Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JamesO

Solar panels advice

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Thanks for sharing this, mate. 

So you reckon for about a £20-25k outlay you could be pretty self sufficient and have negligible monthly bills. 

I checked my annual usage over the weekend, and it’s around 7,000kw’s, so similar to your example. 

Is this an installation company that you’ve gone to, or an energy company? 

So yeah my consumption at the min is over 7k and it’s likely to be around 11k with an EV.

Thats with a company called Solar Project I think, if you are based in Leicester I can point you towards the guy that came round mine as he’s done an excellent job of helping me get my head around it.

I’m not trying to figure out if that’s expensive even for about 90% self sufficient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Anyone know if there any cars with the capability, or bespoke solutions, to implement EV battery storage for domestic use yet? 

Tempted with solar myself, but only makes sense with the accompanying storage as we're rarely at home during peak generating hours. Seems ridiculous to pay for a 6.8 kWh battery for the house when I have a 64 kWh sat on my driveway (I'm a hippy who cycles to work so the car will be at home even if I'm not). 

That’s a smart idea!  It would mean your car would need to be onsite during peak producing hours, but I don’t see why that shouldn’t work?

Give Elon Musk a bell?!

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Anyone know if there any cars with the capability, or bespoke solutions, to implement EV battery storage for domestic use yet? 

Tempted with solar myself, but only makes sense with the accompanying storage as we're rarely at home during peak generating hours. Seems ridiculous to pay for a 6.8 kWh battery for the house when I have a 64 kWh sat on my driveway (I'm a hippy who cycles to work so the car will be at home even if I'm not). 

Having a Zappi installed today. If you plug your car in it diverts excess to your car to fill rather than storage or back to the grid.

22 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

So yeah my consumption at the min is over 7k and it’s likely to be around 11k with an EV.

Thats with a company called Solar Project I think, if you are based in Leicester I can point you towards the guy that came round mine as he’s done an excellent job of helping me get my head around it.

I’m not trying to figure out if that’s expensive even for about 90% self sufficient.

An update, I think their quote is very expensive and would probably get me to about 80% sufficient so I’m currently trying to get more quotes to compare to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

An update, I think their quote is very expensive and would probably get me to about 80% sufficient so I’m currently trying to get more quotes to compare to.

Which smart battery system were you looking at? 

Also, have you tried getting a quote via the Solar Together portal? I initially went down this route and the quote was OK but lack of finance options put me off. Might be worth a try though if you haven't done so already. 

5 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Which smart battery system were you looking at? 

Also, have you tried getting a quote via the Solar Together portal? I initially went down this route and the quote was OK but lack of finance options put me off. Might be worth a try though if you haven't done so already. 

One of the alarm bells with the quote I got was he can’t tell us the battery type…

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I noticed when visiting my son, I house nearby has 4 solar panels on the roof, all facing north.

The South facing front of that house does have a couple of tall trees just yards away, so I guess that's why, but how much does that affect efficiency to just have day light as opposed to sunlight all the time?

I would imagine 4 north facing panels probably don’t generate much energy at all but im by no means an expert.

3 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I noticed when visiting my son, I house nearby has 4 solar panels on the roof, all facing north.

The South facing front of that house does have a couple of tall trees just yards away, so I guess that's why, but how much does that affect efficiency to just have day light as opposed to sunlight all the time?

May as well not have bothered - their payback will be terrible.