Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Everards sets out big plans for The Western Pub

I know a lot of Fans use this not sure how it will affect them.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/everards-sets-out-big-plans-4918574

Everards sets out big plans for The Western Pub in Leicester on the other side of lockdown
A revamp has been approved

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
04:00, 23 JAN 2021

One of Leicester’s most popular pubs is set to undergo a revamp that will see it extended and a new cafe opening.

Brewers Everard’s have secured planning permission to carry out work at The Western.

The pub, in Western Road, is currently shut because of the national lockdown, but Everards say their proposals will help secure its place as a hub of the West End community when it is eventually allowed to re-open.

Planning officers at Leicester City Council have approved a refurbishment of the 125-year-old building, which was home to a community theatre on its first floor before it closed.

An Everard's spokesman said: “The business has identified a need to create an additional offer to back up its traditional beer and spirit business.

“The introduction of a contemporary cafe area with its own entrance and shop frontage with offer a venue for the local community that may not patronise a purely licensed venue and will offer an additional service for the theatre patrons."

He added the aim of the scheme was to provide choice for customers either in the main public house, ‘with all the hustle and bustle of a traditional pub bar’ or in quieter separate zones.

The new cafe area will be within the function room lounge of the existing pub while a small new extension is proposed at the back to for a new food preparation area while still allowing access to the rear courtyard.

The spokesman added: “The Public House has a history of serving food and drinks and had a full commercial kitchen at first floor level but has recently been drinks led until its recent closure.

“The new offer is cafe related quality coffee and hot drinks with cakes, pastries and paninis.

“The first floor theatre is considered a major asset to The Western and also to the city Leicester and is planned to reopen when the current situation is acceptable, having a cafe as well as a licensed offer will only add to the inclusion and diversity and support the arts side of the business.

“The proposals will ensure the opportunity to develop the existing offer and maintain security and investment for The Western in the future in its role in the community as it was originally intended.”

• Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 12:20, SemperEadem said:

Crackers. In a city with good cafes in abundance and decent pubs dropping all the time you mess with one of the few left.

Messing with it by saving it. 

The previous owners ditched it, Everards are trying to keep it going. I imagine the locals don;t bother.

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Messing with it by saving it. 

The previous owners ditched it, Everards are trying to keep it going. I imagine the locals don;t bother.

The landlady sucked the life out of another city centre Everards pub, worried it will go that way also. Im old fashioned when it comes to what I want from a pub. Id like a snug or games room as the side room not somewhere to go and buy almond croissants.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

The landlady sucked the life out of another city centre Everards pub, worried it will go that way also. Im old fashioned when it comes to what I wan't from a pub. Id like a snug or games room as the side room not somewhere to go and buy almond croissants.

Drinkers alone are clearly not supporting the pub to the point that it's viable only with that sort of clientele. 

She is a strict landlady that's for sure, however, the Robert Peel is one of the only decent beer pubs left in that entire part of Leicester. The beer is always changing and usually decent. 

People saying the cafe is a bad move are most likely the same people who either, don't drink in there often and / or only use it shortly on a matchday. 

Pubs unfortunately need to change with the times and look at alternate ways of bringing in trade. We'd all love a bustling pub vibe throughout the week but it just isn't going to happen else they wouldn't need to change it in the first place.

I'm happy they're keeping it open and hopefully it works out without losing any character and it just makes the pub feel a bit smaller.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

The regulars judging by the comments on the Western's facebook and Leicester CAMRA are unhappy with the refurb.

Of course they are, it's a requirement isn't it? 

I would imagine they would prefer it turned into flats. 

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

pubs need to diversify if they want to stay open.

young people moving away from drinking / weekend binge drinking and older clientele dying out.

I look at the good pubs where I live and they don't add a cafe in to make them better.

• 1 year later...
On 25/08/2022 at 22:26, FoxFromCoalville said:

It’s crap on matchdays always have about 3 members of staff on and you wait 20 minutes for a pint

There are more people on the door doing the counting than pulling pints.Sad to see how it's gone.