Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lovejoy

Passwords

A few of the fellas at work swear by LastPass for their passwords.

Anyone more informed than myself got any good recommendations for what to use for generating random passwords and storing them all easily?

--Edit--

I've just had a look at the program you were talking about, and it's one of those that auto fills out passwords and stuff for you so you don't need to keep remembering them isn't it

There's actually a built in function in FireFox that does this, but it doesn't do credit card info, as tbh, that's a massive security risk if your laptop or pc ever gets stolen

Personally, I just make a load of random numbers, characters and symbols up off the top of my head and write it on a piece of paper that I keep in a safe location. Whilst I can already hear a thousand sharp intakes of breath, I view that it's safer keeping my passwords on a piece of paper rather than in a file. After all which is more prone to be accessed by somebody on t'internet - a file on your computer, or a piece of paper under your floorboards?

I wouldn't recommend using Autofill on passwords. Most internet browsers such as Chrome, Firefox and IE. Google Chrome can even store your Debit/Credit card information so you don't have to remember that.

As Spam said, it's a massive security risk. If you get a virus or your PC gets stolen, the user would easily get access to all your accounts without having to do anything.

It's better to store your passwords externally. Even using something less conventional, like a pen/paper and then storing the document in a locked filing cabinet is much more secure.

that's not true at all.

lastpass is ****ing awesome. 

you get it to make up random letter / number passwords to every individual site / account you use and then you input a single master password (which you obviously make hard as ****) when you open your browser and it autofills everything from there onwards.

it's mega encrypted at their end and totally eradicates the chance of anyone guessing your passwords.

as long as you don't bitch out on the master password / make a record of it anywhere then it's as safe as it gets. 

it's not the highest ranked password manager used by millions of people for no reason.

You can also get all your saved logins stolen if your Firefox account itself is comprimised. You can log into it on another machine and view all the saved logins there by just clicking view password..

Never look at LastPass but KeePass is a decent solution for this. I'd imagine they work in a similar way.

Archived