Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Is there a team?

In some ways it is the above that worries me most. All the players you mention are good, and generally positive footballers, people who can and should be moulded into a really strong attacking team. And yet we get such bad results, play so negatively and with so little belief in ourselves. And, we don't even use Sheehan.

Thrac, I don't understand why you continually claim that we play negative football. We are, in fact, playing some of the most exciting attacking football the club has seen for years; it's just going to take some time for the young, inexperieced players to mould together. And of course there will be the odd occassion that Levein sets his stall out to contain and try and nick a win but all teams do that from time to time.

Levein as Director of Football anyone? Overseeing transfers, heading up scouting and negotiating hard to get us some of the bargains that he has shown he can do and maybe a young up an coach (Nigel Clough) to help out with selection, tactics and man management with a view that he will take over in the future - a la Adams from Basset?

I think Levein is too young to consider such a (de)promotion. He is here to a job and has the look of someone who is self driven and focused.Knows where he is going but not necessarilty how.

As for Nigel Clough he is staying put. I live in Burton and know loads of Albion fans who tell me he loves it here. The family atmosphere and security of job plus excellent Chairman in Ben Robinson mean more to him I think than a move into the unknown.I get the feeling he values his quality of life in a small provincial town over and above the pressures of league management. It may alter in the future if and when he wants a new challenge I suppose.

Levein as Director of Football anyone? Overseeing transfers, heading up scouting and negotiating hard to get us some of the bargains that he has shown he can do and maybe a young up an coach (Nigel Clough) to help out with selection, tactics and man management with a view that he will take over in the future - a la Adams from Basset?

Gee, I wonder why you think Nigel Clough should be our next manager :ermm:

BACK ON TOPIC HERE.

The answer to Ric's original question is NO.

I don't think that nay other Championship team has as many young potential stars as we have.

I would question who is to thank for this though.

Sheehan was bought to the club by Micky Adams.

I'd assume that the likes of Stearman and Wesolowski were trialed and signed under the era of Taylor.

McCarthy, Hughes, Smith, Hume and Fryatt are obviously all Levein signings.

BACK ON TOPIC HERE.

The answer to Ric's original question is NO.

I don't think that nay other Championship team has as many young potential stars as we have.

I would question who is to thank for this though.

Sheehan was bought to the club by Micky Adams.

I'd assume that the likes of Stearman and Wesolowski were trialed and signed under the era of Taylor.

McCarthy, Hughes, Smith, Hume and Fryatt are obviously all Levein signings.

I think Watford fans may argue

Is there a team in this league that has 5 better players under the age of 21 than we have?

Matty Fryatt

Ryan Smith

Richard Stearman

Alan Sheehan

James Wesolowski

Infact none of that list is over the age of 19!!!!

Then you've got Iain Hume, Paddy McCarthy and Stephen Hughes who all miss out by a year and Ashley Chambers who will join the list in a year or two.

I know it counts for nothing if we don't pick up points, but surely it's something to be proud of? I certainly like the policy Levein has in signing players, it might a good idea to sign one or two talented experienced players but i'm delighted with the majority of Levein's transfers. It's great to see that his last 2 signings have both been English albeit one of them is only on loan but even so it's good to see a few young fellow countrymen playing for Leicester.

Thats what we should be concentrating on!

It's no use having a young squad that can't compete.

We should have a balance of young and experienced players and the young ones shouldn't just be in the side because they are cheap and hopefully we can mould them into good players, they should be there on ability and IMO a few of them are not ready for the rough and tumble of championship football.

Saying that it doesn't help when most of our experienced players have had their day!

If you are going to mix youth with experience the experienced players need to be playing above their game and at present most of them are not.

Yes! but they would lose :D

I think their main arguemnt would be Ashley Young is better then the lot of them, and that their current crop of 18,19 year olds will be just as good, of which there are about 5 or 6 (only a couple making a few apperances ). The first statement you will have a job disputeing succesfully as Smith isn't even our player and Weso is yet to play a first team game. Also Southampton, Theo Walcott,Leon Best,Martin Cranie,Matthew Mills,Nathan Dyer. They'd definatley argue.

