Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

City vs Fosse

City or Fosse  

242 members have voted

1. 1. If you could vote again would you go with City or Fosse

• City
    • Fosse
    • I don’t care we are Leicester

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

When was the last time a club from the top 4 divisions in england changed their name? (Discounting mk dons or mergers)

Bit of a pedantic reply but Middlesborough

The club experienced severe financial difficulties during the mid-1980s.[20] Middlesbrough were dropping down the table, and finished 19th in the 1984–85 season. In April 1986, the club had to borrow £30,000 from the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) to pay wages. The final game of the season saw Middlesbrough relegated to the Third Division again.[9] That summer, the club called in the Provisional Liquidator and shortly afterwards, the club was wound up and the gates to Ayresome Park were padlocked. Without the £350,000 capital required for Football League registration, a new rule, it seemed inevitable that the club would fold permanently.[21] Steve Gibson, however, a member of the board at the time, brought together a consortium, and with 10 minutes to spare before the deadline they completed their registration with the Football League for the 1986–87 season.[22] Following the registration came both a change of club crest and a change of the official company name to Middlesbrough Football and Athletic Club (1986) Ltd.[23]

125px-Middlesbrough_crest_old.png

• Thanks 2

I like Fosse.

That said, I think changes to a club’s identity should be reserved for symbolic changes to hail a new period. Man City changing their badge for example - their success is going to be associated with their new badge, not the old one that was a mainstay of their mediocrity years. 

We won the Premier League as Leicester City, we took our first steps in the Champions League as Leicester City, and we’re moving forward as an established Premier League team as Leicester City. 

The shitty city,has always been a Monday morning,shop floor,office rebuke ...

But a Foxy-Fosse is hard to criticise.

Anybody can grab the rights to " city"

In fact the media only have one city in their reports and commentary..!!

Nottingham is unique, a Forest and a county...Sheffield,a utd & a Wednesday.

London clubs their own SuberbiaNames.

I suppose for us and many others it depends on what you feel,and the association to that prefix,one got use to.

I would be happy if we built up the "fosse", but just as happy if we keep hold of "city".. with the king Richard III connection..somehow "Dicks" wouldn't be appropriate,but I have heard it called out enough times...???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Royston. said:

When was the last time a club from the top 4 divisions in england changed their name? (Discounting mk dons or mergers)

Leyton Orient were originally Leyton Orient, but changed to Orient at some point before changing back yo Leyton Orient, at a guess, about 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, Royston. said:

Not quite the same, but Sunderland changed their nickname from the 'Rokermen' to the 'Black Cats' when they changed stadium. A wank idea.

Fwiw, I still refer to them as the rokermen in my own, private, micro tribute to days gone by :unsure:

Does anybody else not find it ****ing mental that the club allowed one of the biggest decisions in the clubs history (a name change is unheard of really!) to be decided by letting fans hold up placards that were left on everyone’s seat?! lol 

I’ve tried to explain this to so many of my friends who support other clubs and none of them ever believe me! 

Cant remember what I voted for, I was about 8. I think I just rolled my sheet up and started whacking me dad with it. 

• Haha 1