Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The boy Linacre

Premier League domestic flights:81 flights from 100 games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65017565

Got to say its not a good look is it.  And totally hypocritical, as always (total BS) to do this and then be flying all around England and then come up with this rubbish for "Green Weekend"

"The Green Football Weekend, which runs from February 3-5, is a campaign which sees more than 80 football clubs coming together in the fight against climate change; Liverpool men's and women's teams will wear sustainable green armbands in their weekend fixtures.  Glad Trent wore his armband, hope he wore it when he took a 27mins flight."

This weekend the FPL should say NO PLAYER OR TEAM FLIES GOING FORWARD, its a sport, bus or train like the fans, you shouldn't have to fly around England aside from the South Coast to the North East (perhaps), your planet and your kids futures depend on it you mollycoddled spoilt bunch, get down with the common people!!

Nobody remember the fires in London & Norfolk last summer and record heat??

Sit David Attenborough in front of them!!!!

I don't think they'll be able to defend this for much longer personally.

I don't mind so much for games where a team goes from point a to point b and both of those points have airports very close to grounds.

The problem is, when we do it we get a coach to Birmingham as we had a sponsorship with them (or at least we did, I think they sometimes go from EMA these days) to fly to wherever we are going. So it's not just the flight, we're literally getting on a coach anyway, in some cases travelling sideways or backwards to get to an airport, when we could have just stayed on the coach.

It's not like they're on megabus is it? The coaches they travel on are the height of luxury, barely even feel like you're on the road! 

But yes to summarise my main issue is that often these teams fly from somewhere or to somewhere that also requires another 45 mins/1 hour journey at the other end by road!

Pep Guardiola has offered a bizarre explanation following Manchester City's 1-0 defeat at Tottenham - and admitted the journey was like going to "northern Europe".

He said: "Coming from Manchester to London, it's like going to northern Europe. It's four hours, 20 minutes to get to a hotel. It's so exhausting, I'm sorry. We need to come back to Manchester and prepare the game against Aston Villa."

Less flying by Prem teams would of course be a good part of the necessary solution to the very big problem that is if not already upon us, is closing fast.

However, by comparison, it's also a very small part, as is aviation in general, of the problem that needs addressing. .

Energy generation, by far and away, is the biggest contributor.

I guess they can afford it and it's seen as the quickest way to make a journey (do Man U still get the train down to London though?)

Mind you Arsenal did take the pee the other season with a 12 minute flight to Norwich!

Bet they don't get held up at customs and booking in.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Pep Guardiola has offered a bizarre explanation following Manchester City's 1-0 defeat at Tottenham - and admitted the journey was like going to "northern Europe".

He said: "Coming from Manchester to London, it's like going to northern Europe. It's four hours, 20 minutes to get to a hotel. It's so exhausting, I'm sorry. We need to come back to Manchester and prepare the game against Aston Villa."

Oh no, those poor people!

Make fans drink through paper straws but cannot take the train Manchester to London. Just ban all flights within England and Wales many the rest of us travel 3 hours work 10 travel 3 back it’s just because they can not because it has any benefit. Remember Schmeichel used to be driven Cheshire to Leicester every day for training.

3 hours ago, The boy Linacre said:

Liverpool men's and women's teams will wear sustainable green armbands in their weekend fixtures

Surely it’s more sustainable to reuse their existing armbands, is it not?

A bit like LCFC not issuing physical season ticket cards, then set fire to the air before kick-off.

image.thumb.png.4be28c193023e38a93c0d38c89a02a6f.png

Edited by Otis
  • Like 2

Why is it every time I read something like this I feel it is presented to get maximum drama?  100 flights, 40 return flights seems to be the actual statistic.  So 40% of matches involve the away team flying there and back.

Planes are always moving around empty so that stat is a bit pointless imo.

Is it good optics?  No.  Will it make any difference whatsoever?  No.  

3 hours ago, marbles said:

The only people who should be allowed to fly around the country, are the celebrities and politicians who tell us we need to do more to save the environment

:ph34r:

:dunno: See above, though I understand you're being facetious.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1