Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Getting the kids in to it

My kids have not ever been into footy at all - until they started school in England this year. The boy is 6 and the girl is 5 ... and they suddenly have a favourite player [beckham].

I've been pumping them to support my team, but their friends are all Villa fans, aside from the smattering of Arsenal/Chelsea/ManYoo "fans". I said to the wife, I said, "I don't want to force them into anything because I don't want them to rebel..."

We went camping at the De Mont this weekend, and called in at the shop on the way. Each kid spent the weekend clutching a little blue bear and tonight we opened our season tickets. I wasn't convinced by the plan initially...but if it ropes kids like mine in then it has to be a winner.

It seems to be working on my two...

Imo kids are only really start to understand, the reasons to support a team when they're about 10ish, i know a lot of younger people who have supported Man Uutd etc when they were younger but now support different teams because of a certain family member or where they're from. In a few years time they'll see whats right!

In my opinion, the earlier you get kids involved with their local football clubs the better. I'll admit that as a very small child (about 6 years old) I used to have a Man United scarf and a other little bits and bobs to do with Man United. That was because they were the team I saw on TV winning things and they used to be in my sticker book whereas at that time Leicester weren't. How are little kids meant to love Leicester when they hardly ever get to see us play on TV (extremely rare to see us on terrestrial for those who do not have Sky) and we're not in sticker books whilst we're in the Championship. And what moment made me become a Leicester supporter for life? Watching the 1996 play-off final on TV. Waving my Dad, brother and sister off in the morning, watching the match on TV knowing they were there and waiting for them to get home from the game are things I still remember clearly. Also running through the streets of Leicester to see the players victory parade. As a kid you follow the example of your family members and that was the first day I remember my family members clearly showing that they support Leicester City. After all, you can't expect small children to support a team they've never seen play before

The free season tickets work. My kids first went last season, with 2 getting free under 8s. When they first went, they weren't that interested in the football but loved the event, the atmosphere and the hotdogs. Now they follow the game better and are more interested in football generally. The club also benefits because they keep demanding expensive shite from the club shop...

It also helped letting them go to alternate matches and then to be able to bring a friend along when they went.

The free season tickets work. My kids first went last season, with 2 getting free under 8s. When they first went, they weren't that interested in the football but loved the event, the atmosphere and the hotdogs. Now they follow the game better and are more interested in football generally. The club also benefits because they keep demanding expensive shite from the club shop...

What??? You mean the hot dogs aren't free too?!

It also helped letting them go to alternate matches and then to be able to bring a friend along when they went.

Good tip, I'll try that. :thumbup:

Totally agree get kids in early.I'm a big grown up kid who went to FS in 70s when my grandads mate was on hols.I loved it but my old man wasn't into soccer so never got to go.But now I've the means I have a season ticket and take 2 of my kids and my sisters lad and we have a great time even if city play crap.Getem in early root for ya roots

Although I think everything should be done to encourage new young fans, having struggled to take 3 on a regular basis myself I don't think the tickets should be free, they should at least cover the admin costs and use that money to subsidise other age groups. No one should get in for free.

im all for getting kids into our club but please keep them to the family stand only :angry: <_<

I'll be taking the bairns to L1 so the chavs there can really learn what foul-mouthed anti-social behaviour is.

Although I think everything should be done to encourage new young fans, having struggled to take 3 on a regular basis myself I don't think the tickets should be free, they should at least cover the admin costs and use that money to subsidise other age groups. No one should get in for free.

If I had to pay I wouldn't have got season tickets for them. One is 5 and the other is 6 and so I'm pushing it to keep them occupied for a full game.

Without the seasson tickets I couldn't get them seats next to me for when they come - and I am reasonably confident that there will be a fair few spare seats in the ground this season.

The point is that they will be paying in the future and that will more than cover their accrued admin costs won't it. Other age groups already get a subsidy.

i dont mind the idea of kids getting in for free, but like another poster i have had to struggle taking 5 kids for the last few years, the offer was not open to my kids back then, and when it was started my kids were just to old, this season only 3 of them will be coming to the games, 2 have lost interest, so yes its a good idea to get young ones involved but it can also go the other way if the team are not doing well,

If I had to pay I wouldn't have got season tickets for them. One is 5 and the other is 6 and so I'm pushing it to keep them occupied for a full game.

Without the seasson tickets I couldn't get them seats next to me for when they come - and I am reasonably confident that there will be a fair few spare seats in the ground this season.

The point is that they will be paying in the future and that will more than cover their accrued admin costs won't it. Other age groups already get a subsidy.

Even if it was £5 for a season ticket, I just feel it's unbalanced when you make some levels free.

Under 8 - £0

Under 12 - £59

Under 16 - £165

I'd much prefer to see all under 16's the same price - spreading the savings; £165 seems excessive compared to the others. If you've got children it makes no difference what age they are your under 8's will soon be under 16's will you suddenly be able to fork out the equivalent of £330 for them

I'd much prefer to see all under 16's the same price - spreading the savings; £165 seems excessive compared to the others. If you've got children it makes no difference what age they are your under 8's will soon be under 16's will you suddenly be able to fork out the equivalent of £330 for them

At least by that time I will know if £165 is a waste of money. If I get them coming more and more often over three years then I'll know to buy an ST or not. Without this scheme I would only bring them to one or two games a year, with it I will be asking them to come every game apart from mid-weeks.

