Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hairy

Neil Peart

Bruford, Copeland and Peart. Technically, the greatest rock drummers in history. 

Very sad. I wondered whether this was the actual reason for the retirement as opposed to the arthritis, but the latter was announced in 2015 and apparently the glioblastoma was diagnosed three years ago. Nonetheless it has been a closely guarded secret so this was a huge shock to see this morning. 

RIP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2020 at 09:58, Line-X said:

Bruford, Copeland and Peart. Technically, the greatest rock drummers in history. 

Very sad. I wondered whether this was the actual reason for the retirement as opposed to the arthritis, but the latter was announced in 2015 and apparently the glioblastoma was diagnosed three years ago. Nonetheless it has been a closely guarded secret so this was a huge shock to see this morning. 

RIP.

Not seen this one before, unbelievable. As a drummer it makes you want to get your practise pad out and go back to your rudiments.  For about a decade.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not seen this one before, unbelievable. As a drummer it makes you want to get your practise pad out and go back to your rudiments.  For about a decade.

Neil once asked in response to the suggestion that he was 'perfected in his art', "what is a master if not a pupil"? Devoted to life-long learning, he refused to bask in accolades. plaudits or his own hype and was always seeking to improve. His interest in jazz drumming and respect for the late Buddy Rich prompted him in 2010 to re-learn under the tutelage of Freddie Gruber which required him to reappraise his timing and technique from scratch. Neil was aware that as a rock drummer, he was very rigid - his feel and fluidity on the final tours was striking.

• Like 1

Growing up in Canada, you had to have your Rush "phase"(unless of course you are female ;) ). That phase never really ends and I'll be listening to them 'til I die.

Neil was the reason I asked my parents for drums. They thought that would be too loud, so settled on an electric guitar. With the amp I got I think they might have regretted not letting me get drums :D

• 1 month later...