Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

Just saw that the comedian Amy Schumer and her husband, Chris Fisher, have legally changed their newborn sons name - was christened Gene Attell Fisher. After numerous people told her it sounded like Genital Fissure, she’s changed the Attell to David.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oakman said:

Just saw that the comedian Amy Schumer and her husband, Chris Fisher, have legally changed their newborn sons name - was christened Gene Attell Fisher. After numerous people told her it sounded like Genital Fissure, she’s changed the Attell to David.

Giving her child that initial name is the only funny thing she's ever done, and it was unintentional lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest MattP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52674809

Germany has made public burning of the EU flag or that of another country punishable by up to three years in jail, classing it as a hate crime.

The vote in the Bundestag (parliament) on Thursday makes defiling foreign flags equal to the crime of defiling the German flag.

The same applies for the EU anthem, Beethoven's Ode to Joy theme.

lol

You have to laugh or you'll cry, potentially throwing people in the nick for three years for burning a flag of a political union.

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

Germany has made public burning of the EU flag or that of another country punishable by up to three years in jail, classing it as a hate crime.

The vote in the Bundestag (parliament) on Thursday makes defiling foreign flags equal to the crime of defiling the German flag.

lol

You have to laugh or you'll cry, potentially throwing people in the nick for three years for burning a flag of a political union.

Just to be clear, you only think the law's silly re. political unions, not individual nations' flags?  As in they shouldn't be allowed to burn St. George's Cross or the Tricolore, but they should be allowed to burn or at least receive a lesser sentence for the EU flag?

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Just to be clear, you only think the law's silly re. political unions, not individual nations' flags?  As in they shouldn't be allowed to burn St. George's Cross or the Tricolore, but they should be allowed to burn or at least receive a lesser sentence for the EU flag?

I think the whole thing is absurd and if somebody wants to burn a flag in protest it shouldn't carry a three year prison term. I can sort of see why certain countries would have laws against it given historical situations though.

But it's ten times more hilarious they now seek to stop the burning of a flag of a political union or mocking it's precious anthem. I mean how bloody weird can it get. What's next?

Jail for the Man City booing the Champions League anthem? 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I think the whole thing is absurd and if somebody wants to burn a flag in protest it shouldn't carry a three year prison term. I can sort of see why certain countries would have laws against it given historical situations though.

But it's ten times more hilarious they now seek to stop the burning of a flag of a political union or mocking it's precious anthem. I mean how bloody weird can it get. What's next?

Jail for the Man City booing the Champions League anthem? 

My understanding is they're implementing a law against burning all foreign flags, including the EU flag, not taking special measures to add a law protecting the EU.

You say yourself that you can see why countries might have laws against it, I agree 3 years seems a bit excessive but beyond that I don't understand why the EU flag should be treated differently if you're going to have a law like this.

Guest MattP
16 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

My understanding is they're implementing a law against burning all foreign flags, including the EU flag, not taking special measures to add a law protecting the EU.

You say yourself that you can see why countries might have laws against it, I agree 3 years seems a bit excessive but beyond that I don't understand why the EU flag should be treated differently if you're going to have a law like this.

Because it's not a country, it's a political project, it's effectively a set of ideas. Nationhood is central to a person's identity.

Prosecuting people for burning the EU flag is as ridiculous as prosecuting people for burning the flag of the Conservative party.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Because it's not a country, it's a political project, it's effectively a set of ideas. Nationhood is central to a person's identity.

Prosecuting people for burning the EU flag is as ridiculous as prosecuting people for burning the flag of the Conservative party.

Interesting. Must never have received that particular memo. :D

• Like 2

Just now, MattP said:

Surely the law is about the message, the way a flag burning might be used by fringe groups as part of their radicalisation activities?  I can certainly believe that the EU flag is as much a target for that kind of behaviour as any national flag.

31 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Surely the law is about the message, the way a flag burning might be used by fringe groups as part of their radicalisation activities?  I can certainly believe that the EU flag is as much a target for that kind of behaviour as any national flag.

Do you get the same for just pi**ing on it............just asking for a friend...........

6 hours ago, MattP said:

lol

In my opinion the best argument for keeping the monarchy is you don't have stupid shit like this or making kids swear allegiance to a bit of fabric.  

On 12/05/2020 at 19:02, StanSP said:

He literally did nothing wrong. 

He was jogging. Innocently. Before he was stopped in his path and faced with a shotgun lol

'it's not his race that defines the case or outcome... It's his actions'. WHAT ACTIONS?! WHAT HAS HE DONE WRONG TO WARRANT BEING SHOT AT?! 

