Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jambo Neave

A message of support

Hi, this is my first post.

Ever since CL left Hearts (at the most inconvenient time I may add, just before a make-or-break UEFA Cup game) I have supported him simply due to the fact that he is and always will be a Hearts legend.

He was an excellent player in his day and he managed to transform a small, young Hearts squad into an extremely respectable force in Scottish football with next to no resources as manager, bringing European football back to Tynecastle for the first time in a while. The football may not have been pretty, but it was effective.

Now, I would like to add that I want Craig to suceed down south, really I do. I wanted him to succeed with Leicester, but it may look like that ship has sailed. The move possibly came too soon for him as, in case you didn't know, he was managing a poor Scottish Third Division team 5 years ago. Or maybe I have completely misjudged him as a manager. Maybe Scottish Football was at its lowest ebb when he took over and his achievements may not have been as great as some would have thought. Maybe not, no-one knows.

Since his move I've followed Leicester's results and, to put it bluntly, they've been shit. Now I haven't seen enough of your team to form a solid opinion but you seem void of ideas and any sort of flare. Under Levein, Hearts' tactics were hump the ball up to De Vries (who was a distinctly average player in the SPL by the way) and to see what happens. Not much seems to have changed and, for this, I feel sorry for you.

The fact of the matter is, he hasn't seemed to help himself with his signings. As far as I know he has brought in:

Rab Douglas (a keeper who was ridiculed on almost a weekly basis, any rightly so, by the press up here)

Alan Maybury (the only player he took from us that I would take back),

Patrick Kisnorbo (some people called him 'versatile' others called him shit)

Joe Hamill (promised so much, delivered so little)

Stephen Hughes (who?)

De Vries (as previously said, a distincly average player up here).

Obviously, as you would have found out, Levein is a proud man, some may say arrogant, and is not one to acknowledge his mistakes easily. I've read on here he has been saying 'it will turn for us' and herein is where the problem lies, in my opinion. Levein bought badly for Hearts in some places and made many dodgy tactical decisions. In the SPL you may be able to get away with it a bit more than in the Championship.

In his naivity Levein may think that he will indeed start to win games if the team play to his tactics properly.

As it would appear, that ain't gonna happen. But there is a chance.

Now, I can understand you calling for the managers head. I would be inclined to do the same. But if you were to sack Levein it would appear you would be in a weaker position as you are in now. Who's to say if you were to sack Levein there would be a large interest in the job? This is why I think you should with Levein until the end of the season and then, no matter what happens, sack him after the last game.

Eventhough you are running out of games I believe Leicester City are good enough to stay up, even with Levein. I don't think boycotting will do any good.

In conclusion, I think Leicester should just about stay up with Levein. Getting behind the team will help as will turning out in numbers. You are good enough and you will have a new manager and a new team next season. Keep that in mind. For the remainder of the season please, get behind your team as much as you can. I know I will be.

Thank you for your time.

Jambo Neave

Cheers for your assessments, howver I do not agree with one thing, we will not stay up with Levein in charge. We need another man, on a short term contract until the end of the season. Even the usual 3 or 4 match good start, which usually occurrs when a new man takes charge, will help us tremendously.

Also taking into account his away record, we have though games at Millwall, Brighton and Plymouth which are really mustwin, I can see us losing all of them.

Thanks for your in put, however the one feeling here is that we will not stay up with him still here, his tactics(what tactics) are very poor, the job i am affraid to say is just to big for him.

But once again thank you for taking the time to write the message :thumbup:

Thanks for your thoughts but we had twigged that CL seems out of his depth.

Thing is when he first come here, he basically said the Championship was a rubbish league and I think he said most scottish team would do very well in the Championship (I'm not sure about the second bit but he definetly said the first bit)

So, he thought he was better than he is...Mr Levein...Don't knock it till you've tried it. Go back to a "harder" league in scotland. :wave:

An excellent post, and for me you have hit the nail right on the head. Levein has drafted in a set of players who, at best, could be described as 'average' in the SPL and expected them to perform at the highest level in the Championship. It's just not going to work.

Levein constantly guffs on about not being able to crtisise the players' work-rate in games etc, and maybe that's true - maybe players like Kisnorbo are actually playing to the best of their ability, in which case it is difficult to find fault in their individual performances. The bottom line is though it's not good enough at this level, and the sooner Levein grasps that reality the better.

Right I am now going to make myself really really unpopular here, and so please flame me, I can take it .....

I was one of those fans on Saturday who was calling for his head, the guy is an idiot, fire him, I don't care how much it costs.

Then I was chatting to a friend of mine that works at the club, and he said, we were all told that this was the situation at the start of the season we expected that we may well go down ..... I was surprised by this comment, but I let them continue, basically the club has been forced by it closeness to bankruptcy to save 5 million a year on wages alone. We have no money for players, we have no money to pay them, and worse still I am being told we are going to have to sell the training ground at Belvior Drive. Now we are a club in total direstraights, and you may say well CL has spent 4 million on players, yet he is paying these players peanuts (hence why he has gone to the lower division clubs, and the SPL as these are the players he can afford), he has had to rebuild a whole team with this money, and get rid of players which he would of wanted to keep. Now I know the results are not good enough, but as it stands I support CL (for now at least), because, I wouldn't think any other manager would wanna take this job, I certainly wouldn't because it is a totally non win situation. :(

An excellent post, and for me you have hit the nail right on the head. Levein has drafted in a set of players who, at best, could be described as 'average' in the SPL and expected them to perform at the highest level in the Championship. It's just not going to work.

