Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Lets just pause for a thought a moment

Next season will be a tough season for Leicester and I unlike many other Leicester fans think we'll finish in or about the same position we have for the past two years.

Rob Kelly record to save Leicester at the back end of last season was impressive, no one can argue that, I just feel that over the course of next season he'll struggle a bit more. He's now got the opportunity to mould his own team and we've yet to see a Rob Kelly signing in action. Now I'm not saying he'll sign bad players, but I feel he's more of a motivator type manager. The team at Rob's disposal last season was built by Craig Levein, who I think had a really, really good eye for talent and purchased players with huge potential at bargain prices.

We now have the current players at our disposal:

Goalkeeper

Rab Douglas

Paul Henderson

Conrad Logan

Defenders:

Maybury

McAuley

Kisnorbo

McCarthy

Johansson

Stearman

Sheehan

Gerrbrand

Midfield:

Hughes

Williams

Sylla

Tiatto

Hammill

Porter

Wesolowski

Forwards:

Hume

De Vries

Fryatt

Hammond

O'Grady

Dodds

My question to you is, how does Gareth McAuley fit into the current system?

With the large number of centre backs at the club, is he looking at a more 3-5-2 rather than 4-4-2 formation?

Playing this system would then give you the opportunity to get Alan Sheehan into the team. I believe his dead ball expertise and crossing ability are better than anyone else's at the football club currently and this guy deserves his chance in the team. He isn't the best defensive player in the world but going forwards he adds that bit more of a cutting edge without having to worry about "holding back" as he'd have three centre backs behind him. He's rather like Guppy used to be for me. On the other flank you could then play either Maybury or Stearman, both player are more than capable of playing this role. Stearman doesn't make a bad centre back either.

In terms of the midfield, you be playing a midfield three or possible Williams, Hughes and then a holding player of either Wesolowski or even Gerrbrand. This would then allow you to player Hume, Fryatt, De Vries or O'Grady up front.

Playing this system would effectively keep out some of the players who came in for heavy critics last year, the likes of Sylla, Hammill and Tiatto simply wouldn't be able to feature for one reason or another.

I'd go for:

GK: Henderson

CB: McCarthy

CB: Kisnorbo

CB: Johansson

LWB: Sheehan

RWB: Stearman

DMF: Weslowski

CM: Hughes

CM: Williams

FW: Fryatt

FW: Hume

Thats how I see this shaping up. I think we're 2-3 players short of having a realistic chance of getting out of this league. We need an experienced player ideally in the middle to hold things together or failing that someone who's got the determination, drive and leadership skills to boss the middle. Wesolowski I believe can do it but his injury proneness worries me. I think if we could get hold of a midfield holding player who's got the necessary experience it'd help no end, especially as McCarthy isnt going to play every game and when he doesnt play thats when we look our most voulnerable, simply as theres no one bossing.

Thats how I see this shaping up. I think we're 2-3 players short of having a realistic chance of getting out of this league. We need an experienced player ideally in the middle to hold things together or failing that someone who's got the determination, drive and leadership skills to boss the middle. Wesolowski I believe can do it but his injury proneness worries me. I think if we could get hold of a midfield holding player who's got the necessary experience it'd help no end, especially as McCarthy isnt going to play every game and when he doesnt play thats when we look our most voulnerable, simply as theres no one bossing.

I think Micah Hyde from Burnley would do that midfield role.....we've been linked to over the past few days.

I personally think that WESO is wasted in a DMF role as the few times i have seen him he liked to attack. MaCauley would be back up for KIS and PADDY as they both wont play every game (paddy and his yellow cards again) and the threat of one of them being sold. So that is why RK has brought this guy in.

Great signing i think!! :devil:

I think Kelly combines tactical awareness and nous along with motivational skills. On this basis McCauley will play where he is best suited as will all the other players. I think this is Kelly's strength. He builds the team to best suit its combined talents. You seem think he is a motivator only. I disagree.

