Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

All political parties ebb and flow. The Conservatives looked like a party that would never be fit for government in the late 90s and Labour were in trouble even before Corbyn (which was as much a symptom as cause). Lib Dems are no different and Liberal parties have been struggling globally suggesting there is a wider cultural trend against them. Layla Moran is the most charismatic potential leader we've had since Nick Clegg and also naturally left leaning from what I can tell which feels like the right fit post coalition. My only concern is she is also quite impulsive in personal character but I think that can be overcome with experience where as I don't think someone like Ed Davey can learn to be charismatic no matter how well crafted his campaign materials. In Layla I see someone human where as Ed feels like somebody performing a role. 

• Like 1

Amazing how what the Chinese get up to has such a impact on my life ...   stuck at home because of the buggers and now I get an email from easyJet that they’ve nicked my personal details ...  I’m really getting a bit of a downer on the sl**** eyed cvnts !

9B2F6343-FA50-49DF-9537-1FB73E89E285.jpeg

Edited by Countryfox

20 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

All political parties ebb and flow. The Conservatives looked like a party that would never be fit for government in the late 90s and Labour were in trouble even before Corbyn (which was as much a symptom as cause). Lib Dems are no different and Liberal parties have been struggling globally suggesting there is a wider cultural trend against them. Layla Moran is the most charismatic potential leader we've had since Nick Clegg and also naturally left leaning from what I can tell which feels like the right fit post coalition. My only concern is she is also quite impulsive in personal character but I think that can be overcome with experience where as I don't think someone like Ed Davey can learn to be charismatic no matter how well crafted his campaign materials. In Layla I see someone human where as Ed feels like somebody performing a role. 

I must admit that I have quite liked Layla Moran when I’ve seen her in media appearances. I just hope her dv arrest doesn’t have too much of an impact. 

20 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Don`t you feel that in the near to mid term, most liberal focused parties will be in for a tough time due to the rather concerning move towards isolationism?

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Don`t you feel that in the near to mid term, most liberal focused parties will be in for a tough time due to the rather concerning move towards isolationism?

I hope not - one of the key lessons that might be learned from this crisis is thinking that the status quo of the world will persist for a while is foolhardy.

When that happens, isolationism doesn't usually end well for a lot of involved parties - history is pretty clear there.

I guess we'll see if humanity has learned anything from the past in that matter soon enough, though. The next "shock" to the comfortable status quo by nature might not be so small.

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Isolationism caused by Coivd or in general?

Globalism can help solve Covid and other infectious disease threats by cooperation, learning from best practice in terms of lockdowns and testing and also in the creation and distribution of a vaccine when it arrives. I think in general Liberals have forgotten how to argue based on fundamentals that are easily explained to everyone rather than merely stating what they are doing or wanting an academic style argument which feels like trying to use clever language to deceive.

I also think the Lib Dems weren't actually that Liberal for a while and this has led to problems.

The Brexit culture war was pretty bad for politics and Liberalism because it polarised political debate around one issue. I was guilty of it myself, I think in hindsight Liberal historians will look back and be astonished that the party that is supposed to be about respecting difference of opinion ran a campaign that openly rejected 52% of the electorate, and that's on top of the right and wrongs of campaigning to overturn a referendum decision when the party supported the referendum vote. 

(In my opinion General Elections are superior to referendums because they result in an elected government ready to carry out the result, it was ludicrous for a Prime Minister to call a referendum knowing he had no intention or plan to carry out one of the choices.)

Edited by LiberalFox
  • Like 3