Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wasyls Pec Deck

Cost of wood look UPVC windows

On 13/08/2023 at 20:50, LCFCCHRIS said:

Upvc on my home I bought this year. They were done in 2006 and don’t show a sign of age that I can see as a total non expert in the field. 

Mine are upvc as well, and were put in in 1984, and none of them have any problem apart from one handle that doesn't shut properly.  No condensation or anything.

I reckon many double glazing companies provide built-in obsolescence to make sure they keep getting new business.  It's a ropey field.

To the OP I would agree, avoid the big companies.  Ask around, find people who have had them fitted by a local trader and they are still good.

One last tip about builders - if you find one who is hopeless at bookkeeping, loses your records, has to be chased for a bill, and so forth - the chances are he's a very good builder.  Someone who admin is a shambles and is still in business, has to be doing something right, and it can only be the building work!

• Like 2

For those hardy few who are following my quest at getting wood look UPVC and not being ripped off in the process, Everest have just come back after I questioned their original quote and all of a sudden £2.5k has come off the original quote. Funny that because at the time the guy said he couldn’t budge on price!

We are exploring other options, more local firms and also people who supply trade and then we find a fitter (we know people…). 

Such a lottery this business, and I would never approach a big company again - all seem to be a few pence short of a pound and chat absolute shit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2023 at 18:35, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

For those hardy few who are following my quest at getting wood look UPVC and not being ripped off in the process, Everest have just come back after I questioned their original quote and all of a sudden £2.5k has come off the original quote. Funny that because at the time the guy said he couldn’t budge on price!

We are exploring other options, more local firms and also people who supply trade and then we find a fitter (we know people…). 

Such a lottery this business, and I would never approach a big company again - all seem to be a few pence short of a pound and chat absolute shit.

Personally mate , I'm not a big fan of wood look pvcu ,

I installed them in my house 20 years ago and  over time the foil can lift.Maybe it was poor quality profile  or whether I was unlucky I don't know .

Now 20 years may be an  acceptable  life span  ( the sealed units probably won't last that long,) but neighbours  around us who have older  standard white frames still look very good in comparison.

• Like 1

Several years ago we had some quotes for a conservatory, including a quote from one of the major companies.

We were quoted nearly £20 000 for a high spec one. (As I said, this was some years ago) That was way more than we could afford, so the salesman made some compromises, including lowering the specs and white uPVC instead of the wood effect we were after. It still totalled around 12k.

We declined.

A week or two later, their office called us offering the high spec conservatory for 12k. When I declined, they dropped to 10k!

Half the original quote!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Several years ago we had some quotes for a conservatory, including a quote from one of the major companies.

We were quoted nearly £20 000 for a high spec one. (As I said, this was some years ago) That was way more than we could afford, so the salesman made some compromises, including lowering the specs and white uPVC instead of the wood effect we were after. It still totalled around 12k.

We declined.

A week or two later, their office called us offering the high spec conservatory for 12k. When I declined, they dropped to 10k!

Half the original quote!

Do these people not realise people see through this and does all that make you want to do business with these people?!