Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Last Night's Commentary...

After getting home last night, I like a saddo re-watched the match. My two (or one) bone of contension was what Garry 'Notts Forrest' Birtles and 'Super' Stevie Claridge had to say about Hendo decapitation of Morrison and Andy Johnson Cantona-esque kung-fu kick at Hendo.

Now to me in my Blue tinted shades thought that although Hendo did knee Morrison in the head his eyes were firmly on the ball and it was a pure accident that happens in football (certainly not a free kick to us either). Whereas Johnsson had lost the ball so went in studs up at Hendo's midriff iin frustration, definate foul and should have been at least a yellow!!!

But the commentators reckon that it was a stick-on penalty for Palace and a perfectly acceptable assault on Hendo which should be expected and therefore no foul!!

Am I just too biased or do I make sense?? What does everyone else think??

If a pen was given for Hendos challenge I wouldnt be moaning too much, though AJ going in with that high boot when the ball was long gone should have been a stern yellow. Some may even have sent him. Some would have given Hume offside though... and welsh come to think of it. That was a very nasty knee to face though! Ouch!

Never a penalty, every goalkeeper in the world goes in with their knee up, it's called self-preservation and as you say his eye was completely on the ball.

Whose bothered now anyway?

If it was a penalty the ref would've given it, just because commentators say what they believe doesn't mean it's true, the only person's opinion that matters in this instant is the referee's.

The penalty wasn't given - fact.

Leicester won the game 2-0 - fact.

Leicester cannot get relegated - fact.

Claridge never shows any favouritism towards us :(

I remember when we drew 1-1 with Pompey a couple of years back he was slating us, WE MADE YOU STEVE!

:D

To be fair he kinda made us a bit as well.

Ya gotta love Steve Claridge--the guy's a hero...

...but he's an awful color commentator.

He'll be the first to admit that he's not a very eloquent speaker, which is unfortunate because good speaking skills are usually a prerequisite for getting a job on TV.

Not only that, he's a bit lost out there and I don't think he does a particularly good job of following the game.

On the first goal, Claridge was going crazy about how Andy Welsh was off-side, but anybody with eyes could clearly see that there was a Crystal Palace defender (can't remember whom) sprawled on the ground along the left side of the penalty area that kept him in an on-side position to play the ball.

And yes, Paul Henderson made a perfectly legal play even if he knocked Clinton Morrison into next week in doing so. The funny thing about that play was that Birtles and Claridge were clamoring for a penalty to be called against Henderson during the replays but they seemed to have missed Patrick Kisnorbo giving Morrison a bear-hug while the ball was on its way into the box.

I'm glad the jukebox was on at the bar for most of yesterday's game so I was spared to agony of listening to such awful commentary for 90 minutes.

Sorry, Super Steve, sports punditry is not your calling.

Ya gotta love Steve Claridge--the guy's a hero...

...but he's an awful color commentator.

He'll be the first to admit that he's not a very eloquent speaker, which is unfortunate because good speaking skills are usually a prerequisite for getting a job on TV.

Not only that, he's a bit lost out there and I don't think he does a particularly good job of following the game.

On the first goal, Claridge was going crazy about how Andy Welsh was off-side, but anybody with eyes could clearly see that there was a Crystal Palace defender (can't remember whom) sprawled on the ground along the left side of the penalty area that kept him in an on-side position to play the ball.

And yes, Paul Henderson made a perfectly legal play even if he knocked Clinton Morrison into next week in doing so. The funny thing about that play was that Birtles and Claridge were clamoring for a penalty to be called against Henderson during the replays but they seemed to have missed Patrick Kisnorbo giving Morrison a bear-hug while the ball was on its way into the box.

I'm glad the jukebox was on at the bar for most of yesterday's game so I was spared to agony of listening to such awful commentary for 90 minutes.

Sorry, Super Steve, sports punditry is not your calling.

Could you pass the same message on to a Mr. D. Pleat who really doesn't have a clue?

He talks complete and utter b*llocks all game - and when I watch the games on the box over here, he's commentating on one of the 3 games. (If it's the second game, kickoff at 10am/3pm it's alright as I'm listening to Barber instead ... not that he's much better. lol)

The comentary on the city gam the other night was really bad, i couldn't believe what i was hearing when Birtles was saying our first go was touch and go weather it was offside or not! and also when he said that the challenge by henderson was a penalty, hedersons eyes never left ball, i wasn't a definate penalty, also for our second goal when he said that hume was offside, yes he may have been but under the new laws he wasn't interfering with play and even if the new laws were not in place hume was way out of the eyeline of the goalkeeper! you could tell Birtles was a forest fan that night!

...and oh, yeah, almost forgot, Birtles called the play where Henderson nearly decapitated Morrison a "late challenge." Late challenge?! He was there in plenty of time--if anything, he made contact with Morrison before he caught the ball!

Archived