Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

limited posts

24 minutes ago, FIF said:

Wymsey,

I've pm'ed them, I get no reply so openly asking them is the only route available.

Why would not asking them make them more likely to change the limit?

Only one person has the power to limit or remove a limit, as I understand it.

How my posts are limited and yours aren't is one of the biggest mysteries to me on FT.

Perhaps because even though, admittedly, my viewpoints can be controversial/disagreed by others at times/can be seen as 'daft' by others - at least I don't try to wind fellow members up in order to get some form of reaction from them - the latter which you seem to have made a habit of in recent times..

Am sure if any admin member was annoyed with my input, they'd inform me about it/provide a warning.

I post unique opinions here and there at times that can be quite mind-boggling to others, but have never had any intention to troll etc for reactions to laugh at.

As it seems you've got some form of history of being banned once or twice - perhaps you need to look at your posting style instead of trying to shift attention to those who don't try to troll others.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Perhaps because even though, admittedly, my viewpoints can be controversial/disagreed by others at times/can be seen as 'daft' by others - at least I don't try to wind fellow members up in order to get some form of reaction from them - the latter which you seem to have made a habit of in recent times..

No offence man but your viewpoints often show a homophobism that you clearly don't realise you have and yes many of your posts are not simply daft but crazy, you often sound like you like on a different planet to the rest of us. Having said that I don't think you should be banned or limited, you say what you think  and others can take it or leave it. 

I don't try to wind people up - that's a misconception. I give my wholehearted view and people get wound up - the biggest examples on here have been my views on Cambiasso and Mahrez (after his disgusting tantrum throwing). It's just a personal view, not really worth an incredibly long posting limit or ban is it? People don't get banned when they moan about Morgan or Chilly or Gray or Puel every week. I think I'm far more upbeat and positive about Leicester City than the majority of posters on this site and I bring healthy discussion onto the General forum.

Anyway this'll probably be my last post of the day so my apologies if I don't respond to anything your reply.

On 02/09/2018 at 10:56, FIF said:

No offence man but your viewpoints often show a homophobism that you clearly don't realise you have and yes many of your posts are not simply daft but crazy, you often sound like you like on a different planet to the rest of us. Having said that I don't think you should be banned or limited, you say what you think  and others can take it or leave it. 

I don't try to wind people up - that's a misconception. I give my wholehearted view and people get wound up - the biggest examples on here have been my views on Cambiasso and Mahrez (after his disgusting tantrum throwing). It's just a personal view, not really worth an incredibly long posting limit or ban is it? People don't get banned when they moan about Morgan or Chilly or Gray or Puel every week. I think I'm far more upbeat and positive about Leicester City than the majority of posters on this site and I bring healthy discussion onto the General forum.

Anyway this'll probably be my last post of the day so my apologies if I don't respond to anything your reply.

If you  didn't post so much moaning about your post limit you might never reach it. :D

A good rule of thumb to help limit your posting, if you have already said it many times before then there is no need to say it again. EG Mahrez's tantrum, everyone knows your views on it, you don't need to repeat it and if someone quotes you on it, unless you have something new to add you don't need to reply. If someone else has already expressed a similar view on it then just like that post rather than repeating the same view. If you find yourself getting into the same discussion over and over again then maybe it is time to let it go. Some people think Mahrez is a petulant little shit for going on strike others don't. There is no point discussing it as there is no new information. Some people think Cambiasso is a legend others don't. You don't need to reply every time you see an opinion you disagree with. Especially when it doesn't really matter. It's like we don't need someone to make a post slagging off Morgan every time he is picked, followed by the inevitable defence, the counter argument, the "He won the premier league, he deserves more respect!" post. "That was 3 years ago, he's shit now", "It's not his fault Puel picks him", "what's the point in spending £30m on center backs if we're still picking Morgan!"... etc every fvcking game.

This is not just aimed at you, there are many many posters who could do with following this advice. The same goes in Gen Chat, I rarely contribute in the politics thread these days because invariably someone has already said it and there is no point repeating already had arguments. Every new article on Brexit provokes the same responses from the same people it is unnecessary and gets a little boring.

Another trick is if you have found your self in a debate/argument with the same poster, just stop replying, most of these arguments are just people repeating themselves, either in the argument or repeating points they have made in other threads.

