Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Nurture or Nature

Watching the FL highlights the other day and noticed that Kasper Schmeichel was playing for Darlington( In goal too) and it got me thinking, are footballers born footballers or are they they taught how to be footballers?

I personally think they are taught to be footballers and being around football day in day out contributes more then your footballing father passing on his genes.

What does everyone else think?

obviously you need to have natural sporting ability, something you are born with. after that it is all about practice from a young age. different sports require different attributes, and i suppose it depends if yours match what is required. no doubting though that if you have a famous relative your chances are greatly increased.

One of the 3 modules we do in A2 P.E is sports psychology and the whole nature nurture of personality and stuff.

Personally i find it impossible to pick one side and fully agree with it. The interactionalist theory (bit of both sides) is the only common sense explanation for me, although it varies how much of each is dominantly effective, it has to be a mix of genes and environment.

I.e. If it wasn't down to genes, why do they bother having all our coded DNA info?

If it was only down to genes, if a 'born footballer' never kicks a ball in his life, do you reckon he's good enough for the premiership at the age of 20?

One of the 3 modules we do in A2 P.E is sports psychology and the whole nature nurture of personality and stuff.

Personally i find it impossible to pick one side and fully agree with it. The interactionalist theory (bit of both sides) is the only common sense explanation for me, although it varies how much of each is dominantly effective, it has to be a mix of genes and environment.

I.e. If it wasn't down to genes, why do they bother having all our coded DNA info?

If it was only down to genes, if a 'born footballer' never kicks a ball in his life, do you reckon he's good enough for the premiership at the age of 20?

Great point here. The answer would simple be no.

You do need a bit of both.

You are born with talent, you enhance it with training.

The worlds most natuarally gifted football player is most likely up a mountain, herding goats and has never even heard of Pele or Maradona.

Different types of players become players because of different things I'd say.

Your dribblers and basically the players that can do anything with a ball are born with an amazing foot eye coordination so they're able to do all the things they can.

Speed is obviously something you're born with although you can improve it a little through training.

Then you have players who will work their arses off training all their lives to give them the ability they need. Learning how to read the game from an early age and developing a footballing brain (defenders and defensive midfielders)..Players of a lesser natural skill.

That's what I reckon anyways :cool:

Different types of players become players because of different things I'd say.

Your dribblers and basically the players that can do anything with a ball are born with an amazing foot eye coordination so they're able to do all the things they can.

Speed is obviously something you're born with although you can improve it a little through training.

Then you have players who will work their arses off training all their lives to give them the ability they need. Learning how to read the game from an early age and developing a footballing brain (defenders and defensive midfielders)..Players of a lesser natural skill.

That's what I reckon anyways :cool:

spot on. its the same academically too; you get some people who have to work their tits off to pass exams to get good grades, people who do nothing and breeze through without a problem :mad: etc

I think practicing and being around a ball all the time would be the main thing. The people who can do 500 kick ups and normally the people who practice kick ups all day.

BUT some people are born with talent and just have it. If Ronaldinho played football for the first time today you have to expect he would be far better than the average person, even if they practiced every day.

I think practicing and being around a ball all the time would be the main thing. The people who can do 500 kick ups and normally the people who practice kick ups all day.

BUT some people are born with talent and just have it. If Ronaldinho played football for the first time today you have to expect he would be far better than the average person, even if they practiced every day.

What a signature :D

Archived