Your defence for the McMichaels knows no bounds and that is really worrying and astonishing. And that's not even mentioning race.

'what a fool...he wanted the confrontation...could have made it easier for himself'. 

Absolutely staggering. 

He was only "jogging" once he was spotted inside the house.

Do you see him sweating or being out of breath at any given point in the video material available?

But keep on pushing the "innocent jogger" version.

Like I've said before, it's a shame he had to die. Police should've solved this issue instead.

However, he shouldn't have punched the other guy and wrestled for that shotgun. Let's not make it out as if Arbery was completely faultless.

Edited by MC Prussian

20 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting. Must never have received that particular memo. :D

To each his own.

You live in South Korea, probably one of the more nationalist countries on this planet. And I don't see much criticism aimed at them in the media.

I don't subscribe to nationalism myself, yet I can see the purpose of a national identity and some of the (positive) idiosyncrasies of your own country of origin to be somewhat proud of.

Otherwise, it becomes all a bit wishy-washy. Would you want each country to be pretty much alike?

20 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I agree.

It's not as if flag burning is one of the more popular past times. It happens so rarely, I suppose the vast majority of people will never be affected by it.

And why burning a flag in the first place? The act in itself is a ludicrous waste of time and space.

This kind of forced and cheap symbolism isn't really luring people from behind the over any longer.

15 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

To each his own.

You live in South Korea, probably one of the more nationalist countries on this planet. And I don't see much criticism aimed at them in the media.

I don't subscribe to nationalism myself, yet I can see the purpose of a national identity and some of the (positive) idiosyncrasies of your own country of origin to be somewhat proud of.

Otherwise, it becomes all a bit wishy-washy. Would you want each country to be pretty much alike?

Not entirely sure what where I live has to do with my belief or lack thereof in national identity, other than the dyed-in-the-wool nationalists over here that do their very best to make life harder for us weigukin - doesn't make much of a difference if the people around me have that belief, I do not and I don't subscribe to the idea of anyone buying into it, wherever they live.

I'd like to think it's possible to preserve a sense of cultural difference between peoples without it going hand in hand all too often with the idea of superiority over those "others", but I'm not sure how possible it is. And knowing that, I guess it just comes down to whether you think preserving those differences is worth the price in blood and suffering attached to it. Some do, some don't.

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

'But what about his human rights?' Hopefully no-one in her family is ever killed with a blade.

I liked when the copper said back 'if you're worried about the virus, split up then because you're all stood together right now' lol 

• Like 4

So, Jeremy may not be the pottiest member of the Corbyn family 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52693383/coronavirus-jeremy-corbyn-s-brother-arrested-at-anti-lockdown-protest-in-london

92125792-84B6-47F6-A0AB-A74370EE13B4.thumb.jpeg.0110669e7ff8bd06f19b68e3c87959ba.jpeg

Coronavirus: Jeremy Corbyn's brother arrested at anti-lockdown protest in London

Jeremy Corbyn's brother Piers was among 19 people arrested at an anti-lockdown demonstration in London's Hyde Park on Saturday afternoon.

Hundreds of people gathered to object to their rights of free speech and movement being curtailed, with some holding several placards and banners including slogans like "freedom over fear".

Edited by Mike Oxlong

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

So, Jeremy may not be the pottiest member of the Corbyn family 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52693383/coronavirus-jeremy-corbyn-s-brother-arrested-at-anti-lockdown-protest-in-london

92125792-84B6-47F6-A0AB-A74370EE13B4.thumb.jpeg.0110669e7ff8bd06f19b68e3c87959ba.jpeg

Coronavirus: Jeremy Corbyn's brother arrested at anti-lockdown protest in London

Jeremy Corbyn's brother Piers was among 19 people arrested at an anti-lockdown demonstration in London's Hyde Park on Saturday afternoon.

Hundreds of people gathered to object to their rights of free speech and movement being curtailed, with some holding several placards and banners including slogans like "freedom over fear".

He was president of the students union at my college a couple of years before I got there, but still hung around the place with the International Marxist Group. Always seemed highly eccentric to me as I recall.

• Like 1

WHO conference going on, rather more important than it usually is this year. General sentiment seems to be one of unity

China say they'll back an independent investigation when cleaning up is done - guess that means they're satisfied there won't be anything that implicates them or they're confident enough they can control the narrative enough to make it look like that. Wonder which it might be?

US reps not spoken yet - wonder how they will play it, especially since they're no longer paying the club fee but getting in anyway.