Finally when we score a goal posting GOAL!!!!!!!!!! on the match thread is not really very helpful to anyone

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

If you  didn't post so much moaning about your post limit you might never reach it. :D

A good rule of thumb to help limit your posting, if you have already said it many times before then there is no need to say it again. EG Mahrez's tantrum, everyone knows your views on it, you don't need to repeat it and if someone quotes you on it, unless you have something new to add you don't need to reply. If someone else has already expressed a similar view on it then just like that post rather than repeating the same view. If you find yourself getting into the same discussion over and over again then maybe it is time to let it go. Some people think Mahrez is a petulant little shit for going on strike others don't. There is no point discussing it as there is no new information. Some people think Cambiasso is a legend others don't. You don't need to reply every time you see an opinion you disagree with. Especially when it doesn't really matter. It's like we don't need someone to make a post slagging off Morgan every time he is picked, followed by the inevitable defence, the counter argument, the "He won the premier league, he deserves more respect!" post. "That was 3 years ago, he's shit now", "It's not his fault Puel picks him", "what's the point in spending £30m on center backs if we're still picking Morgan!"... etc every fvcking game.

This is not just aimed at you, there are many many posters who could do with following this advice. The same goes in Gen Chat, I rarely contribute in the politics thread these days because invariably someone has already said it and there is no point repeating already had arguments. Every new article on Brexit provokes the same responses from the same people it is unnecessary and gets a little boring.

Another trick is if you have found your self in a debate/argument with the same poster, just stop replying, most of these arguments are just people repeating themselves, either in the argument or repeating points they have made in other threads.

Finally when we score a goal posting GOAL!!!!!!!!!! on the match thread is not really very helpful to anyone

Thanks.

Clearly the post of a man with no limit and little understanding of the restraints of having a limit. ;)

If only everyone stuck to the idea in your first very long paragraph then the site would quickly die wouldn't it? As it is I like talking about Mahrez, as do most people on FT, because he was an important part of our team for so many years in the recent past. As time goes by myself and others will post less about him - as we have with Cambiasso for example.

I would suggest to you that if a thread has become boring for you - like Brexit - you shouldn't even open it. Why waste precious time? 

I agree with your points about replying to the same poster and whatever that was about "goal". I don't do them, and didn't when I had unlimited posting.

some of the the beauties of unlimited posting that you may not realise are that you can reply to interesting people/topics as and when they write. You are not seen as rude when you don't reply to their questions, you can help people with answers they are looking for and you can get help quickly when you would like to know something and of course you can make as many super witty one line comments as you wish.

29 minutes ago, FIF said:

Thanks.

Clearly the post of a man with no limit and little understanding of the restraints of having a limit. ;)

If only everyone stuck to the idea in your first very long paragraph then the site would quickly die wouldn't it? As it is I like talking about Mahrez, as do most people on FT, because he was an important part of our team for so many years in the recent past. As time goes by myself and others will post less about him - as we have with Cambiasso for example.

I would suggest to you that if a thread has become boring for you - like Brexit - you shouldn't even open it. Why waste precious time? 

I agree with your points about replying to the same poster and whatever that was about "goal". I don't do them, and didn't when I had unlimited posting.

some of the the beauties of unlimited posting that you may not realise are that you can reply to interesting people/topics as and when they write. You are not seen as rude when you don't reply to their questions, you can help people with answers they are looking for and you can get help quickly when you would like to know something and of course you can make as many super witty one line comments as you wish.

Was that really worth one of your precious posts? Your confused face already told me you didn't get my post, which is fine, just to point out I said many people could do with thinking a bit more about how and when they post and not keep on repeating the same arguments and not all of it was directly aimed at you.

I look at the politics thread about once a week, normally just read the last page and see that nobody's opinion has changed and the arguments are going round in the same circles. Occasionally something new comes up that provokes a thought or opinion I haven't had before about a topic and if it does I contribute.

If you are worried about people thinking you are rude then my first concern would be not whether or not you reply but your tone of reply, judging by your recent posts where you have called people foolish, implied one poster is homophobic and start posts with "Sad to see the normal suspects putting us down". It's not very inclusive language. You have been a good contributor in the past and you do have valid opinions that are interesting but your tone is one of someone with a chip on their shoulder and your style is often abrasive. I say this because despite the posting limit and bans you still don't seem to have learned. Writing is a tricky medium to convey subtlety and lacks context and nuance, unless you write an epic post. If you are trying to get your limit removed you should perhaps consider the above posts and aim to modify your posting style.

