Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leeds Fox

Run a marathon... advice.

I’m wanting to run a marathon for charity, most likely next summer.

I’ve never really been a huge fan of running but I’ve always wanted to do a marathon, or even a half. 

I play football a few times a week and have an okay level of fitness. I’m willing to train as much as needed but in general after about 7 miles my joints (knees and shoulders) ache.

Any advice and tips would be much appreciated from some runners. 

4 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I’ve never really been a huge fan of running but I’ve always wanted to do a marathon, or even a half. 

I play football a few times a week and have an okay level of fitness. I’m willing to train as much as needed but in general after about 7 miles my joints (knees and shoulders) ache.

build your distance up slowly, don't push your self too much at the start.

Invest in some good trainers, go to a proper running shop they will check your running style and advise from there.

Drink lots and stretch a lot before and after

Enter a half first see how you get on.

I got into running about 6 years ago and aimed at a Marathon. I entered a couple of half ones and couldn't even imagine doing a full one after that.

• Like 1

Just now, goose2010 said:

Invest in some good trainers, go to a proper running shop they will check your running style and advise from there.

I got into running about 6 years ago and aimed at a Marathon. I entered a couple of half ones and couldn't even imagine doing a full one after that.

They were my thoughts exactly. I’m sure I could do a half marathon after some training but a full one might be a step too far :ph34r:

36 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

They were my thoughts exactly. I’m sure I could do a half marathon after some training but a full one might be a step too far :ph34r:

yeah the thought of running another half after I finished the first half made me feel ill! wasn't for me! but million do it and my misses said doing the London Marathon was amazing and she loved it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goose2010 said:

I would 100% agree with the trainers bit.. I got mine from a shop that had a machine that looked at your impact zones and you could get ones that specified to your particular foot land etc. Made a world of difference with joints aching. Also to learn to run really really efficiently.. not overstriding with stiff shoulders and your arms up etc. Your feet should not lift up tooo much and you should land on the mid foot.... apparently. Also to breathe in patterns with your stride. I do it in 3's, so In step step out step step etc etc.

I run about 10-15 miles regularly without too much aching after, but I built up from almost nothing thinking it was impossible to do 3 miles, to after a few months it got easier. 

Always wanted to do the London one myself!  

• Like 1

@Leeds Fox When you go for a run, try not to think of your achievement in miles. Miles are mentally exhausting and demotivating until you get two or so from the end of your target! Try and think about doing a run which takes 45 minutes at a reasonable pace - say 8 minute mileing or running for an hour and a half or two hours at a slightly slower pace but treat yourself to running somewhere nice, keep off the road and pavements especially if your joints hurt and go for a circuit say through swithland and bradgate or if you are up north, the Lakes.

Bulid slowly and you’ll find that if you start running for an hour and a half session, you’ll stroll a half marathon as the adrenaline alone will take you the extra mile or two that your are yet to complete in training.

For the last few years I have run to music - I go mainly for playlists that last about an hour so I associate certain bits of music with scenery - I know that when I hit the major climbs that a motivating track is about to drop which will get me up the hill with some aggression!

Think of exercise as a half of football, just 45-50 minutes of your life - don’t think oh for crying out loud it’s a rubbish cardio day which involves lonely, boring plodding until my body hurts! When you play a half of footy you don’t think about miles so don’t let it enter your head when you run! 

• Thanks 1

A marathon in 9 months would be tough, but it sounds like you're reasonably fit already so it would be doable, although you may need to have a goal just to finish rather than getting a fast time.

The key thing is to run most of your runs at a slow pace where you could easily have a conversation without being out of breath. A couple of these short runs each week, one longer run at a similar pace (for you, ~7mi atm), and maybe an interval session or tempo run if you want to get a bit faster as well (park run has worked brilliantly for me so far as a faster effort). Build that mileage up slowly - 10% a week is a good suggestion - and you'll have no problems at the HM distance.

Sign up for a HM for Feb-Mar, build up slowly and just enjoy the experience. You may decide that a Full is too much, or you may want to jump straight in. If you did decide to go for it that would give you enough time (and enough of an endurance base) that you could step into a proper training plan which are usually up to 18 weeks.

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2018 at 11:08, Leeds Fox said:

There's a couple of marathon threads already with some really good advice- check email out buddy

• Thanks 1