Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

What would be an acceptable finish next season?

What would be an acceptable finish next season?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would be an acceptable finish next season?

• Automatic Promotion
    • Playoffs
    • Just outside (7th - 9th)
    • Top half (10th - 12th)
    • Top of bottom half (13th - 15th)
    • Another struggle (16th - 18th)
    • Just avoiding relegation (19th - 21st)

With a great front pairing and a solid central defensive pairing that hopefully will stay Injury and suspension free we should be looking at the top half of the league. But having said that things could all change over the summer if we were to lose a couple of our most valuable assets.

With current squad I'd take 14th. Too many holes in the midfiled at the moment. Something that will hopefully be rectified.

Hoping for a 6th place finish, ousting No.3 in the playoffs, reaching the playoff final and winning it! But that's wishful thinking.

We lack the substance for a Top 5 finish (but then again, it's a new season and the lads might prove me wrong).

Overall, I wish not to go through the same bad experience in the first half of the season like in 2005/06 under Craig Levein.

I'd say 9th.

I don't see the point in being a fan unless you can indulge yourself in blind optimism at the outset of the season. I mean, aside from supporting Barnstoneworth United surely EVERY fan in the country hopes for sucess and glory...is there any point in being anything else?

"The shorts aren't important, it's what's in 'em that counts"

I agree to some extent, but that wasn't quite the question.

Not just that, there is great danger in optimistic predictions and for that reason I have always believed in playing my own team's chances down. I remember two seasons ago all the ridiculously rash boasts about our squad of old time journeymen being potential title challengers - and even the bookies were taken in. We were set up for such a big fall every opponent couldn't wait to get at us.

I like the no-pressure approach. Inexpensive team, very young and experienced, a bit nieve, that sort of thing.

Internal optimism is another thing altogether - hope really does spring eternal - but until the season starts I think the fans will help more not by talking us up but by analysing our weaknesses and continuing to call for improvements.

I suppose that is what disappointed me most about Kelly's run of success. He just stuck with it rather than exploring the next horizon and demanding still better performances to go with the results. Outwardly I'd enjoy a 5-2 as much as anyone else but in the dressing room I'd be pissed off conceding two.

That way the folly of self-congratulation quickly disappears and players start thinking instinctively about constant improvement and so developing the ruthlessness needed to be successful.

Problem with being over-optimistic is that it's too easy to become fickle and moan (ie get the manager sacked) when things don't go right.

It's a long term plan that will get us back in the Premiership with a chance of staying up which is why I think an improvement to top half would be an acceptable finish.

As long as we finish at the end of the season like normal teams and not before that, I'll be happy.

Now you have said that, i bet our last game will be called off and we have to play a day later than all the other teams!

Play offs-12th are acceptable as our squad are too weak at the moment but if we are shrewd in market it could boost our chances in playoffs but if we flop in market,then top half finish with a struggle with injuries somewhere in season however I think we will have at least ratio of one win every three games or more

I'm really not expecting too much, anywhere from 8th/14th.

I'm saying this because I always get it wrong

Me too, that's why im predicting that we will come somewhere between 1st and 24th

There's no reason why we shouldn't finish in the top 6. After all, Preston, a team with far smaller resources, have managed it for each of the past two seasons.

To be honest, though, many of our players are still a couple of years away from the standard needed to survive in the Premiership. For the current side to be promoted too early in its development would run the risk of doing a Sunderland and setting us back years.

As long as we show definite signs of progress, and win more games than we lose, most fans will stick with the team in the hope of launching a real title/promotion bid te following season.

We need to show steady progresss, therefore this coming season, I would be happy with 10th-12th, next season play offs

That will probably be the case, although i woudlnt mind a trip to Wembley!

We need to show steady progresss, therefore this coming season, I would be happy with 10th-12th, next season play offs

id rather see fast progress than steady progress. why is does everyone want steady progress? surely the aim should be to progress as fast as we can?

What's acceptable and what's realistic are two different things. Nothing short of the play-offs is accetable, in my view, but realistically, if we get anywhere near there will be a major achievement.

What's acceptable and what's realistic are two different things. Nothing short of the play-offs is accetable, in my view, but realistically, if we get anywhere near there will be a major achievement.

In a nutshell. :thumbup:

I would like............8th.............but realistic...............13th/14th.

This is unless we buy some firepower and people that can play on the wing.

If we keep this squad we will not finish higher than 12th, we are not a good side, we are average.

Guest Gist

I think we really are capable of making the play offs wether we do I don't know, I think around 7th place would be acceptable in my eyes or anywhere in the top 10.

Good question.

My heart says play offs.

My head says top half would be an achievement and hopefully provide some growth and stability for the following season.

Good post Knighton Matt and I agree with you thoughts.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

MadMick

10-12th would be a good finish, but 6-7th place would leave me with a grin on my face :)

Cant disagree. By the way the Bombers wont make it this year :( yet the dockers might :thumbup:

Sorry back to it!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

MadMick

id rather see fast progress than steady progress. why is does everyone want steady progress? surely the aim should be to progress as fast as we can?

It depends if it's sustainable or not.

Too many boom and bust seasons in recent times have helped to leave the club in its current state.

Archived