Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whoareyaaa

gaming desktop

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

can anyone recommend an entry level gaming desktop for under £300 is that even possible? 8gb ram, ssd and a good graphics card are a minimum right?

its for a friends lad he wants to play fortnight on it any options out there?

cheers

Would be very difficult. Is building it yourself an option?

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

can anyone recommend an entry level gaming desktop for under £300 is that even possible? 8gb ram, ssd and a good graphics card are a minimum right?

its for a friends lad he wants to play fortnight on it any options out there?

cheers

I would definitely build it yourself to maximise what you get for the money. I will come back to you with the build, obviously this doesn't include monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk etc.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

If I was to go down this route what is the best place to get the parts from?

It is so easy to do yourself just following along to a YouTube video, honestly I've built lots of PC's and I'm useless at most technical things. As your budget is so tight this is the only way you dont end up with a piece of crap to put it bluntly. Will get back to you anyway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It is so easy to do yourself just following along to a YouTube video, honestly I've built lots of PC's and I'm useless at most technical things. As your budget is so tight this is the only way you dont end up with a piece of crap to put it bluntly. Will get back to you anyway. 

I've built plenty in the past its just the OS that is the issue how much is that? or is that part of the build?

48 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I would definitely build it yourself to maximise what you get for the money. I will come back to you with the build, obviously this doesn't include monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk etc.

I think I have a spare tower in the loft but if you can provide a full spec that would be great.

20 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Cheers, will take a look.. used to use OC about 10 years ago still going strong I see.

looks like I'm going to have to build it though ... :teehee:

I would get the list off that thread and see about getting it all second hand on ebay. OS you can get cheap keys on certain websites.

• Thanks 1

Will definitely save money building it but the price of components aren't that cheap at the moment. The issue with spending 300 quid on a gaming pc is that it will struggle with next gen games more or less out of the block.  Do you need a monitor? As that alone will add to the cost by quite a significant margin. 

To think of building a PC you need

Tower

Motherboard

Power supply

Ram

CPU

Harddrive

Graphics card

Fans

Windows copy? Unless you going to use a ripped version which is easy enough but you have to download it yourself etc. 

Monitor?

Keyboard and mouse? 

The question is can you get any of these parts second hand, cheap or free? You're probably better off trying to buy as many bits second hand if you can.

To be honest if this is just to play Fortnite you may as well buy a second hand Xbox one X or new series S. You can buy a second hand one x for about £150 now and a series S brand new is £250. Both will probably play games on better settings then what a 300 quid pc could do and both will play Fortnite at decent settings. Pretty sure Fortnite has crossplay on it anyway so you can play with someone on PC from your xbox. Although someone who plays the game will have to confirm that. 

If I was looking at spending 300 quid on a PC prebuilt then you really should be looking at second hand pc's for someone looking to upgrade their pc. Someone might do you a deal as they want the new graphics cards coming out and will be willing to chuck their old pc out for a couple of hundred. 

Reddit build a pc and overclockers forums might be worth putting a post on there to find out if anyone has an old pc theyre looking to shift. You can build a pc tower for 300 quid that will play Fortnite assuming you go down the second hand route. Not sure buying brand new parts at that level will be worth it. Eventually Fortnite will get old and then he might want to play the next game which the pc wont be able to handle unless it has similar graphics settings to fortnite. 

• Thanks 1

Building a PC on a budget is far more fun that going high-end as you need to make some compromises.  It's the PC builder nerds dream.  People have mentioned that £300 is a stretch but it can be done.  I recently built a PC for a friend and went for the below:

• GPU - nVidia 1050ti - £135.98
  • Case - Deepcool Tesseract BF - £29.99
  • Mobo - MASI B450-A Pro Max - £85
  • CPU - Ryzen 3 3100 - £93.98
  • PSU - 500W EVGA W2 - £39.98
  • HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - £39.99
  • RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 LPX (3200) £54.98
  • Total - £480

So all of the above are new parts and were ordered back in September so prices will be similar.  To knock it down to £300 would be a stretch but you could:

• GPU can go down to GT1030 ish at £70 however wouldn't exactly be a brilliant GPU.  Does gives some context for saving
  • Case - That was as cheap as I could find
  • Mobo - Cheapest AM4 socket (CPU dependent) I could find £54.49
  • CPU - Cheapest you can get are Athlon chips (Opteron 64 252 to be precise) at about £50 but similar to GPU, wouldn't suggest dropping this low.
  • PSU - Cheapest I could find is a £27.98 400W one (Aerocool Cylon (never heard of them)).  I usually recommend a known brand for PSU as if they go pop it can wipe out your components.  Not so much nowadays but worth getting a known brand.
  • HDD - 120GB SSD was the cheapest I could find at £15.49.  I'd strongly suggest an SDD as HDD are just awful.  Can see 480GB for £39.98
  • RAM - Again RAM is CPU dependent, as you should align RAM speed/timings with your CPU so not much movement there with the suggested CPU.
  • Savings over the above. Takes you down to £330.  That doesn't include peripherals like monitors, mouse/keyboard/sound/wifi card/windows etc.

So it is dooable for £300ish (minus some extra odds and odds) but scraping the barrel a bit.  As people have suggested, second hand xbox one is probably a better bet if Fortnite is all they're after.  Similarly, some of the game streaming services like Stadia (not got Fotnite yet I don't think) , xCloud or GeForce Now might be worth investigating as they don't require hardware to run even if not all games work yet on them.

Second hand market has some bargains on, but with the working from home situation a lot of PC parts have gone up in value due to extremely high demand.

P.S I'd suggest Scan over OCuk.  Used to be a regular with OCuk but they've gone a bit stale and their inventory is a bit light.  Recent Trustpilot reviews of them speaks volumes.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1