Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
billabob

Theo Walcott

Doesn't look that much out of place, but there's nothing spectacular to expect from him from what I've seen..

Really, I thought he looked totally out of his depth. Hardly suprising really seeing as his makeing such a huge step up so quickly. :rolleyes:

Mind you Lampard did nothing all night except scuff his penalty, Ashley Cole showed his rust by giving the ball away on a couple of occasions and ( as Said by Lawro about 50 times ) Micheal Owen still doesn't look sharp. At least Beckham showed why he is a better option then Aaron Lennon ( he can actually deliver a ball ). Over all I wasn't espically pleased with the performance but at least we won. I'll be intrested to see how Paraguay and T&T get on tonight.

Really, I thought he looked totally out of his depth. Hardly suprising really seeing as his makeing such a huge step up so quickly. :rolleyes:

Mind you Lampard did nothing all night except scuff his penalty, Ashley Cole showed his rust by giving the ball away on a couple of occasions and ( as Said by Lawro about 50 times ) Micheal Owen still doesn't look sharp. At least Beckham showed why he is a better option then Aaron Lennon ( he can actually deliver a ball ). Over all I wasn't espically pleased with the performance but at least we won. I'll be intrested to see how Paraguay and T&T get on tonight.

I can't see what Walcott has over the likes of Johnson, Defoe.

Agreed, England looked rusty, the new formation didn't really excite!!!

Pele was only 17 so I doubt you'd have picked him for the World Cup either. :whistle:

But for all that you're right, TW barely made an impression, no more than he did against Leicester last season (though that is hardly surprising at this stage of his England career).

Indeed, of the two, simply from what I have seen of both, I'd sooner have Ashley Chambers any day (though doubtless some wilkl say I've simply seen them in the wrong matches) :D

As for Owen I believe, Ericsson should send him home with Rooney and forget all about them. He should get the replacements in and stop clutching at straws in a fire.

I suppose it's all down to marketing people and advertisers that they are still on the scene. The fact is that neither will be properly fit and involving either only restricts the opportunities for people who should play.

Both the two players themselves and the team could suffer in the end.

Pele was only 17 so I doubt you'd have picked him for the World Cup either. :whistle:

But for all that you're right, TW barely made an impression, no more than he did against Leicester last season (though that is hardly surprising at this stage of his England career).

Indeed, of the two, simply from what I have seen of both, I'd sooner have Ashley Chambers any day. :D

As for Owen I believe, Ericsson should send him home with Rooney and forget all about them. He should get the replacements in and stop clutching at straws in a fire.

I suppose it's all down to marketing people and advertisers that they are still on the scene. The fact is that neither will be properly fit and involving either only restricts the opportunities for people who should play.

Both the two players themselves and the team could suffer in the end.

Pele is a totally differnt kettle of fish and you know it :smile:

This one really isn't about his age :D I was happy when Rooney was picked for the Euro squad as he was a exciting young premier league striker... Theo just isn't ready for this, its far to soon for him to make any sort of impact off the bench or otherwise. He's not used to any level resembling this one, I moan about the set up from Reseve to championship level ffs never mind International level :blink:

As far as Owen is concerned im thinking Sven's hopeing to see him score a hat trick on Saturday, so everyone will forget all about the fact he hasn't played for 5 months. The alternative doesn't bare thinking about ( AJ Defoe Crouch and Walcott ) so I for one would stick with Micheal... for now.

Last night was a major dissapointment, unfortunatley the result hides this.

do you really think that the players were going to go all out and bust a gut or something?

the game was played like a training match, no one wants to get injured. it'll be different when it's for real.

do you really think that the players were going to go all out and bust a gut or something?

the game was played like a training match, no one wants to get injured. it'll be different when it's for real.

No but it was usless as a training exercise as well. Owen does still not look fit, Hargreaves touch is still 5 yards in front of him, Carragher wasn't exactly fantastic in his role against poor oppostion, and Ashley Cole was giving the ball away. The one player who should of busted a gut was Theo Walcott and he didnt get a look in.

Not really as encouraging as the 6-0 thumping of Iceland before Euro 2004 was it.

Pele is a totally differnt kettle of fish and you know it :smile:

This one really isn't about his age :D I was happy when Rooney was picked for the Euro squad as he was a exciting young premier league striker... Theo just isn't ready for this, its far to soon for him to make any sort of impact off the bench or otherwise. He's not used to any level resembling this one, I moan about the set up from Reseve to championship level ffs never mind International level :blink:

As far as Owen is concerned im thinking Sven's hopeing to see him score a hat trick on Saturday, so everyone will forget all about the fact he hasn't played for 5 months. The alternative doesn't bare thinking about ( AJ Defoe Crouch and Walcott ) so I for one would stick with Micheal... for now.

Owen may do well Saturday but in the end he'll break down.

No but it was usless as a training exercise as well. Owen does still not look fit, Hargreaves touch is still 5 yards in front of him, Carragher wasn't exactly fantastic in his role against poor oppostion, and Ashley Cole was giving the ball away. The one player who should of busted a gut was Theo Walcott and he didnt get a look in.

Not really as encouraging as the 6-0 thumping of Iceland before Euro 2004 was it.