I think their main arguemnt would be Ashley Young is better then the lot of them, and that their current crop of 18,19 year olds will be just as good, of which there are about 5 or 6 (only a couple making a few apperances ). The first statement you will have a job disputeing succesfully as Smith isn't even our player and Weso is yet to play a first team game. Also Southampton, Theo Walcott,Leon Best,Martin Cranie,Matthew Mills,Nathan Dyer. They'd definatley argue.

Our trouble is that we see everything through Blue-Tinted Spectacles.

We dont really know much about the other squads in the division and I'm sure if you looked into it then you would find better players then all of those mentioned in the original post.

Thats not to say that we shouldn't be looking forward to seeing them play in the same Leicester City team in a couple of years time but I feel by that time more then half of them will have moved on.

Thats what we should be concentrating on!

It's no use having a young squad that can't compete.

We should have a balance of young and experienced players and the young ones shouldn't just be in the side because they are cheap and hopefully we can mould them into good players, they should be there on ability and IMO a few of them are not ready for the rough and tumble of championship football.

Saying that it doesn't help when most of our experienced players have had their day!

If you are going to mix youth with experience the experienced players need to be playing above their game and at present most of them are not.

Obviously points is all that matters, but would we have more points if we had the team we had under Adams last season? Possibly, but the fact is we couldn;t carry on running the club like we did with players over the age of 30 signing on one year deals and then replacing them every season. Levein has gone completely the other way and your right we do need a blend of experience and youth and we have. The problem is the experienced players we have are either crap (Dublin, Wilcox, Tiatto) or they are crap and aren't experienced in english football anyway (Douglas, Sylla, de Vries)

I'd be interested to hear which young players you don't think are ready?

We dont really know much about the other squads in the division and I'm sure if you looked into it then you would find better players then all of those mentioned in the original post.

Thats not to say that we shouldn't be looking forward to seeing them play in the same Leicester City team in a couple of years time but I feel by that time more then half of them will have moved on.

Signed by bigger clubs, no doubt.

Lets push this a bit further then. How many Leicester players would get into a Championship XI????

GK:R.Green

DL: J.Harley

DR: P.Jagielka

DC: M.Kilgallon

DC: C.Lundekvam

ML:R.Smith

MR:T.Walcott

MC:S.Sidwell

MC:J.Gudjohson

FW:D.Ashton

FW:A.Johnson

I reckon 2, Smith & Joey!

I think your probabley right there. Unfortunatley were not the only club with talanted youngsters :-(.

Obviously points is all that matters, but would we have more points if we had the team we had under Adams last season? Possibly, but the fact is we couldn;t carry on running the club like we did with players over the age of 30 signing on one year deals and then replacing them every season. Levein has gone completely the other way and your right we do need a blend of experience and youth and we have. The problem is the experienced players we have are either crap (Dublin, Wilcox, Tiatto) or they are crap and aren't experienced in english football anyway (Douglas, Sylla, de Vries)

I'd be interested to hear which young players you don't think are ready?

No I'd say the young players are almost there, it's the experienced players they play with who need replacing!

The young un's need support and the three old pro's you mention above do not give it.

No I'd say the young players are almost there, it's the experienced players they play with who need replacing!

The young un's need support and the three old pro's you mention above do not give it.

I agree, but i'm not sure whether it will happen.

I agree, but i'm not sure whether it will happen.

These are probably not the best examples but players like Gary Kelly, David Unsworth, Neil Sullivan, Craig Short, Steve Stone and Neil Shipperley, now I'm not saying they would fit in at Leicester but you know what I mean players like that.

What do we have Dublin, Tiatto, Wilcox :rolleyes:

Is there a team in this league that has 5 better players under the age of 21 than we have?

Matty Fryatt

Ryan Smith

Richard Stearman

Alan Sheehan

James Wesolowski

Infact none of that list is over the age of 19!!!!

Then you've got Iain Hume, Paddy McCarthy and Stephen Hughes who all miss out by a year and Ashley Chambers who will join the list in a year or two.

I know it counts for nothing if we don't pick up points, but surely it's something to be proud of? I certainly like the policy Levein has in signing players, it might a good idea to sign one or two talented experienced players but i'm delighted with the majority of Levein's transfers. It's great to see that his last 2 signings have both been English albeit one of them is only on loan but even so it's good to see a few young fellow countrymen playing for Leicester.

Surely Chambers is on that now?? he is under 19 isn't he?? :P

This is a good post Ric and just shows what Levein is trying to do and it is definetly something to be proud of. :D

Archived