Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

City vs Fosse

City or Fosse  

242 members have voted

1. 1. If you could vote again would you go with City or Fosse

• City
    • Fosse
    • I don’t care we are Leicester

Recently, I have seen a few posters comment on our name and other clubs using the name City or being exclusively called City despite many teams having that name.

I think we as a supporter base are often looking for our uniqueness and identity - we don’t have a unique name, we don’t have one single rivalry that is mutual and unique to us.

In 2003 we were given the opportunity to vote on changing our name back to Fosse,  I along with the vast majority of Supporters overwhelmingly voted to keep our name as City.

Over the years from time to time I think about this, and when I read about ‘city’ as in Manchester,  Cov or Bristol I think it would be great to have our own unique identity. I now think I would vote for Fosse if the vote was rerun tomorrow.

Just wondering how everyone else feels.

So at the end of this season if Top said he wants to revert our name back to Leicester Fosse, and put it to a supporter vote - how would you vote?

Did you vote in 2003? Have you since like me changed your mind?

• Like 2

I like the name Leicester Fosse. I’m also not keen on the Leicester enunciation of the letter ‘y’ Traceh, Citeh etc...

If we did change it though we’d probably just be Fosseh after a few months anyway.

How about Leicester City Fosse as a compromise?

Never going to happen anyway I’d wager.

• Haha 1

I was one of the twenty odd people that voted F on the vote day! 

I still ill like that fact it’s individual, especially when we sing “There’s only one City!” When there are loads it’s seems silly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

@Voll Blau   I think.... put a very good argument forward in a thread similar to this.

Pretty much read along the lines of, all of our success came as Leicester City. 

There we have it. /end

Yeah, love the Fosse name and like the fact we remember it as part of our identity (thinking back I wish we had used it in the stadium name when it was built) - but we have been City for literally 100 years and have only ever won silverware under that name. To go back now would be for all the wrong reasons. Should only ever be considered if we had to re-form the club for any reason (I.e. hopefully never).

• Like 2

It's a tough one. There's not much variety in English football club suffixes. No club called City, United, Town, etc. can claim it as their own, so they are a bit pointless as names. But then, it is a big part of the club's history and identity. Fosse is also part of the club's history, though, and is unique to us only. It would take some getting used to, but I do like the idea of a bespoke name.

I can see the positives of choosing either City or Fosse, so I don't mind which, really. I just wouldn't be happy if the club changed its name to anything other than Fosse.

Edited by Raw Dykes

Back in 2003 I was quite keen to restart with Fosse, but I was quite surprised by how little support it received in the crowd.

I wonder if its because the name "Fosse" doesn't have much direct relevance today and it is certainly not terribly inspiring.  If our original name had been something like Leicester Victoria or Leicester Imperial say, then there might have been more appetite for the reversion.