Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Red Squirrel

Jamie Vardy - best player outside of top 6... EVER

It was a light hearted show which was just an excuse to talk about some different players. Some of you guys are getting offended by nothing.

Also, the clickbait title is a bit misleading as they deliberately omitted Shearer as he was on the show and they already talked about him in the top goalscorers list - they acknowledged that Shearer would obviously win otherwise.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It was a light hearted show which was just an excuse to talk about some different players. Some of you guys are getting offended by nothing.

Also, the clickbait title is a bit misleading as they deliberately omitted Shearer as he was on the show and they already talked about him in the top goalscorers list - they acknowledged that Shearer would obviously win otherwise.

It might have been a light hearted show but yet more reinforcement of the Big 6 myth. They really could've found a better way to discuss other players but then I suppose it wouldn't have provoked the reaction that it has. The BBC aren't above this sort of thing. 

They could have made it about players who never played in teams that finished above 6th. 

Really players like Batty,Speed (given he started out with then champions Leeds in the first season) and Vardy who won titles shouldn't have been on the list. Although it was good to be reminded of vardys brilliance on St Hazards day!

Wasn't a bad list other than that.

14 hours ago, Spudulike said:

It might have been a light hearted show but yet more reinforcement of the Big 6 myth. They really could've found a better way to discuss other players but then I suppose it wouldn't have provoked the reaction that it has. The BBC aren't above this sort of thing. 

How is the big six a myth when the clubs in question have the records they have in terms of top six finishes.

A fan of  each and everyone would rightly laugh at any supporter out side of that group suggesting they don’t deserve the status of an established top six club. The two I’ve heard gripes about have a straight decade of top six finishes behind them. The rest have done it 75% of the time over the last two decades. And that’s just to incorporate champions in waiting Liverpool otherwise it’d be about 95% between Man U and Chelsea.

Makes it all the bit sweeter when we did, and if we do again crash the party, particularly on a more regular basis if you ask me but maybe some are just happy shaking their fist at them ignoring the blatantly obvious.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

22 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's a Sky Sports concept used to sell. You know this. 

Neither Tottenham or Man City have "consistently done well since the start of the PL" they're both late comers that made the four a six when it was convenient for the media. 

It's a silly concept. Yes we all know what it means and yes obviously I was being facetious. But equally, indulging the notion and acting like its anything other than a catchphrase? Come on. 

Relatively speaking you can add Chelsea to that list. Prior to 2004 just domestic cups, during the premier league era

A bit of an odd one I thought as apart from Vardy all of the players included played many years ago. Cahill finished in the prem in 2012 but all of the others were the early years when the Sky Big Six didn't exist but most played for the top teams at the time. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 02:14, Manwell Pablo said:

The big six is a modern ideology of six big clubs that have historically consistently done well since the start of the PL era,  more so this century, and definitely even for more so in the last 10 years, we all know this ffs.  

Don’t get club status mixed up with individual achievements, United may have several players without a PL medal but they have also only failed to finish outside of the top six once in about 30 years, Arsenal have about 25 consecutive seasons in the top six, Manchester City have about 11 straight since the money from their take over took effect, with four league titles. Liverpool 16 out of the last 19 and they’ve blatantly won this won to make it 17 out of 20, Chelsea have missed out once in about 20 years. Even fcking spurs have have probably got over 10 in the last 15. 

They are considered the current big six because they tend to finish in the top six quite a lot.

You’ve also got three teams in there that have won the CL this century, another one that’s won a domestic treble, and even the other two can claim a CL final appearance.

Good post. Really pisses me off when Leicester fans cry about not being included in the typical top four or big six by the media - you know, who’s job it is to SELL their product, which often involved pitching it to the largest audience aka FANBASES. Makes us look stupid. 

If Leicester and/or Sheff Utd, Wolves etc finish in the top 6 10 or more times in the next 15 seasons and Sky and BT are still going on about ThE bIg SiX as they are now then the moaners will have a point to be fair.

Surely if they're counting Gary speed who was at Leeds and Newcastle when they were good, then shearer himself should win?

The top 6 has only been the top 6 for about 4 years. It was top 4 for a good decade before that. And before that it was utd v Newcastle for a couple of years then utd v arsenal for the rest.

Edited by Toddybad

There are different facets to be a big club, history, current success, and fan base home and abroad.  We certainly made history! we are working on the others playing the beautiful game.