I will give you one last tip one I meant to say in my first post, when you see a debate going on that you want to contribute to, but don't want to get into an argument with someone. Pick a post you agree with and reply to that one. You get to have your say. It is less likely to get you in an argument and more likely to get a positive response.

I am guessing you will see this as patronising and it probably is in, but it is meant in the spirit of friendship and harmony. Don't feel the need to reply to this I won't think you rude, a reaction will do. I'm probably not worth wasting a post on and I don't think I really care that much. Just a little bored and thought I would offer some thoughts.

• Like 1

Operant Conditioning is quite possibly an issue here, especially when a poster seeks specific stimuli as a result of their online activity. It is often argued that depravation or decrease of opportunity to obtain can exacerbate the condition. Unlike many pursuits that people derive pleasure from the rewards from forum reactions are often surprising or unpredictable which can cause 'chasing' on a kind of sociopathic level in an attempt to recreate or find similar rewards or highs as previously experienced.

So in fact posting limitations may have the desired effect in terms of the needs of the forum but not necessarily so for the individuals made subject to them. After carefully reviewing the list earlier posted by @Mark alternative approaches may be worth considering. As a 'starter for ten' if you like, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring first and suggest waterboarding of individuals at several periods during the day, whilst being questioned on subjects pertinent to the reason for sanctions being imposed. Mods may like to consider these sessions iteratively diminishing in timescale over the duration of said ban. At risk of harping on and not wishing myself to receive sanctions from moderators, I would like it to be noted that I have further proposals, similarly strategic in nature, in the form of a 'three strikes and you're out' policy should moderators feel my ideas worth development and future implementation. 

19 hours ago, Captain... said:

Was that really worth one of your precious posts? Your confused face already told me you didn't get my post, which is fine, just to point out I said many people could do with thinking a bit more about how and when they post and not keep on repeating the same arguments and not all of it was directly aimed at you.

I look at the politics thread about once a week, normally just read the last page and see that nobody's opinion has changed and the arguments are going round in the same circles. Occasionally something new comes up that provokes a thought or opinion I haven't had before about a topic and if it does I contribute.

If you are worried about people thinking you are rude then my first concern would be not whether or not you reply but your tone of reply, judging by your recent posts where you have called people foolish, implied one poster is homophobic and start posts with "Sad to see the normal suspects putting us down". It's not very inclusive language. You have been a good contributor in the past and you do have valid opinions that are interesting but your tone is one of someone with a chip on their shoulder and your style is often abrasive. I say this because despite the posting limit and bans you still don't seem to have learned. Writing is a tricky medium to convey subtlety and lacks context and nuance, unless you write an epic post. If you are trying to get your limit removed you should perhaps consider the above posts and aim to modify your posting style.

I will give you one last tip one I meant to say in my first post, when you see a debate going on that you want to contribute to, but don't want to get into an argument with someone. Pick a post you agree with and reply to that one. You get to have your say. It is less likely to get you in an argument and more likely to get a positive response.

I am guessing you will see this as patronising and it probably is in, but it is meant in the spirit of friendship and harmony. Don't feel the need to reply to this I won't think you rude, a reaction will do. I'm probably not worth wasting a post on and I don't think I really care that much. Just a little bored and thought I would offer some thoughts.

Again thanks - whether I agree with all of what you say, every post I make and every reply I receive teaches me something about myself and/or others. 

Not sure about the sarcasm at the beginning but it's never a waste of a post to communicate with you.

I understand your comment about revolving discussions. A forum like this is very like a pub, people air there views and change them very little, not sure why you'd expect anything more on a forum to "real" life. 

I am aware that my writing style is antagonistic/abrasive - too often - it's probably because I'm a fairly unlikeable, antagonistic person. My only defence is that on a forum people who don't like my style can simply put me on ignore. If not, as in real life, if they are antagonised by a comment that is really their problem. We choose whether we are going to be antagonised or not and whether we reply to that antagonism.

I disagree with your belief that we should just ignore homophobism (or racism, sexism etc...) simply because we don't wish to offend. I think it's very important that we immediately comment on suchlike to show that it is unacceptable in our society and our forum. I don't believe that the person you refer to is a bad person, I think, that like everyone of us, he suffers from this fault through nurture not nature, his childhood and upbringing have ingrained certain thoughts which if he is made aware of them - being an intelligent and caring individual - he will question and realise that they are wrong and then adjust. I lived through the 60's and 70's and so realise how our social life and community can hide racist and homophobist views, making them seem the norm. I believe that I still have that problem with sexism, which I am trying hard to overcome. In the future I feel that it will be the same with our present treatment of animals.

