Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Big Dave

Full Fibre Broadband

Has anyone upgraded from regular broadband to full fibre broadband?  What speeds did you go for / actually achieve?

Was the speed difference noticeable and worth the extra cash?

What was the installation process like? Does the internal connection get installed in the same or a different location?

Hi, 

I have it installed in a few of my companies - went for the Gigabit connection (with 120Mbps upload) for £50 a month
Installation was fairly painless and speed difference is very noticeable.

They tend to put the connection close to where the original phone line is but I'm sure they will put it where you want if you make the installers a cup of tea. 

4 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Has anyone upgraded from regular broadband to full fibre broadband?  What speeds did you go for / actually achieve?

Was the speed difference noticeable and worth the extra cash?

What was the installation process like? Does the internal connection get installed in the same or a different location?

Everyone is going to be on fibre soon anyway so you're delaying the inevitable if you don't. It's definitely worth it though 

5 hours ago, Vaz said:

Hi, 

I have it installed in a few of my companies - went for the Gigabit connection (with 120Mbps upload) for £50 a month

They tend to put the connection close to where the original phone line is but I'm sure they will put it where you want if you make the installers a cup of tea. 

:brendan:

19 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Not everyone. In Oadby main streets are getting it but side streets aren't. It's pretty crappy round here.

OpenReach are getting rid of their copper infrastructure by the end of 2025, so everyone will be on fibre. https://www.openreach.com/broadband-network/fibre-availability#:~:text=We're in the middle,has to be planned carefully. This says 2026, so they may have actually pushed it back, or you'll need a VoIP/digital phone system by the end of 2025 with fibre following if not already.

I work in telecoms/networking and we've been told for any new customers or new customer sites to stop selling it by September this year.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

OpenReach are getting rid of their copper infrastructure by the end of 2025, so everyone will be on fibre. https://www.openreach.com/broadband-network/fibre-availability#:~:text=We're in the middle,has to be planned carefully. This says 2026, so they may have actually pushed it back, or you'll need a VoIP/digital phone system by the end of 2025 with fibre following if not already.

I work in telecoms/networking and we've been told for any new customers or new customer sites to stop selling it by September this year.

Yeah no plans in our area according to that site. Just the way it is.

16 hours ago, Vaz said:

Hi, 

Oooh look at me!!!😁😁😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yeah no plans in our area according to that site. Just the way it is.

That's not always right, mine says not available in my area, but I'm on the 1GB plan with Virgin and have been for 2 years now.

One of the best things I ever did, makes online gaming and downloading stuff so easy, I remember the days of playing CoD and Fifa online, lagging or being kicked out of games constantly, used to drive me up the wall as a teen.

• Like 1

Not much use to you, but we have a local (Devon) business called Jurassic Fibre and they are progressively installing fibre in urban areas like mine, and offering brilliant deals. I signed up because Shell Broadband increased my so-called fixed monthly cost from £20 to £22.50 for a 35mbs service.

I now pay £25 a month for 150mbs: their rates go up to 950mbs for 38 quid a month. The after-sales is very good and the speed is incredible. Only downside is that they don’t offer email services, so my smtp service (for Outlook) has to be bought elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

That's not always right, mine says not available in my area, but I'm on the 1GB plan with Virgin and have been for 2 years now.

One of the best things I ever did, makes online gaming and downloading stuff so easy, I remember the days of playing CoD and Fifa online, lagging or being kicked out of games constantly, used to drive me up the wall as a teen.

Virgin don't use OpenReach which is probably why you aren't on there, you'll have flexibility to move around soon though and remain on a similar service.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Consider yourselves lucky max in my area is 50-79 mb.

I've called the providers and no plans to do our street. 

They will have plans, the solution you're on now is being made redundant, just ask them what happens when they stop copper services in a few years if they don't have plans.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

23 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Consider yourselves lucky max in my area is 50-79 mb.

I've called the providers and no plans to do our street. 

Envy, 30mb tops here...

Realise that does read like an old fart complaining he had to walk 5 miles to school barefoot everyday.

Not sure if there's similar providers in Leics but down here in rural Bucks we use a satellite broadband service.

There's no fibre in the village and no date imminent so us many of us use a company called Rapid Rural. It requires a small white dish on the chimney and costs £42 a month.

Typical download speed is over 250 mbs and upload over 50 mbs which is perfectly adequate.

Only issue is when there's thunder/lighting around and it can sometimes drop out. 

• 4 months later...

I wasn´t sure where to put this, but this thread will do.

We get around 850mbps downstairs, but this reduces to only around 350 upstairs. I´ve been looking at a wifi extender, but it seems that mesh is better, has anyone got any recommendations please, or pros and cons between them please?

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We get around 850mbps downstairs, but this reduces to only around 350 upstairs. I´ve been looking at a wifi extender, but it seems that mesh is better, has anyone got any recommendations please, or pros and cons between them please?

Is it possible to use a wired connection between access points and WiFi from them? I have 1gig connection to my router, ethernet cable to 3 different access points around the house and use them for WiFi except main tv which is connected directly to one of the access points via ethernet. 
If you can’t use Ethernet, just use the access points as WiFi extenders. My house has walls 600mm thick so I opted for cable as I’m currently working on it anyway. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Is it possible to use a wired connection between access points and WiFi from them? I have 1gig connection to my router, ethernet cable to 3 different access points around the house and use them for WiFi except main tv which is connected directly to one of the access points via ethernet. 
If you can’t use Ethernet, just use the access points as WiFi extenders. My house has walls 600mm thick so I opted for cable as I’m currently working on it anyway. 

That’s what I’ve done at my place, I think I have about 4 wifi access points scattered around linked by lan cabling and switches. I’ve read about mesh wifi, but it sounds relatively expensive, and my cobbled together network still seems to do the job.

Another useful tool is a set of powerline adapters that provide lan connections over your electrical cabling. These can be used together with wifi access points to provide uniform coverage over the house. When they work they are brilliant, but they don’t in all cases.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

I’m getting mega fast speeds, hardly any loss through the cable/access points. 
I’m currently rebuilding the house and just put in for planning for 2 barns to be converted so I’m putting in fibre optic for future proofing so I can have a network over the whole place. 

56 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Do you know what the wireless standard of the devices receiving/sending are? (Wi-Fi 0-6). The speed of WiFi could be limited by the standard of WiFi hub and receiver you've got and getting an extender might not do anything for you. 

Check the model of your WiFi hub for Wi-Fi standard. With the other device, if its a laptop you can go into devices to see the WiFi standard and find the speed limit of it. 

• Like 1