+ McAuleys Northern Irish... so hes bound to be a bit hardcore!

Definately looks like 3-5-2 or 3-1-4-2 next season, but shall wait and see. with Kisnorbo having confidence he may be able to just sit in front of the defence?

Definately looks like 3-5-2 or 3-1-4-2 next season, but shall wait and see. with Kisnorbo having confidence he may be able to just sit in front of the defence?

Are you sure???? :blink::cry:

You obviously did not see any games when he played there Tom. :rolleyes:

He's now got the opportunity to mould his own team and we've yet to see a Rob Kelly signing in action. Now I'm not saying he'll sign bad players, but I feel he's more of a motivator type manager. The team at Rob's disposal last season was built by Craig Levein, who I think had a really, really good eye for talent and purchased players with huge potential at bargain prices.

We now have the current players at our disposal:

Wasnt it Kelly that suggested Hume and/or Fryatt? Leveins additions were all the SPL players. I could be very wrong though.

Wasnt it Kelly that suggested Hume and/or Fryatt? Leveins additions were all the SPL players. I could be very wrong though.

I've not heard that before.

I thought I'd seen a quote somewhere from Craig Levein saying that him bringing Fryatt to Leicester was the last/best thing he did. Unfortuantely it was just to late for him.

Basically... what you're saying is.... we need Gary Parker back again.

Its a shame the whole N Lennon thing has dropped off because, well, that would be bloody brilliant, but I can't see it happening now. Then there's Izzet and you have to ask, what if Weso AND Muz are out injured?

I do feel we'd play far better with 3 at the back, and would give us the flexibility to throw 3 up front if we are one down late on. 3-4-3 is great...

Towards the tail end of last season in the games I saw - with Weso the ball came through the middle a lot more than without Weso, so I think it goes to show that we do defo need someone in that position. I mean, even if it is Tiatto at least it changes the mentality of the team to actually use the midfiled rather than bypass it.

Its a shame the whole N Lennon thing has dropped off because, well, that would be bloody brilliant, but I can't see it happening now. Then there's Izzet and you have to ask, what if Weso AND Muz are out injured?

I do feel we'd play far better with 3 at the back, and would give us the flexibility to throw 3 up front if we are one down late on. 3-4-3 is great...

Towards the tail end of last season in the games I saw - with Weso the ball came through the middle a lot more than without Weso, so I think it goes to show that we do defo need someone in that position. I mean, even if it is Tiatto at least it changes the mentality of the team to actually use the midfiled rather than bypass it.

If I was a defender and Tiatto wanted the ball, I'd cut out the middle man and just boot it off the pitch.

I've not heard that before.

I thought I'd seen a quote somewhere from Craig Levein saying that him bringing Fryatt to Leicester was the last/best thing he did. Unfortuantely it was just to late for him.

OK, well i wasnt 100% sure about Fryatt but im pretty Hume was possibly Kelly's suggestion or something, if i remember rightly Levein said when we signed Hume that Kelly had been watching him at his previous club or something.

OK, well i wasnt 100% sure about Fryatt but im pretty Hume was possibly Kelly's suggestion or something, if i remember rightly Levein said when we signed Hume that Kelly had been watching him at his previous club or something.

No, Levein said when we signed Hume that he'd watched him at Hearts but couldn't afford him there. With Fryatt he said he saw him in his first few weeks of being down here and had identified him as someone he'd like to sign in the future.

I think the games changed since the days of Parker and Lennon, with someone like Wesolowski in the middle he can push on and help us attack as well as play the middle man putting in the boot and winning the ball back rather than just sitting on the halfway line vending the ball to the wings. We are of course in desperate need of Wingers or decent production from the flanks if we play a wing back system. Stearmans deliveries i've always thought very highly of and with the reviews of Sheehans left foot it could be the start of something very good, we shall have to wait and see. The main thing is to get some influencial players into the team. We just seem to lack organisation at times especially when Paddy Mac isnt in the side.

Archived