Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Red Squirrel

Jamie Vardy - best player outside of top 6... EVER

9 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

You've been a member of this forum for 8 years and apparently still haven't figured out that the name of the poster is at the top of the post?!

Sorry, I should have said “what the hell do you mean and why are you spouting this drivel in this thread?” 

Was being too polite...:blush:

• Like 1

The guy is an absolute legend, simple as that and Id love it if he gets the golden boot this season, to cap off a wonderful career.

A Premier League title and a Premier league golden boot for the non league player in his mid 20s is quite extraordinary. In 2 separate seasons as well(and a 20 and 18 goal season in between) shows how much of a genuine world class striker he is and not just a 1or 2 season guy. He found his level eventually at that's a Premier league legend.

I think its quite poetic that the guy who was a nobody in the non leagues scoring goals in front of tiny crowds will end up(hopefully) scoring his 100th goal at the top level in front of....nobody.

Edited by deanolegend1989

8 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Sorry, I should have said “what the hell do you mean and why are you spouting this drivel in this thread?” 

Was being too polite...:blush:

You're right. It is my fault. I should have added "IMO", I know fine well that some peoples arse' in here are tighter than Benkovic' hammy. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

You're right. It is my fault. I should have added "IMO", I know fine well that some peoples arse' in here are tighter than Benkovic' hammy. 

It wasn’t so much that you stated your opinion as fact, more that you hold the opinion at all, and think it’s that clear cut.

You can, if you’re determined to be neutral, make strong cases for other players than JV, and some might even have merit. But the only real competition is Le Tissier: everyone else is fighting for third...

Just now, Oxfordfox83 said:

It wasn’t so much that you stated your opinion as fact, more that you hold the opinion at all, and think it’s that clear cut.

You can, if you’re determined to be neutral, make strong cases for other players than JV, and some might even have merit. But the only real competition is Le Tissier: everyone else is fighting for third...

Jamie Vardy doesn't even make the conversation. The topic is played to play outside the top six. This year will mark the second year in which we have been IN the top 6 so he doesn't qualify. 

MLT was a great player but to my recollection, I've never saw a player dominate games the way Okocha did in a team like Bolton. I would argue that he was far more influential than Le Tissier was to his side. No question in my mind that had he played for an Arsenal or UTD at the time, people would view him very differently. 

12 hours ago, Goober said:

Absolutely MUST win our POTY this season. Bored of it now

You arseholes that voted for Maguire a couple of years back really have some making up to do.

100% agree.

I've never known a more scandalous winner of our POTY award then when Maguire won it in a season under Puel where we were the biggest one-man team in the division. We conceded goals by the bucket load that season (how any defender was even in the conversation I have no idea) and Vardy somehow getting to 20 PL goals with zero service and the best chance conversation rate in the country was the only difference between us being in a relegation battle and finishing top half.

It's like people get too complacent with just how good Vardy is they always vote for some newcomer or someone who's more improved because it stands out more than Vardy being his usual exceptional self.

We saw how shit we were when Vardy wasn't fully fit and not firing as well over January/Feb time this year. He has to win our Player of the Season Award this year - he's the difference between us and say, Wolves or Everton. He's the reason we'll be playing Champions League football next season 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Jamie Vardy doesn't even make the conversation. The topic is played to play outside the top six. This year will mark the second year in which we have been IN the top 6 so he doesn't qualify. 

MLT was a great player but to my recollection, I've never saw a player dominate games the way Okocha did in a team like Bolton. I would argue that he was far more influential than Le Tissier was to his side. No question in my mind that had he played for an Arsenal or UTD at the time, people would view him very differently. 

Well, the definition of Big 6 is crystal clear, even if it’s daft, and we’re not in it. That we’ve finished top 6 twice in his time with us kinda adds weight to his claim IMO.

MLT was all that was good about Southampton for years, won games on his own time and again. Okocha was a great player, but not hugely different from Zaha, Kinkladze or Grealish-shining brightly personally without actually elevating the team.

IMO

33 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

There shouldn't be even a case for Vardy. Shearer is the cast-iron #1 in this conversation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Well, the definition of Big 6 is crystal clear, even if it’s daft, and we’re not in it. That we’ve finished top 6 twice in his time with us kinda adds weight to his claim IMO.

MLT was all that was good about Southampton for years, won games on his own time and again. Okocha was a great player, but not hugely different from Zaha, Kinkladze or Grealish-shining brightly personally without actually elevating the team.

IMO

The argument WASN'T "Big 6", it was "Top 6"..... if you want to move the goalposts on that fine but we then have to talk about Alan Shearer..... 

16 minutes ago, Sampson said:

100% agree.

I've never known a more scandalous winner of our POTY award then when Maguire won it in a season under Puel where we were the biggest one-man team in the division. We conceded goals by the bucket load that season (how any defender was even in the conversation I have no idea) and Vardy somehow getting to 20 PL goals with zero service and the best chance conversation rate in the country was the only difference between us being in a relegation battle and finishing top half.

It's like people get too complacent with just how good Vardy is they always vote for some newcomer or someone who's more improved because it stands out more than Vardy being his usual exceptional self.