Depends how you look at it, for example, I’d love a competitive match with Celtic , they think they’re a massive club and in terms of fan base they have a point, but in football terms its them that’s bang average, we have a better squad In Kevin Keegan style "id love it if we beat them" just to shove that smug banner about “mediocrity” back down their throats

The “Big Six” in the EPL has become outdated also, it’s more like  “the big two” currently and  if the likes arsenal continue to underachieve , with a new training ground and stadium expansion and playing in the champions league I  think perceptions will start to change

16 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Surely if you were gonna do the best 10 players to not play for a top 6 team it would just be 10 of ours from 15/16 cuz they won the league?

No cos Kante ,  drinkwater, Huth,  Simpson, mahrez, and even kasper have all played (or been on the books of) one of the so called big six clubs either before or after playing for us.

1 hour ago, Toddybad said:

Surely if they're counting Gary speed who was at Leeds and Newcastle when they were good, then shearer himself should win?

The top 6 has only been the top 6 for about 4 years. It was top 4 for a good decade before that. And before that it was utd v Newcastle for a couple of years then utd v arsenal for the rest.

Really ?

apart from us in 15/16, the traditional top six has only been entered by Everton (13/14 and 12/13,), Newcastle (11/12), villa (09/10, ) 

you have to go back to 08/09 to have two entrants 

and since 08/09, spurs have been top six every season !

39 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Really ?

apart from us in 15/16, the traditional top six has only been entered by Everton (13/14 and 12/13,), Newcastle (11/12), villa (09/10, ) 

you have to go back to 08/09 to have two entrants 

and since 08/09, spurs have been top six every season !

Well done Spurs for getting better, but that a 3rd of the time period they looking at. You've just looked at a ten year period.

One player springs to mind on this subject. Les Ferdinand. He played for Newcastle from 1995 to 1997, when they finished 6th, 2nd and 2nd. He played for Spurs from 1997 to 2003, when they finished, 14th, 12th, 10th, 12th, 9th and 10th. He not considered for the list because he played for Spurs.

Edit: David Ginola too. Newcastle same years as Sir Les, Spurs 1997 to 2000.

Edited by Facecloth

11 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well done Spurs for getting better, but that a 3rd of the time period they looking at. You've just looked at a ten year period.

One player springs to mind on this subject. Les Ferdinand. He played for Newcastle from 1995 to 1997, when they finished 6th, 2nd and 2nd. He played for Spurs from 1997 to 2003, when they finished, 14th, 12th, 10th, 12th, 9th and 10th. He not considered for the list because he played for Spurs.

I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah but I’m not sure what your gripe is other than it is a bit backwards. And these are backwards times and they got nothing no content.

Honest question what would you have preffeed players to never finish in the top six full stop?

Edited by Manwell Pablo

15 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Yeah but I’m not sure what your gripe is other than it is a bit backwards. And these are backwards times and they got nothing no content.

Honest question what would you have preffeed players to never finish in the top six full stop?

Tbf, that would have been a great show. Theres numerous great players over the years who never finished in the top 6. Or they could have limited it to the last decade. 

I'm enjoying the shows and I even enjoyed this one. Its great looking back on some great players and moments over the years. I just thought this one was a bit lost in its content, but I still enjoyed it.

They got to this quite soon too. They've done goalscorers, keepers, managers, foreign players and bonkers moments. They could still do defenders, midfielders, creative players, matches, best bargain buys. And that's just off the top of my head right now.

Edited by Facecloth

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Tbf, that would have been a great show. Theres numerous great players over the years who never finished in the top 6. Or they could have limited it to the last decade. 

I'm enjoying the shows and I even enjoyed this one. Its great looking back on some great players and moments over the years. I just thought this one was a bit lost in its content, but I still enjoyed it.

They got to this quite soon too. They've done goalscorers, keepers, managers, foreign players and bonkers moments. They could still do defenders, midfielders, creative players, matches, best bargain buys. And that's just off the top of my head right now.

It would of been, I’d of liked to see it. Hard work to put together though as a lot of players to consider of similar ability.

They’ve got weeks left to go yet and tbf some of your suggestions are good others are ones for the purists, a full hour on defending isn’t going to do much for some people. 😂 don’t get me wrong they could well get to that by the time live football is back.

As I’ve already stated I do understand your under lining point even if I don’t get the why it matters so much. My main issue is with the refusal (not you) to accept the big six aren’t considered to be such on sporting merit which if you look at the last ten years of league tables (a long time in sport) they clearly are. No different to the big four in tennis or the four kings in boxing during the mid 80’s.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I did say apart from 15/16 but your point stands.  Anyway, there has been a standard top six for more than a decade ......

You did also say apart from US in 15/16 👀😂

But yes completely right, lots of bluster about the top six being a media construct in this thread, and not one single bit of actual fact based evidence to back it up.

Big 6 is a media construct.

better arguments could be had for having a big 7 (with someone like Everton) or a big 8. Total media hogwash that some people WANT to believe.