Finally, I agree that your post does come over as patronising and condescending, but as I said earlier with regards my "style" it is up to the reader to be patronised or condescended to, I don't and take it with the spirit you offer it. I must say over the years I have always found your posts to be thoughtful and intelligent but over recent years they have become as dripping with condescension as a window pane in early winter becomes dripping with condensation. Maybe you have tired of the revolving door of the same arguments and need a change and maybe I'm talking out of turn or out of my arsenal.

18 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Operant Conditioning is quite possibly an issue here, especially when a poster seeks specific stimuli as a result of their online activity. It is often argued that depravation or decrease of opportunity to obtain can exacerbate the condition. Unlike many pursuits that people derive pleasure from the rewards from forum reactions are often surprising or unpredictable which can cause 'chasing' on a kind of sociopathic level in an attempt to recreate or find similar rewards or highs as previously experienced.

So in fact posting limitations may have the desired effect in terms of the needs of the forum but not necessarily so for the individuals made subject to them. After carefully reviewing the list earlier posted by @Mark alternative approaches may be worth considering. As a 'starter for ten' if you like, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring first and suggest waterboarding of individuals at several periods during the day, whilst being questioned on subjects pertinent to the reason for sanctions being imposed. Mods may like to consider these sessions iteratively diminishing in timescale over the duration of said ban. At risk of harping on and not wishing myself to receive sanctions from moderators, I would like it to be noted that I have further proposals, similarly strategic in nature, in the form of a 'three strikes and you're out' policy should moderators feel my ideas worth development and future implementation. 

Are you discussing penis envy?

I always find the accusation of "ego posting" or posting for a response strange on a forum like this. Most people don't "know" the other posters and well over 90% of the posts must be comments (There are a few factual posts - davie puts up most of those - and a few offers and requests). Why do you think people post comments on the forum? I think it's either for the ego of the importance of what they have to say or for the ego of eliciting a response from others. What do you think? Why have you posted this comment (serious question)? 

EDIT: Mods I realise that this post is OT but since the thread is really "all about me" please don't remove it until I hear from Captain, I didn't know where else to place it.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Again thanks - whether I agree with all of what you say, every post I make and every reply I receive teaches me something about myself and/or others. 

Not sure about the sarcasm at the beginning but it's never a waste of a post to communicate with you.

I understand your comment about revolving discussions. A forum like this is very like a pub, people air there views and change them very little, not sure why you'd expect anything more on a forum to "real" life. 

I am aware that my writing style is antagonistic/abrasive - too often - it's probably because I'm a fairly unlikeable, antagonistic person. My only defence is that on a forum people who don't like my style can simply put me on ignore. If not, as in real life, if they are antagonised by a comment that is really their problem. We choose whether we are going to be antagonised or not and whether we reply to that antagonism.

I disagree with your belief that we should just ignore homophobism (or racism, sexism etc...) simply because we don't wish to offend. I think it's very important that we immediately comment on suchlike to show that it is unacceptable in our society and our forum. I don't believe that the person you refer to is a bad person, I think, that like everyone of us, he suffers from this fault through nurture not nature, his childhood and upbringing have ingrained certain thoughts which if he is made aware of them - being an intelligent and caring individual - he will question and realise that they are wrong and then adjust. I lived through the 60's and 70's and so realise how our social life and community can hide racist and homophobist views, making them seem the norm. I believe that I still have that problem with sexism, which I am trying hard to overcome. In the future I feel that it will be the same with our present treatment of animals.

Finally, I agree that your post does come over as patronising and condescending, but as I said earlier with regards my "style" it is up to the reader to be patronised or condescended to, I don't and take it with the spirit you offer it. I must say over the years I have always found your posts to be thoughtful and intelligent but over recent years they have become as dripping with condescension as a window pane in early winter becomes dripping with condensation. Maybe you have tired of the revolving door of the same arguments and need a change and maybe I'm talking out of turn or out of my arsenal.

Are you discussing penis envy?

