Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lichfieldfox.

Gudjon Thordarson

Just out of interest how do Icelanders use surnames? This guy is Joey and Barni's dad yet has a different surname.....will Joey's and Barni's kids have Barnison and Joeyson as their surname?

they take their fathers first name as their surname ie, joey gudjonnson's son will be called 'whatever joeyson'.

seriously

they take their fathers first name as their surname ie, joey gudjonnson's son will be called 'whatever joeyson'.

seriously

His real name is Johannes so his son will have the surname Johannesson and his daughter the name Johannesdottir.

So what happens if he has 2 boys?? Will it be Johannesson II??

What difference does that make?

Billy Johannesson

Stevie Johannesson

Don Johannesson

Same as everyone else :huh:

Don Johannesson

:D:D:D

Love it

Then his son could be Arnar Donson??

God. Must be so much more fun choosing names in Iceland. Mind you if it keeps them entertained on the long cold dark nights then you cant complain.

:D:D:D

Love it

Then his son could be Arnar Donson??

God. Must be so much more fun choosing names in Iceland. Mind you if it keeps them entertained on the long cold dark nights then you cant complain.

so if i name my son/daughter

alex? he would be alex markson?

sophie she would be sophie marksdittr?

flippin weird but i love it

:thumbup::thumbup::D

so if i name my son/daughter

alex? he would be alex markson?

sophie she would be sophie marksdittr?

flippin weird but i love it

:thumbup::thumbup::D

I might be worng but I believe Eidur Gudjohnsen's father is called Arnor Gudjohnsen. How does that work? :blink:

Icelandic names differ from most Western family name systems by being patronymic (and sometimes matronymic) in that they reflect the immediate father (or mother) of the child and not the historic family lineage.

Iceland shares a common cultural heritage with the Scandinavian states of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Icelanders, unlike other Scandinavians, have continued to use their traditional name system, which was formerly used in all of Scandinavia. The Icelandic system does not use family names or surnames. A person's last name indicates the first name of the subject's father (or mother in some cases), that is, it is a patronymic (or matronymic). Some family names do exist in Iceland. Most of them are inherited from parents of foreign origin, but some are adopted. One notable Icelander who has an inherited family name is football star Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen.

Thats why :thumbsup:

I might be worng but I believe Eidur Gudjohnsen's father is called Arnor Gudjohnsen. How does that work? :blink:

You might have spotted the difference in the ending as well (sen and not son) which means the likely origin of the name is either Norwegian or Danish.

Another thing a Faroer told me is that the letter "Đ" or "ð" in the Icelandic and Faroe language shouldn't be pronounced. It's a kind of 'invisible' letter :blink: so Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen should in fact be pronounced Eiur Smari Gujohnsen..

Archived