Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Alan Sheehan

By all accounts Alan Sheehan played badly against Ipswich Reserves and didn't look bothered or involved.

If that was true why you have to ask why and do the other senior Academy lads feel the same?.

Sheehan, of course, has been injured lately having been exiled after his sending off for the first team against Crewe.

Rufus Brevett was signed as left-back cover and, even when Sheehan had apparently played more football than Tiatto after recovering from injury, who gets a place on the first team bench....Brevett.

By what criteria?

Brevett is only a loan player, not a regular and Brevett had played no more impressively for the reserves lately than Sheehan but Sheehan had played quite well in the first half of the season for the Reserves - and later for the first team against Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton.

So is he sulking or despondent? And are his apparently close friends Porter, Dodds, Wesolowski (who's not signed a new contract) feeling the same? If not what on earth has happened to make him apparently go so far backwards so quickly?. This, after all, is the lad the City staff chose as captain and who WAS selected for the first team and who has played well at times.

I hope not but am beginning to wonder if the senior reserves think the first team is such a clique they have no chance of ever being able to make an impression.

After all it is not just Brevett that walked onto the bench for no metitorious reason. Tiatto and Hammond did the same.

* Expect Sheehan to go out on loan and quite possibly Dodds and Porter as well. In Sheehan's case, dreadful waste. He should perhaps speak to Chris O'Grady about refocusing but I fear it's just going to end as a dreadful waste of talent.

So is he sulking or despondent? And are his apparently close friends Porter, Dodds, Wesolowski (who's not signed a new contract) feeling the same?

wesolowski still has another year on his current contract

I don't think there's any reason for concern just yet. Sheehan had a bad game that's all, everyone does now and again. Especially with it being a poxy reserve match played on the training ground, obviously it would have been nice for him to make an impression and show Kelly and Stowell that he is desperate to play first team football and is performing well but if they aren't aware of his talents then they must be as deluded as Adams was with Wesolowski.

Sheehan does have a suspect attitude apparently, but he would never have got anywhere near the first team if it was that bad because Levein wouldn't have put up with someone who with a bad attitude. He's just like alot of teenage footballers who know they are talented and stardom is within their reach and it goes to their head, but if a player has the talent then it's down to both the management team and the player to iron it out.

If the other academy players are dis-interested then they wouldn't of all signed new contracts recently (O'Grady, Sheehan, Dodds, Porter and Logan). Wesolowski's contract is a concern but i'd expect that to be sorted in the summer because it's a little different for him as he's in a position to negotiate far more than the others as he's a wonderkid who's hot property.

Perhaps the manager doesn't feel that certain young players aren't quite ready yet?

And Brevett is? My point being that it's disheartening for young players when loanees get on the bench without making a single contribution to the cause over and above others who are almost certainly better players. How would you feel?.

And Brevett is? My point being that it's disheartening for young players when loanees get on the bench without making a single contribution to the cause over and above others who are almost certainly better players. How would you feel?.

Agreed. Brevett is an absolute waste of space, he might be good for morale but so is a family bucket from KFC especially if you didn't pay for it.

So that's Adams, Levein and Kelly who don't think he is quite ready yet. Well the first two got sacked we may as well sack Kelly now as he is obviously a fool not to see Sheehan is so good.

Maybe the "sulking" players should take a leaf out of Stearmans, Wesolowski and O'Gradys book. Maybe his problem is that he listens to your hype about him and has become billy big bollocks.

I've seen all this he's such a great young player shit so many times. Who was it last year.... that irish centre mid who everyone said would leave to go man city as he was so great....... errrr where is he again.

So that's Adams, Levein and Kelly who don't think he is quite ready yet. Well the first two got sacked we may as well sack Kelly now as he is obviously a fool not to see Sheehan is so good.

Maybe the "sulking" players should take a leaf out of Stearmans, Wesolowski and O'Gradys book. Maybe his problem is that he listens to your hype about him and has become billy big bollocks.

I've seen all this he's such a great young player shit so many times. Who was it last year.... that irish centre mid who everyone said would leave to go man city as he was so great....... errrr where is he again.

I don't think Levein thought he wasn't ready yet, he atleast gave the lad a chance when others weren't performing at left back due to some impressive reserve games. That I thought was commendable even if I did think Levein then chose the easy option of dropping Sheehan to allow his favourite child Maybury back in to the team. I don't expect Sheehan to walk in to the left back position as Nissa is getting better and better even if he is limited going forward but he should be above Brevett in the pecking order on the bench. Anyone with a good enough reason that disagrees with that i'd be interested to hear as Brevett is 36, couldn't even get a game at Plymouth and won't be here next season unless Kelly suffers a minor stroke.

If you ask the Mansfield fans how Dawson is doing you'll find out he's far too good to play at League Two level. I have no doubts that he could have done a job for us, it's lucky that Levein suddenly realised how good Wesolowski was because alot of fans couldn't fathom out why we'd shafted Dawson by offering him less than he was already on which if I remember rightly he was only on a scholarship contract in the first place.

