Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

If life is found to exist in such an extreme environment as that, I'd lay very good money that it is not the only place in our own Solar System where such life might be found.

My personal take on it is that the universe is teeming with life.  As soon as we develop techniques to detect it, we'll find it everywhere.

Intelligent life on other planets? That's much rarer.  It's out there, I'm sure, but I don't think we'll find it in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

My personal take on it is that the universe is teeming with life.  As soon as we develop techniques to detect it, we'll find it everywhere.

Intelligent life on other planets? That's much rarer.  It's out there, I'm sure, but I don't think we'll find it in my lifetime.

But we probably won't in terms of sentient life forms - because temporally and spatially the separation is too far. 

If not Venus, single cellular organisms or bacteria, or evidence of their previous existence, I expect to be discovered within the solar system by the end of the century. Particularly if we continue to explore Mars or manage to probe the depths of a moon with an ice covered ocean such as Europa. 

Edited by Line-X

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

The worst thing about reading stuff about Venus on Twitter is the amount of astrology stuff you have to scroll past. 

:plancque:

Vac, as you probably know, a lot of humans are superstitious, gullible twats. Sod the science, what's my horoscope saying in the daily star?

Cos that will be accurate and factual. 

Some humans haven't evolved above amoeba, let alone above chimps. 

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Ah yes a completely impossible to implement idea.  That will fix it!

I agree it is isn’t as straight forward as just adding 10% or 20% to the cost of items, and would take someone much cleverer than me to devise, but I refuse to believe it’s impossible to replace something as arbitrary as VAT with something designed to help guide consumer behaviour towards protection of the environment. Perhaps levied on primary producers like fossil fuels, miners, selective farming, etc, and allowed to work through the system as additional costs to finished goods.

Start with the most damaging industries first.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Venus is the last place in the solar system, other than the Sun, that you'd expect to find any sort of life! Mental. 

I keep hearing this and think it's very disrespectful.

The Venutian farting microbes are probably listening to this sort of stuff and thinking 'that's a bit rich coming from that lot'.

Thinking of asking them to come to Earth to sort us out

6 hours ago, Line-X said:

But we probably won't in terms of sentient life forms - because temporally and spatially the separation is too far. 

If not Venus, single cellular organisms or bacteria, or evidence of their previous existence, I expect to be discovered within the solar system by the end of the century. Particularly if we continue to explore Mars or manage to probe the depths of a moon with an ice covered ocean such as Europa. 

Mars, Europa and Enceladus are all promising candidates.

12 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I agree it is isn’t as straight forward as just adding 10% or 20% to the cost of items, and would take someone much cleverer than me to devise, but I refuse to believe it’s impossible to replace something as arbitrary as VAT with something designed to help guide consumer behaviour towards protection of the environment. Perhaps levied on primary producers like fossil fuels, miners, selective farming, etc, and allowed to work through the system as additional costs to finished goods.

Start with the most damaging industries first.

We are already seeing a huge shift from fossil fuels to green energy, so I would see that as unnecessary.

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We are already seeing a huge shift from fossil fuels to green energy, so I would see that as unnecessary.

Judging by current events, it is not happening fast nor effectively enough, though.

Of course, it's a global problem which makes applying solutions that also helps the whole globe very difficult.

On 11/09/2020 at 05:08, The Bear said:

No doubt Donny and his ilk will assure every one it has nothing to do with climate change. 

When challenged, he just fvcking stands there, smirking and making jokes about it... Then flatly denies that science is the answer. 

This is the President of the United States. There are no words.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

When challenged, he just fvcking stands there, smirking and making jokes about it... Then flatly denies that science is the answer. 

This is the President of the United States. There are no words.

The man and those who follow him are, mostly, the embodiment of short term self interest over the long term future of...well, a lot. The ignorance is mainly a smokescreen to disguise that self interest, IMO - they know what the situation is, they just think it's irrelevant to them personally.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-53640382

Despite its title this is really about the lengths that corporations use misinformation to further their own interests.

It's interesting, probably not that surprising and also quite depressing how effective this strategy has been. The bit about targeting certain demographics made me sad in particular, as I can see the results of this in folk pretty close to home

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

This can't be true, can it? Massive if it is true.

20200929_215453.jpg

Can’t read due to the firewall, but Is it this one?

https://news.mit.edu/2020/physics-fusion-studies-0929

"The MIT group is pursuing a very compelling approach to fusion energy." says Chris Hegna, a professor of engineering physics at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, who was not connected to this work. "They realized the emergence of high-temperature superconducting technology enables a high magnetic field approach to producing net energy gain from a magnetic confinement system. This work is a potential game-changer for the international fusion program."

I remember reading about this some time ago and then lost track. Sounds like it might beat ITER’s “design by committee” brute force technology.

• Like 1