Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Big Dave

Full Fibre Broadband

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I wasn´t sure where to put this, but this thread will do.

We get around 850mbps downstairs, but this reduces to only around 350 upstairs. I´ve been looking at a wifi extender, but it seems that mesh is better, has anyone got any recommendations please, or pros and cons between them please?

I've got 3 Deco M5 across our house as a mesh network.  Works pretty seamlessly, albeit, sometimes your tech stays connected to a mesh router in a different part of the house which can reduce speed, but it essentially gets rid of any areas of WiFi not being accessible.  Bonus is I've put one by the garden, so we have full fibre in the garden too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I've got 3 Deco M5 across our house as a mesh network.  Works pretty seamlessly, albeit, sometimes your tech stays connected to a mesh router in a different part of the house which can reduce speed, but it essentially gets rid of any areas of WiFi not being accessible.  Bonus is I've put one by the garden, so we have full fibre in the garden too. 

I’m using three TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro units, as access points though. 
They’re dead easy to set up and use with the app. 

On 27/11/2023 at 19:30, jgtuk said:

I’m using three TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro units, as access points though. 
They’re dead easy to set up and use with the app. 

i'm assuming you have to run ethernet cables through the house though for each access point? 

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

i'm assuming you have to run ethernet cables through the house though for each access point? 

I do from router to the first one then wireless to the others. My walls are 600mm thick so I've had to move them around to get the best out of them but they are brilliant and so easy to set up and move around for best connection.

• 2 months later...

Finally got my full fibre broadband fitted a couple of weeks ago (after constant pissing about by Openreach since November).

Went with Plusnet on their 300 Mbps package.

Broadband speed near their router is great, getting the correct speed (plus a bit more).

The router is shocking though - in my office upstairs, only getting about 15 Mbps (dropping off from over 300 next to the router).

Used to have Vodafone broadband and got a pretty much constant 35Mbps around the whole house - very little drop off anywhere in the house.

I have spoken to Plusnet and they say the drop off is normal?

Anyone else experienced such a big drop off in broadband performance?

Guessing I need a WiFi Mesh system? Not sure where to start with that. Any ideas for a cost effective system? 

1 minute ago, Big Dave said:

Finally got my full fibre broadband fitted a couple of weeks ago (after constant pissing about by Openreach since November).

Went with Plusnet on their 300 Mbps package.

Broadband speed near their router is great, getting the correct speed (plus a bit more).

The router is shocking though - in my office upstairs, only getting about 15 Mbps (dropping off from over 300 next to the router).

Used to have Vodafone broadband and got a pretty much constant 35Mbps around the whole house - very little drop off anywhere in the house.

I have spoken to Plusnet and they say the drop off is normal?

Anyone else experienced such a big drop off in broadband performance?

Guessing I need a WiFi Mesh system? Not sure where to start with that. Any ideas for a cost effective system? 

Depends whether you want to run Ethernet cable to a wireless access point (or two, three etc).

Next best is wifi mesh followed by those plug in jobbies which use your ring main.

I use TP-link Deco XE75 pro units (one master and 4/5 linked wirelessly) and they are excellent, hardly any drop in bandwidth but I did have to site them correctly to set them up.

Check wall thickness and distances between rooms to work out which type and how many you need.