I'd put it more down to the fact that he's had a long season and just back from a lay off.

Maybe he's feeling a bit jaded but I think someone should sit down with him and let them know where he stands at the club, you have to remember he's only 18 and still needs all the encouragement he can get.

I don't think Levein thought he wasn't ready yet, he atleast gave the lad a chance when others weren't performing at left back due to some impressive reserve games. That I thought was commendable even if I did think Levein then chose the easy option of dropping Sheehan to allow his favourite child Maybury back in to the team. I don't expect Sheehan to walk in to the left back position as Nissa is getting better and better even if he is limited going forward but he should be above Brevett in the pecking order on the bench. Anyone with a good enough reason that disagrees with that i'd be interested to hear as Brevett is 36, couldn't even get a game at Plymouth and won't be here next season unless Kelly suffers a minor stroke.

If you ask the Mansfield fans how Dawson is doing you'll find out he's far too good to play at League Two level. I have no doubts that he could have done a job for us, it's lucky that Levein suddenly realised how good Wesolowski was because alot of fans couldn't fathom out why we'd shafted Dawson by offering him less than he was already on which if I remember rightly he was only on a scholarship contract in the first place.

I agree he should be ahead of Brevett I'm not questioning that, i'm just sick of bloody hearing about him to be perfectly honest.

I don't think this sort of scaremongering about unhappy players does anyone any good do you? Especially when as was pointed out they all signed new contracts recently. Obviously they are really unhappy!!!

Dawson may be too good for the fourth division, but we aren't in the fourth or third division.

I'd put it more down to the fact that he's had a long season and just back from a lay off.

Maybe he's feeling a bit jaded but I think someone should sit down with him and let them know where he stands at the club, you have to remember he's only 18 and still needs all the encouragement he can get.

He's only just signed a new 2 year deal. Only he and O'Grady were given 2 year deals, the rest of the youngsters were offered 1 year deals. That spells to me that the club are fully aware of his capabilities and he's definately part of the first team set-up. Considering there were rumours of him wanting to leave well before Levein got the sack then why did he sign a new deal? I'm sure both himself and the club haven't any problems and with a good pre-season he'll be pushin Nissa for the left back position.

lol

Spot on, 100%.

He is another Jordan Stewart by all accounts, loves himself and thinks the football world owes him a living and a starting spot. Until he gets rid of that he'll be lucky to get a game for Shamrock Rovers.

I happen to think he has some talent but you have to question the player when he didn't kick on after getting those starts at full back. When we had no recognised left full back he was still unable to make enough of an impression in his natural position to warrant a regular run out.

lol

Spot on, 100%.

He is another Jordan Stewart by all accounts, loves himself and thinks the football world owes him a living and a starting spot. Until he gets rid of that he'll be lucky to get a game for Shamrock Rovers.

I happen to think he has some talent but you have to question the player when he didn't kick on after getting those starts at full back. When we had no recognised left full back he was still unable to make enough of an impression in his natural position to warrant a regular run out.

I have to agree, i don't watch reserve team football so i'm no expert but if he is a good as some people seem to think, I think he would atleast be on the bench and brevett would be a unnecccesary loan signing, especailly as we have no natural left back and the kid is useful at set peices and corner kicks (which we are shite at). Obviously Kelly and co. don't think he is ready yet, lets hope Sheehan doesn't get too disheartened and try's to prove Kelly wrong!!!

I agree he should be ahead of Brevett I'm not questioning that, i'm just sick of bloody hearing about him to be perfectly honest.

I don't think this sort of scaremongering about unhappy players does anyone any good do you? Especially when as was pointed out they all signed new contracts recently. Obviously they are really unhappy!!!

Dawson may be too good for the fourth division, but we aren't in the fourth or third division.

That's why I said it, they might be desperate to play first team football but if they were unhappy and didn't think they ever would here then they wouldn't have signed for us. Wasn't it only last week that there were rumours on another board that Kevin Thornton's agent had been in contact with Leicester because he feels Coventry are over-looking the youngsters and that they were impressed with how youngsters are given a chance at Leicester.

I've always been critical of this club over the use of academy players but that's because I think with a club our size it seems logical to try their utmost to develop and bring through young players because a) it saves us in transfer fee's to buy players, b) it's great for the fans to have some home-grown players at the club and c) All players starts off as academy players so it makes sense to utilise the ones we've got. But I don't see what goes on behind the scenes and ultimately when I think a player looks good they might infact never make which has happened several times but it was music to my ears when Levein outlined his plans to give youth players the chance and i'm sure Kelly will do the same I hope.

Dawson wouldn't look out of place at this level trust me, there is nothing in his game that couldn't have coped at this level alongside some talented players which we've got.

lol

Spot on, 100%.

Well none of us know what goes on behind the scenes but purely from what fans have seen on the pitch it's beyond me how anyone can honestly say he isn't anywhere near good enough for the first team. Levein picked him against Sheff Wed and said if Sheehan played well then it was his opportunity to make the left back spot his own. He played very well if I remember rightly and alot of people thought so too. The week later he was completely dropped and replaced by the ever elusive Peter Gilbert who was then also dropped the following week.