I hoped you wouldn't mention Hargreaves. You talk about Walcot looking out of place but at least the kid has some excuse. Even the pundits were scathing of Hargreaves and they are paid to gloss things over (otherwise they'd have some fans on giving opinions)! I'd love someone to explain to me any strengths he's got. From the evidence of this game and others, he cannot control the ball, cannot mark, cannot tackle, cannot pass, looks lost, has little awareness and often his inadequacies leave other players out of position. Really reasssuring that one. I loved Wrighty's comment that "He must have something on Sven," to get selected.

Must have been on a different channel to the game I watched - I thought Carragher had a solid game, and Ashley Cole proved to be very effective up and down the flank.

Owen on the other hand should be allowed to stay with the ladies in the Bigg Market and Hargreaves must be in the squad because of his knowledge of bier kellers or somesuch. One day the answer to life, the universe and everything will be given (and make more sense than '42')... but on that day I will still not understand why Hargreaves is in the squad. Like a laterday Phil Neville, his inclusion never adds anything to the team performance. Maybe he is sucessful in Germany but isn't it odd that he hasn't been prised away by the richer Premier League?

Maybe he is just in the squad in order to make some of the others look good? He should partner Walcott up front. :rolleyes:

I hoped you wouldn't mention Hargreaves. You talk about Walcot looking out of place but at least the kid has some excuse. Even the pundits were scathing and they are paid to gloss things over (otherwise they'd have some fans on giving opinions)!

Well I'd like to think his recent performances linked with the fact that he's never even stood out for England and very rarely looked even useful, would reasult in him not wearing a England shirt again. No doubt however Sven will put him on after 75 mins when we are 2-1 up against the Germans and the rest will be history. Why can't Hargreaves break his foot? :whistle:

Well I'd like to think his recent performances linked with the fact that he's never even stood out for England and very rarely looked even useful, would reasult in him not wearing a England shirt again. No doubt however Sven will put him on after 75 mins when we are 2-1 up against the Germans and the rest will be history. Why can't Hargreaves break his foot? :whistle:

I don't think he could. He can't seem to do anything else. :(

Must have been on a different channel to the game I watched - I thought Carragher had a solid game, and Ashley Cole proved to be very effective up and down the flank.

Owen on the other hand should be allowed to stay with the ladies in the Bigg Market and Hargreaves must be in the squad because of his knowledge of bier kellers or somesuch. One day the answer to life, the universe and everything will be given (and make more sense than '42')... but on that day I will still not understand why Hargreaves is in the squad. Like a laterday Phil Neville, his inclusion never adds anything to the team performance. Maybe he is sucessful in Germany but isn't it odd that he hasn't been prised away by the richer Premier League?

Maybe he is just in the squad in order to make some of the others look good? He should partner Walcott up front. :rolleyes:

Carragher, pff not creative to play that role and doesn't push up enough to compensate for the fact we're lacking a striker. Ashley Cole did look good coming fowards but he got caught in possesion twice in his own half and basically got Sol Campbell booked with a way ward pass ( not the only way ward pass of the night from him either ) he does that in the World Cup and teams will punish it alot more then the Hungarians did.

I hoped you wouldn't mention Hargreaves. You talk about Walcot looking out of place but at least the kid has some excuse. Even the pundits were scathing of Hargreaves and they are paid to gloss things over (otherwise they'd have some fans on giving opinions)! I'd love someone to explain to me any strengths he's got. From the evidence of this game and others, he cannot control the ball, cannot mark, cannot tackle, cannot pass, looks lost, has little awareness and often his inadequacies leave other players out of position. Really reasssuring that one. I loved Wrighty's comment that "He must have something on Sven," to get selected.

Speaking of Ian Wright, I wonder how he feels about recommending Shaun Wright Phillips go to Chelsea seeing as he's missed out on his chance to play in this World Cup...

Completely agree about Hargreaves. Not awful but simply not good enough to play at this level for England. None of our midfielders have impressed in the last few games apart from Lennon in patches and Beckham who has been fairly good.

when a world cup medal is at stake i'm sure people like lampard will wake up, (unless he doesn't choke like usual in big games), cus they are selfish bastards, and they want to have a world cup medal. People like lampard couldn't give a shit in friendly games.

when a world cup medal is at stake i'm sure people like lampard will wake up, (unless he doesn't choke like usual in big games), cus they are selfish bastards, and they want to have a world cup medal. People like lampard couldn't give a shit in friendly games.

Yes, all footballers are, it's a money and fame is what they play for!!!

All i have seen of Theo Walcott, was a ten minutes spell for Southampton against us at Hillsborough, he looked very lively and quick. I don't think that he should have been picked but hopefully the big gamble thats Sven has took will pay off and he will play his part in bringing the World Cup back to the place where football was born :)

Come on England!

I thought the game passed him by apart from one moment where he hit the cross shot wide.

He was barely involved at all and didn't have many touches considering the amount of time he was on. He didn't prove anything to those critics (like myself) but I'm hardly surprised by that. Yet the press were still lapping him up to be the next Rooney when he clearly won't. He could just as well be the next Francis Jeffers.

I thought the game passed him by apart from one moment where he hit the cross shot wide.

He was barely involved at all and didn't have many touches considering the amount of time he was on. He didn't prove anything to those critics (like myself) but I'm hardly surprised by that. Yet the press were still lapping him up to be the next Rooney when he clearly won't. He could just as well be the next Francis Jeffers.

Excellent quote, best way to sum up his situation.

Archived