Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

40 minutes ago, Line-X said:

There is a 60% chance of disruption due to the weather. A friend in Miami, albeit 189 miles from the Cape, was telling me that they had 7 inches of rain in 48 hours over the weekend. The concern is wind shear and very thick cumulus masses - really wouldn't want to launch into a thunderstorm again. 

If they do go, since Dragon is chasing the ISS, it's orbital inclination will mean that it passes over the South West of the UK, so assuming the skies are clear tonight (which is the forecast), it should be visible about twenty minutes after launch. 

If the SLS/Orion project ever gets off the ground, I intend to be there. 

Good information, thank you

Looks like the weather could be a bit dodgy at the Cape, but let's hope for the best

image.png.deaeef96a9f4a10ec9a557ac2a55357f.png

Speaking purely selfishly I'm hoping that they do scrub and go again at the weekend because I can see it live then rather than having to wake up at an unearthly hour on a work day it watch a recording later. Either way, it's exciting times!

Up until I looked more closely I had no idea that with the current Artemis project a return to the Moon is being targeted for 2024 - that would be amazing if it were to happen.

59 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Up until I looked more closely I had no idea that with the current Artemis project a return to the Moon is being targeted for 2024 - that would be amazing if it were to happen.

Very optimistic imo. It makes you realise how remarkable the Apollo programme actually was to achieve Kennedy's aim of "landing a man on the moon by the end of the decade" - particularly after the setback of Apollo 1. 

The chances of a scrub today are very high - because it's not just the conditions around the Cape that need to be risk assessed - but downrange - along the entire launch corridor in the event of the abort scenarios. 

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/05/26/spacex-crew-launch-comes-with-new-weather-constraints-for-downrange-aborts/

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Very optimistic imo. It makes you realise how remarkable the Apollo programme actually was to achieve Kennedy's aim of "landing a man on the moon by the end of the decade" - particularly after the setback of Apollo 1. 

The chances of a scrub today are very high - because it's not just the conditions around the Cape that need to be risk assessed - but downrange - along the entire launch corridor in the event of the abort scenarios. 

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/05/26/spacex-crew-launch-comes-with-new-weather-constraints-for-downrange-aborts/

It is optimistic - but then the Apollo Program itself showed that if the will and resources are there, then such targets can be met.

It is time - long past time - that humanity began taking manned spaceflight more seriously again and set serious targets for it that were then met.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Speaking purely selfishly I'm hoping that they do scrub and go again at the weekend because I can see it live then rather than having to wake up at an unearthly hour on a work day it watch a recording later. Either way, it's exciting times!

Yeah pretty excited about this. I usuall would be pretty interested anyway but given the current situation and almost totally nothing much going on in the world apart from covid, a spacecraft launch is something to get your teeth into!

• Like 1

I have it on my big screen TV. Weather is really overcast and it's currently heavily spitting with rain. They can't delay it either as the ISS is moving too quick overhead. It's go or abort. 

I shall go outside once the launch happens with the feed on my phone whilst I look out for it. I didn't think it was as long as 20 mins after the launch to see it. I thought I was less than that. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I have it on my big screen TV. Weather is really overcast and it's currently heavily spitting with rain. They can't delay it either as the ISS is moving too quick overhead. It's go or abort. 

I shall go outside once the launch happens with the feed on my phone whilst I look out for it. I didn't think it was as long as 20 mins after the launch to see it. I thought I was less than that. 

weather (in Florida) looks a bit touch and go.

Got it on the tv, even booted up Kerbal Space Program on the PC too. Beer in hand. 

45 minutes to go, lets hope the weather holds up!

• Like 1

That's orbital mechanics for you ...Newton and Kepler in the driving seat, and the problem with an instantaneous launch, wafer thin window. Thing is, the weather at the Cape doesn't look any better for Saturday. 

Prospect of another launch party though...

IMG_20200527_194317056.thumb.jpg.dae68fba91e628e77e9058fcdb875eaf.jpgIMG_20200527_191217035.jpg.d641979bac92715a826891f80b7d7101.jpg

IMG_20200527_200510528.jpg.ec0b40292440dd45514760b92708e46d.jpg

IMG_20200527_204958012.jpg.9bd5c21fcea5cc915ad5d745ce6f003f.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Bear said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52810220

Look at the absolute state of that. A £5 memory stick marketed to protect people from 5G with "quantum entanglement" effects. And sold for £340!! 

The sad thing is there are idiots buying them. 

I recently encountered one of these quantum woo merchants online - and requested the assistance of a particle physicist to compose a response. The Chopra addled fool was claiming that to understand the matrix that we live in and to truly emancipate the soul you needed to first understand 'quantum mechanics'. After introducing him to Feynman's observation - "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." he arrogantly responded by claiming that he "understands a large portion of it " and with the obligatory, "do your own research". 

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Do_your_own_research

I then responded by asking if it was ok if I posed him one simple question before I do. Given the illusory superiority of these Dunning-Kruger afflicted cretins he couldn't resist the opportunity to enlighten me. So my question was, very simply; "can I interest you in a £5.00 memory stick designed to protec..." - No, not really. The question I actually asked was this::

Since contrary to Feynman's experience, you claim to 'understand a big portion of it'...perhaps you can help me? Assuming an arbitrary function u ε L ² (R³ ) is expressed as the sum of a series in discrete eigenfunctions and an integral, over the space R³ of wave number vectors, of improper eigenfunctions representing distorted plane waves - should the problem of eigenfunction expansion be expressed explicitly in the momentum representation? I greatly look forward to your insightful reply. Perhaps you could ask David Icke?"

Oddly I never got a reply - he deleted his OP and consequently the thread within the hour. 

This is highly amusing. When science meets snake oil. ...

• Like 1