We saw how shit we were when Vardy wasn't fully fit and not firing as well over January/Feb time this year. He has to win our Player of the Season Award this year - he's the difference between us and say, Wolves or Everton. He's the reason we'll be playing Champions League football next season 

A million times this. People are almost numb to his brilliance.

Ndidi, Ricardo, Evans all been fantastic. But Vards is out on his own again. Scandalous if he doesn't get one this year. If he doesn't then he never will.

4 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

The argument WASN'T "Big 6", it was "Top 6"..... if you want to move the goalposts on that fine but we then have to talk about Alan Shearer..... 

It was always big 6, regardless of the OP’s misquote in the title. It’s a bbc podcast and poll, which Vardy won. If you didn’t know that, fair enough misunderstanding.

Shearer absented himself, having already won best striker and it being a bit too obvious.

14 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

It was always big 6, regardless of the OP’s misquote in the title. It’s a bbc podcast and poll, which Vardy won. If you didn’t know that, fair enough misunderstanding.

Shearer absented himself, having already won best striker and it being a bit too obvious.

Ok, fair enough. Misunderstanding acknowledged.

If you are talking about BIG 6 AND excluding the clear winner, Shearer then yes, Vardy is in the convo. As is Le Tissier but I'm holding my ground on Okocha, for me, he is on that list. 

Outside Man city and Liverpool, an argument could be made for him improving any current starting 11. The guy was incredible. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Goober said:

Absolutely MUST win our POTY this season. Bored of it now

You arseholes that voted for Maguire a couple of years back really have some making up to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vards more than some members of my own family but I'd put Cags, Riccy P and maybe Jonny Evans slightly ahead of Vardy. Just think they've been marginally better, not that that is any slight on JV whatsoever.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Vards more than some members of my own family but I'd put Cags, Riccy P and maybe Jonny Evans slightly ahead of Vardy. Just think they've been marginally better, not that that is any slight on JV whatsoever.

And this is the exact problem with people getting so used to Vardy's level of performances compared to anyone else...

Take Vardy's performances put our team this year and we're nowhere near top 4 - he was alongside Messi or Lewandowski for the most league goals in 2019 and we desperately struggled and you could see how the side wasn't anywhere near as good when he was getting injuries and playing at 70% fitness in the new year.

Soyunchu, Ndidi, Evans and Ricardo have all had fantastic seasons, but they stand out more because we're not as used to it and you don't notice it as much when they have an average game because they get covered more by their teammates. We'll see when Ricardo is out the side with this injury for example, he'll get us a few points over the season we might lose but he won't be anywhere near the difference Vardy makes. Vardy should be miles out in front in the POTY award, he's been amongst the top 5 attacking players in Europe this season.

Of course people are allowed their own opinion, but like when Maguire bizarrely won it, people are getting numb to just what another level Vardy is on and are always going to notice good performances from other players more. I think it's nuts that there's even a conversation about our POTY really.

Edited by Sampson

40 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

"Maybe" Evans? I'd put Evans ahead of Ricardo and Soyuncu. I think Evans' influence on the team is as big as Vardy's and I certainly don't think Soyonchu would be having as good as a season he is if he wasn't playing alongside Evans.

Agree with your point overall though.

Edited by Fox92

45 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I can't help but think that if Nacho was sat at the top of the goalscoring charts he'd be a clear favorite for the POTY though.

Those you mention have been fantastic but the bloke's an anomaly and looks set to pass 25 goals for the season. Who's been hitting those sort of numbers over the years in this division? Freakish 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

And this is the exact problem with people getting so used to Vardy's level of performances compared to anyone else...

Take Vardy's performances put our team this year and we're nowhere near top 4 - he was alongside Messi or Lewandowski for the most league goals in 2019 and we desperately struggled and you could see how the side wasn't anywhere near as good when he was getting injuries and playing at 70% fitness in the new year.

Soyunchu, Ndidi, Evans and Ricardo have all had fantastic seasons, but they stand out more because we're not as used to it and you don't notice it as much when they have an average game because they get covered more by their teammates. We'll see when Ricardo is out the side with this injury for example, he'll get us a few points over the season we might lose but he won't be anywhere near the difference Vardy makes. Vardy should be miles out in front in the POTY award, he's been amongst the top 5 attacking players in Europe this season.

I just think the three I've mentioned have been more consistent this season. If you ask me who our most important player is then I'd say Vardy but I always think the POTY should be the most consistent performer. Each to their own in that respect I guess.

5 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I just think the three I've mentioned have been more consistent this season. If you ask me who our most important player is then I'd say Vardy but I always think the POTY should be the most consistent performer. Each to their own in that respect I guess.

But he was injured and not playing at full fitness and defenders are always more consistent than strikers anyway because their average games are way less noticeable and they have others in their positions who can bring them through sticky spells in games and so are relied on less.

Meh. Goober put it better than me - if you'd replaced Vardy's performances and goals with Iheanacho, I reckon you'd be voting Iheanacho for POTY without a second thought because his performances would still have some novelty about them.

Edited by Sampson