey we have now, but in an ideal world I would like to see another starter come in. 

As it stands I would like to think that Maguire is a starter alongside 1 of Huth or Morgan. Benny is a decent 4th choice but then there's the question of whether or not he is content with that, maybe not after acquitting himself fairly well towards the end of last season but there is no way he will play ahead of a fit Morgan or Huth IMO.

As others have said, there are other more pressing areas of the squad that need improving.

Archived