Levein constantly guffs on about not being able to crtisise the players' work-rate in games etc, and maybe that's true - maybe players like Kisnorbo are actually playing to the best of their ability, in which case it is difficult to find fault in their individual performances. The bottom line is though it's not good enough at this level, and the sooner Levein grasps that reality the better.

Levein did what many managers do and tried to take some faces he knew with him. Why? because he didn't know what he was getting, so it's playing the percentages to at least have 3 or 4 in your team that you know what you'll get. Problem is, the players in his Hearts team who really did it for him were not within Leicester's budget. OK Maybury was a regular... but Kisnorbo and Hamill hardly played up there. If he'd been able to take the likes of Pressley, Webster and Hartley down with him then I think you'd all be seeing a different story.

That's not intended to excuse the guy for the present situation.. but you have to see things as they are and not get caught up in the bloodlust.

Right I am now going to make myself really really unpopular here, and so please flame me, I can take it .....

I was one of those fans on Saturday who was calling for his head, the guy is an idiot, fire him, I don't care how much it costs.

Then I was chatting to a friend of mine that works at the club, and he said, we were all told that this was the situation at the start of the season we expected that we may well go down ..... I was surprised by this comment, but I let them continue, basically the club has been forced by it closeness to bankruptcy to save 5 million a year on wages alone. We have no money for players, we have no money to pay them, and worse still I am being told we are going to have to sell the training ground at Belvior Drive. Now we are a club in total direstraights, and you may say well CL has spent 4 million on players, yet he is paying these players peanuts (hence why he has gone to the lower division clubs, and the SPL as these are the players he can afford), he has had to rebuild a whole team with this money, and get rid of players which he would of wanted to keep. Now I know the results are not good enough, but as it stands I support CL (for now at least), because, I wouldn't think any other manager would wanna take this job, I certainly wouldn't because it is a totally non win situation. :(

if what you say is true then I wonder about the board's skills in making money available, leed's and cardiff both were recently up shit creek financially but they are not in the same boat as us.

if what you say is true then I wonder about the board's skills in making money available, leed's and cardiff both were recently up shit creek financially but they are not in the same boat as us.

Well I was chatting to another guy I know who is a youth coach at Leeds, they have sold the stadium, and their multimillion pound training ground, (of course on the grounds they buy it back), but that is how they are funding themselves. We never owned our stadium so that was never an option for us .....

That's all very well but it's assuming that the whole team is crap, which it isn't. There's some real potential within the team but it's being constantly hampered by a minority of pisspoor Levein favourites who are constantly underperforming. Stearman, for instance, had a great game against Cardiff and there have been some other real positives to be had in other games.

I fully appreciate that the financial situation has dictated the level and type of players we can bring in, but that's no excuse for dross. And let's face it, where will we be financially if we end up going down next year?

We still have one of the largest wage bills in the league, i'd say in the top 8 wage bills. Teams like Luton and Burnley have very small wage and transfer budgets and have bought players from the lower leagues but look at them. Both in and around the top 6, both have piss poor grounds. We can make excuses up all we want, I appreciate it's no picnic managing Leicester with the finacial constraints but we are in alot better position than most clubs in this league and aren't making the most of it. We have 7 or 8 very talented players at this club for this level, another 4 or 5 that are decent championship players and the rest are poor but it should be the manager who plays to the teams strengths and gets the best out of them.

I've not seen any evidence that shows Levein is capable of picking players purely on merit. I've not seen any evidence of Levein sticking to a game plan, i've not seen any evidence of Levein knowing what his best 11 is even though fans can. Last and not least i've not seen any evidence of him being able to motivate players and get them punching above their weight, something needed to be a success in this league.

in all honesty when levein was at hearts he picked up some great players, including maybury (who is a **** right back), de vries, valois

players he picked up from nowhere, I think the problem lies in that scottish football is so different from english football and very few managers groomed in scotland sucessfully make the move.

I think levein will be back at an spl club by may and will be a sucess, if he does get sacked this week he could even get the caley thistle job

What I found he was a very negative manager but he won games, he would get you 1-0 up and we would sit back but we were defensivly strong enough to survive the onslaughts

What I found he was a very negative manager but he won games, he would get you 1-0 up and we would sit back but we were defensivly strong enough to survive the onslaughts

He's not brought those talents with him, defence definitely can't hold out for 1-0 wins - we haven't won any league games 1-0 this season.

He's not brought those talents with him, defence definitely can't hold out for 1-0 wins - we haven't won any league games 1-0 this season.

to be fair at hearts we had a solid defence

webster and pressley as centre halfs were stand outs and are the first choice scottish partnership

neilson at right back and maybs at left back

it may have not been pretty but that was a hell of a defence to beat especially with someone breaking legs in the holding role

I reckon if you could get 2 top centre halfs, it would turn for you however I dont think levein will get that chance

to be fair at hearts we had a solid defence

webster and pressley as centre halfs were stand outs and are the first choice scottish partnership

neilson at right back and maybs at left back

it may have not been pretty but that was a hell of a defence to beat especially with someone breaking legs in the holding role

I reckon if you could get 2 top centre halfs, it would turn for you however I dont think levein will get that chance

If im being honest, the centre halfs are the last thing I would change about our team at the minute.

Archived