Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oakman

Baby Names

2 minutes ago, NasPb said:

It depends on what the parents background is imo. I know my son or daughter if i have one will be called either idris or drissia. Just depends though. Always liked older more unique names regardless of the background. 

Can I ask what the origins of those names are to you. In welsh folklore Idris is a giant who defeated the Irish in a (mythical?) battle. I think it has other roots in Arabic (a prophet?).

I don't know Drissia at all. I like these as names though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Can I ask what the origins of those names are to you. In welsh folklore Idris is a giant who defeated the Irish in a (mythical?) battle. I think it has other roots in Arabic (a prophet?).

I don't know Drissia at all. I like these as names though.

Idris is from Arabic in my context. A lot of people have donned the name such as the ancient prophet (as) and in my case it's of meaning because the founder of one of the first dynasties in what is now Morocco was a man called moulay idriss, he united all the amazigh tribes that were fighting each other on their request coming from Yemen. Drissia is a female equivalent. There's plenty of interesting unknown names that were once common in North Africa that I'm aware of. I'm lucky because I've been given books and stuff from my parents that contain these "lost" names. Always find it interesting that idris both existed in arabic and welsh! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Idris is from Arabic in my context. A lot of people have donned the name such as the ancient prophet (as) and in my case it's of meaning because the founder of one of the first dynasties in what is now Morocco was a man called moulay idriss, he united all the amazigh tribes that were fighting each other on their request coming from Yemen. Drissia is a female equivalent. There's plenty of interesting unknown names that were once common in North Africa that I'm aware of. I'm lucky because I've been given books and stuff from my parents that contain these "lost" names. Always find it interesting that idris both existed in arabic and welsh! 

Brilliant, fascinating stuff... I'm going to educate myself about moulay idriss. So little is taught about Arabic history. My Grandmother used to read the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam to me when I was very young (Persian I think) and some stories from The Thousand and One Nights but that is about my limit...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NasPb said:

What's so amazigh about them?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Brilliant, fascinating stuff... I'm going to educate myself about moulay idriss. So little is taught about Arabic history. My Grandmother used to read the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam to me when I was very young (Persian I think) and some stories from The Thousand and One Nights but that is about my limit...

You're absolutely correct. If you're interested i can send you some more interesting figures in North west African history. In fact there was even an English man who built up some cities in the 1700s. Ahmad al inglizi. Always interesting to hear about the more unknown aspects of history wherever they may be from. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NasPb said:

You're absolutely correct. If you're interested i can send you some more interesting figures in North west African history. In fact there was even an English man who built up some cities in the 1700s. Ahmad al inglizi. Always interesting to hear about the more unknown aspects of history wherever they may be from. 

Definitely :thumbup: