Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Music/Music producers podcast?

33 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Are you more interested in the musical side i.e. song arrangement, lyrics etc. or the technical, more engineering side of production and what actually makes the songs sound good?

Tape Notes is probably a good place to start. 

hmm im not sure lol... im intrigued about how a song is built, changed, affected by producers.. i think :)

Just now, ozleicester said:

hmm im not sure lol... im intrigued about how a song is built, changed, affected by producers.. i think :)

Rick Beato on YouTube is excellent, especially his "what makes this song great" series.

He leans more towards the musician side rather than the production side, but TBH I think you'd find all the technical jargon boring and meaningless if you've no experience with it yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Rick Beato on YouTube is excellent, especially his "what makes this song great" series.

He leans more towards the musician side rather than the production side, but TBH I think you'd find all the technical jargon boring and meaningless if you've no experience with it yourself. 

Rick Beato is a god among men

• Like 1

Tim Pierce's Iris Story with Rob Cavallo is my all time favorite. I've heard it rehashed on Dead Wax and Professor of Rock but both times it was like the interviewers watched Tim's video and basically re-performed the story.

Then Vice has a series on 9 huge hits:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 30/09/2022 at 17:51, Voll Blau said:

Probably not as specific an insight as you're looking for but Rockonteurs with Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt is fantastic.

Thanks, listened to ep 1 today was interesting (if a tad self indulgent) especially the stuff about Sid.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 00:16, NewEnglandFox said:

Tim Pierce's Iris Story with Rob Cavallo is my all time favorite. I've heard it rehashed on Dead Wax and Professor of Rock but both times it was like the interviewers watched Tim's video and basically re-performed the story.

This is great. 

Rob Cavallo is really underrated as a producer. Green Day's American Idiot and MCR's The Black Parade are two of the best sounding rock records of the past 20 years IMO. 

If anyone likes this kind of more in-depth kind of look at song deconstruction, then Warren Huart's Produce Like a Pro do a good series called "Inside The Song" where he deconstructs tracks with band members / producers and often has access to the stems of the originals song which is always interesting. 

Here with Graham Coxon pulling apart "Song 2" 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...