Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
grobyfox1990

Jersey/Channel Islands based foxes

10 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Thanks, is it a good place for beer and pub culture? I’ve read your posts on the pint thread and you know your stuff 

I’ve only ever been to a couple of pubs there - I’ve been in family holidays to Herm (I’d recommend a day there - nice walks, good beaches and an excellent pub). It’s lovely but pricey which affects the pub culture. 

@Basingstoke Fox has been to Jersey but didn’t like it iirc lol 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Thanks, is it a good place for beer and pub culture? I’ve read your posts on the pint thread and you know your stuff 

Once had a night out whilst work midweek in St Heiler. It's okay 6/10. Pubs like the Lamplighter which are more your traditional fare. 

It's an interesting place - at times I found it plain weird - full of contradiction but there is a very relaxed attitude on the whole. 

• Like 1

I spent a week in Guernsey in July. Also visited Jersey and had day trips to Herm and Sark and did an overnighter on Alderney.

Absolutely brilliant place.

Guernsey - thought everyone would be driving round in Ferraris but the reality is that although there are some very wealthy people there, most people aren't. Also, the roads are shit, narrow and mostly with stone walls on both sides so most cars are scraped, scratched and dented. Some absolutely fabulous beaches and bays and an array of good pubs in St Peter Port

Herm - lovely for a day trip, can walk around the whole island in a few hours. Amazing beaches

Sark -  quite unlike anywhere I've been before. No cars or motor vehicles on the island aside from a few agricultural vehicles. Charming cafes, horse drawn carriages and bikes on dusty tracks. 

Alderney - another charming place with a real Island community feel. Got the speedboat there from St Peter Port and returned the next day on the twin prop (10 minute flight)

Jersey - only briefly visited as a transfer flight

Would definitely visit again. Amazingly friendly people

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’ve only ever been to a couple of pubs there - I’ve been in family holidays to Herm (I’d recommend a day there - nice walks, good beaches and an excellent pub). It’s lovely but pricey which affects the pub culture. 

@Basingstoke Fox has been to Jersey but didn’t like it iirc lol 

I did indeed visit Jersey, although it was in January pre-Covid times and from memory, it was very dark, rainy and there wasn't many options for places to visit in the evenings.

I would've loved to have visited the pillboxes and anything relating to the history of the island through wartime but there was no time for that during a work trip. I'd take my judgement of the place from this unfortunate scenario with a grain of salt, but hopefully it helps somewhat anyway.

• Like 1

The War Tunnels there are incredible btw - I had a right jolly there with work. Bizarrely they pick and choose British laws. They chose not to implement most of the Building Regulations hence a load of their public buildings were simply not accessible for disabilities and other matters. 

We had four days out there - they told us we had about 50 buildings to inspect. Got there five surveyors and we had 15 to inspect. We were put up in Radisson Blue St Helier - it was the 'fiverfest' week where all the restaurants did do two course meals for a fiver. Final day and half - we literally did **** all except sightsee. 

Luckily one of our group knew a couple of people who worked out there who would tell us the decent pubs etc. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Ah that's a shame you've lost contact, but nice to know they do exist. I have signed a contract for a role in Jersey, expect to move out there in the next 1-2 months.

Part of your contract a fortnight flight back and forth to the mainline? I know a few firms used to do that. 

Rugby Union is king every two weeks - loads of the island go the Rugby stadium next to the airport. 

46 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The War Tunnels there are incredible btw - I had a right jolly there with work. Bizarrely they pick and choose British laws. They chose not to implement most of the Building Regulations hence a load of their public buildings were simply not accessible for disabilities and other matters. 

We had four days out there - they told us we had about 50 buildings to inspect. Got there five surveyors and we had 15 to inspect. We were put up in Radisson Blue St Helier - it was the 'fiverfest' week where all the restaurants did do two course meals for a fiver. Final day and half - we literally did **** all except sightsee. 

Luckily one of our group knew a couple of people who worked out there who would tell us the decent pubs etc. 

45 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Part of your contract a fortnight flight back and forth to the mainline? I know a few firms used to do that. 

Rugby Union is king every two weeks - loads of the island go the Rugby stadium next to the airport. 

If you remember any of those pubs that owuld be great. Christ, im going to have to get into rugby aren't i....

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

They were in the same league as Hinckley until last season or maybe just before that. Some right travelling for them. They would travel up the night before and then leave right after the match. Some good investment there though.

• 3 months later...
43 minutes ago, YesNdidi said:

We’re in Jersey. Lots of foxes fans here, despite living on an island of plastics. We had helluva party in 2016.

Nice!!! I’ve been here nearly two months now, enjoying the challenge of the job and the island so far. I’ve met another city fan here who I keep in touch with. I will DM you