I always find the accusation of "ego posting" or posting for a response strange on a forum like this. Most people don't "know" the other posters and well over 90% of the posts must be comments (There are a few factual posts - davie puts up most of those - and a few offers and requests). Why do you think people post comments on the forum? I think it's either for the ego of the importance of what they have to say or for the ego of eliciting a response from others. What do you think? Why have you posted this comment (serious question)? 

EDIT: Mods I realise that this post is OT but since the thread is really "all about me" please don't remove it until I hear from Captain, I didn't know where else to place it.

Yeah I’m pretty much a terrible poster at the moment. My thinly veiled contempt of most of this forum is probably just reflection of my own self loathing at the amount of time I’ve spent on here over the years whilst my levels of communication with real life friends has been pretty pisspoor. If half my posts on here had been messages to real friends I’d probably remember what their kids are called and what their jobs are.

I don’t want to turn into one of those posters who hark back to the good old days of an Internet forum, that’s the equivalent of 30 year olds singing the poddington peas theme tune in a desperate nostalgia trip. I’ll just say it’s probably not for me any more. I’ll still hang around like a bad smell, but I try not to get involved unless I’m really bored at work. I’ll try and be less openly condescending, but I can’t promise anything.

On 02/09/2018 at 10:46, Wymeswold fox said:

Am sure if any admin member was annoyed with my input, they'd inform me about it/provide a warning.

I post unique opinions here and there at times that can be quite mind-boggling to others, but have never had any intention to troll etc for reactions to laugh at.

As it seems you've got some form of history of being banned once or twice - perhaps you need to look at your posting style instead of trying to shift attention to those who don't try to troll others.

You sure about thst Wymesy?:ph34r:lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm currently limited per day and I don't have a clue why - it feels as though there is one poster who moans about me consistently, because I never get warning points or explanations, it seems to happen arbitrarily.

Any light shed on this would be most helpful.

This sounds like a proper whodunnit !!  ....    I suggest we act as a team Peaky like proper cops do and try and get to the bottom of it ...    we need to take statements of all possible suspects ...      you make a list of all those you think it could be ...    and, in a day or two, when you’re finished we can get started ...    will a day or two be long enough ?? ...   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm currently limited per day and I don't have a clue why - it feels as though there is one poster who moans about me consistently, because I never get warning points or explanations, it seems to happen arbitrarily.

2 hours ago, Walkers said:

I asked if they could limit your posts because I find you irritating

I think we’ve got an early confession Peaky ...    however !!! ....   if you recall the case of the murder on the orient express ....     there may be others involved !!!!   .....   Lets keep the file open for a bit longer ...    :thumbup:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Walkers said:

I asked if they could limit your posts because I find you irritating

And (if this is actually serious) that's fine until........well, irritating is pretty mild compared to some of the repetitive wumming and spamming on this forum. If everyone I found irritating got a restriction because I complained about it, we'd have a much quieter forum!

However, I think you might be pulling my leg :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2019 at 22:02, HighPeakFox said:

In the same boat.  I have a restriction and apart from being mildly annoying sometimes I genuinely cannot fathom why.  I have contacted the mods on numerous occasions for it to be lifted or at least for an explanation of what the limitation was for in the first place but no response.

@Mark I would be extremely grateful if you could lift my restriction or, at the very least, respond to my messages asking for an explanation.  I don't ask to be annoying but because, even though this makes me a loser, I genuinely enjoy this forum and like being able to comment.

Cheers.

Rumble.

X

6 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

In the same boat.  I have a restriction and apart from being mildly annoying sometimes I genuinely cannot fathom why.  I have contacted the mods on numerous occasions for it to be lifted or at least for an explanation of what the limitation was for in the first place but no response.

@Mark I would be extremely grateful if you could lift my restriction or, at the very least, respond to my messages asking for an explanation.  I don't ask to be annoying but because, even though this makes me a loser, I genuinely enjoy this forum and like being able to comment.

Cheers.

Rumble.

X

Get ready for the incoming Wymsey and he who must not be mentioned posts.

Rumble, just give up all hope and enjoy the frustration.

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Cheers.

Rumble.

X

I disagreed with the majority in a thread last week and it was seen as looking for a reaction. The other person brought up something completely irrelevant, told me my opinion isn't worth anything and then basically admitted to trying to trigger me. I had a 48hr ban. He had nothing. Its not worth trying to understand the mindset of the people who make these decisions

• Like 2