I don't really know what went on there or what had gone on off the field between Sheehan and Levein but I thought he was more than good enough to be our left back. There was a rumour he was all set for a start against Plymouth but was sent home fro throwing some water that turned out wasn't just him or even him that did it!

Whatever the case, he's better than Brevett and has something nobody else at this club has - the ability to take a corner and free-kick. I don't think he deserves a start since what's gone on in the past few months but the lad should be on the bench as I have no doubt he could help change a game because going forward he's better than Nissa ten fold.

If the young players don't think they have achance at this club they would be as deluded as you. We have an extremly young side and Wesolowsi and Stearman, two teenagers form the youth set up, came through the acadmey system this season. 2 players in a season is an extremely good turnover!

Chris O'Grady is currently getting a run out, even though he is quite frankly shite.

Alan Sheehan has been given his chance this season and he wasn't up to it. Sent off in oen game responsible for a goal in the other. His brillianiance on the ball also seemed to be non existant. At The moment we have an inexperienced defence hardly conceeding and looking full of ptential. The two centre backs are 23 and the other full back is still a teenager, What they lack is experience and extra height in the air. That is why Nils suits perfectly at the moment. Any manager taking that into account won't have Sheehan on his mind.

If certain fans had their way we would havea team full of academy players who have doen okay at reserve team level. Tommy Wright, Petrescu, O'Grady, Sheehan, Dawson, Logan and whoever elese would be in the team and we'd be Crew Alexandra.

Get over it.

If the young players don't think they have achance at this club they would be as deluded as you. We have an extremly young side and Wesolowsi and Stearman, two teenagers form the youth set up, came through the acadmey system this season. 2 players in a season is an extremely good turnover!

Chris O'Grady is currently getting a run out, even though he is quite frankly shite.

Alan Sheehan has been given his chance this season and he wasn't up to it. Sent off in oen game responsible for a goal in the other. His brillianiance on the ball also seemed to be non existant. At The moment we have an inexperienced defence hardly conceeding and looking full of ptential. The two centre backs are 23 and the other full back is still a teenager, What they lack is experience and extra height in the air. That is why Nils suits perfectly at the moment. Any manager taking that into account won't have Sheehan on his mind.

If certain fans had their way we would havea team full of academy players who have doen okay at reserve team level. Tommy Wright, Petrescu, O'Grady, Sheehan, Dawson, Logan and whoever elese would be in the team and we'd be Crew Alexandra.

Get over it.

I agree with most of what you say, not too sure bout o'grady though, will reserve judgement :thumbup:

Get over it.

Utter bollocks my friend. Please explain to me the goal Alan Sheehan was at fault for. Also our defence is hardly conceding??? Well i'd hate to see a defence that concedes goals then, although I agree our defence does individually have potential I still think we've got serious problems especially at defending set pieces and giving them away needlessly.

I also think your comments on O'Grady are a little unfair, he's far from shite and the improvement in his game this season has been impressive. I agree he doesn't warrant a first team place regularly but I can't see how you can claim he is shite. In the games i've seen him he's had an impact in the majority of them.

lol

Spot on, 100%.

he got 1 and was then dropped for months, stearman and weso got a solid run of games, settled and impressed, give sheehan the final 2 games of the season i thuink you'd see a different player

Think the goal he mentioned was when the winger turned him and got the cross over from the byline and was headed in at the far post.

That was there 1st atack after bout 30 mins, didn't look like conceding at all. bad error by him, should have clocked the cross. remember blaming him at the time.

But sure it was the same game that he got sent off in.

Get over it.

Agreed, I've said before the amount of youngsters who have broken through as of late is more then enough to show that younger players will get their chance if they're good enough. To suggest they're playing crap for the reserves because they think its impossible to get in the first team is put simple utter shite. Also reserve level is quite a bit below full senior level, I think Rob's more the capable of judging when these players should get a chance. Im all for academy players but I dont think they should be earning £5,000

and playing first team unless it is glareingly obvious they could vastly improve our team, and not be absloutley awful.

What I really can't stand, and I mean CAN'T STAND is this Attitude towards sir Alan Sheehan regarding his form. " Oh, I see Alan Sheehan and team are playing poorly, this of couse can be no fault of Alan Sheehan, or indeed any other member of our godlike reserve team ( which strangely never seems to win many games ) I know we will blame the club for not allowing them first team football and not giving the fat bumper contracts, as we all know Alan Sheehan is far to talented to play badly without a reason <_< "

Im sorry but he's capable of having a bad game without a reason.

Think the goal he mentioned was when the winger turned him and got the cross over from the byline and was headed in at the far post.

That was there 1st atack after bout 30 mins, didn't look like conceding at all. bad error by him, should have clocked the cross. remember blaming him at the time.

But sure it was the same game that he got sent off in.

Correct Don, i was at the game and I remember telling my mates how much of a potential Sheehen is and he has a mare.

Archived