The whole concept of being charged to cover costs is irrelevant because that isn't the current scheme. I appreciate that it discriminates against kids who are now too old, but don't all promotions work that way? I didn't get any free beer because I was first in line to get my ST this season, I'm not arguing that there should have been a fairer way to distribute beer to everyone with an ST...because I accept that it is marketing at work.

This offer is about getting EXTRA kids into the ground [mainly in the future], reaping the benefits in additional matchday sales and the long term ticket sales. Dropping charges for U16 ST's would make some parents very happy...but I doubt it would have the same effect over the long term. If anything, it would probably drop revenue.

I think our ticket pricing is very reasonable in comparrison with other teams - you need a second mortgage to buy one for Birmingham [they were charging away fans £45 last season!!!] - which makes £7 a game look very reasonable.

At least by that time I will know if £165 is a waste of money. If I get them coming more and more often over three years then I'll know to buy an ST or not. Without this scheme I would only bring them to one or two games a year, with it I will be asking them to come every game apart from mid-weeks.

The whole concept of being charged to cover costs is irrelevant because that isn't the current scheme. I appreciate that it discriminates against kids who are now too old, but don't all promotions work that way? I didn't get any free beer because I was first in line to get my ST this season, I'm not arguing that there should have been a fairer way to distribute beer to everyone with an ST...because I accept that it is marketing at work.

This offer is about getting EXTRA kids into the ground [mainly in the future], reaping the benefits in additional matchday sales and the long term ticket sales. Dropping charges for U16 ST's would make some parents very happy...but I doubt it would have the same effect over the long term. If anything, it would probably drop revenue.

I think our ticket pricing is very reasonable in comparrison with other teams - you need a second mortgage to buy one for Birmingham [they were charging away fans £45 last season!!!] - which makes £7 a game look very reasonable.

But all your points would still be valid if the tickets were say a fiver. Or are you saying that if they're not free you aren't interested.

But all your points would still be valid if the tickets were say a fiver. Or are you saying that if they're not free you aren't interested.

I'm saying that the question has no relevance. They are free, I have two.

The 'cost' of the free ST promotion will have been included in a marketing budget that is costed and funded from income sources. The decision to make them free has been taken and that is what we currently have to discuss.

A hypothetical 'would I if' question serves no purpose. Why stick at a fiver? Why not have, say, £6.50? Abritrary figures, plucked from the sky, have no relevence or meaning.

As I said, I believe the short term cost would be more than made up by the increase in POS matchday activity due to larger numbers at the stadium. The long term benefit is increased revenue generated from a higher level of ticket sales.

The are two laws in Marketing - 'sex sells' and 'people like free stuff'. I am of the opinion that the true cost of this strategy is considerably less than five pounds, something of the order of twenty five pence tops, and this makes it financially unviable to recupe...which means that if you are going to charge anything then it has to be at a certain price break. You may argue that five pounds means nothing to anyone - but it is not free. It is the 'free' that ropes more people in, like it or not.

It is the 'free' that ropes more people in, like it or not.

Especially for something like this. It means more people will take the kids along just to see if they get interested without out any of the, "I've paid good money for these tickets, you ungrateful swine." stress. If they don't get interested, no-one loses; if they do, everyone benefits in the end.

I'm saying that the question has no relevance. They are free, I have two.

The 'cost' of the free ST promotion will have been included in a marketing budget that is costed and funded from income sources. The decision to make them free has been taken and that is what we currently have to discuss.

A hypothetical 'would I if' question serves no purpose. Why stick at a fiver? Why not have, say, £6.50? Abritrary figures, plucked from the sky, have no relevence or meaning.

As I said, I believe the short term cost would be more than made up by the increase in POS matchday activity due to larger numbers at the stadium. The long term benefit is increased revenue generated from a higher level of ticket sales.

The are two laws in Marketing - 'sex sells' and 'people like free stuff'. I am of the opinion that the true cost of this strategy is considerably less than five pounds, something of the order of twenty five pence tops, and this makes it financially unviable to recupe...which means that if you are going to charge anything then it has to be at a certain price break. You may argue that five pounds means nothing to anyone - but it is not free. It is the 'free' that ropes more people in, like it or not.

I would definitely get a season ticket if I got free sex - they shoulnd have used that idea!!

This offer obviously helps children to get interested, like with FnF when I was a kid. I had my Man United phase which I gladly came out of aged about 11 or 12. But the reason free entries annoy me is because I can never afford to pay all the money up front for an st, or to travel back home from Nottingham every time we play. I think the young adult prices are alright, but by the time I have left university and actually have some money I will have to pay adult prices :( AWW, POOR SH1T FACE

I realise it is entirely my choice to be living away from home and to spend the little money I have on parties and booze (and the occasional book etc) but when I'm listening to the games on my dodgy radio, and I think of all the people who are at the games and who don't want to be there (I mean business folk more than kids here) it annoys me.

LEAGUE CLUBS TAKE INITIATIVE WITH 'FANS OF THE FUTURE'

Thousands of young supporters throughout England and Wales will have the opportunity to begin a lifelong passion for their local club following the launch of a major new initiative by The Football League.

The 'Fans of the Future' campaign aims to encourage the next generation of supporters to watch live football at their local League club by providing a range of innovative ticketing initiatives for young supporters. More than half of League clubs have introduced a 'Kids Go Free' scheme, offering free entry to children accompanied by a paying adult. In total 34 of these have committed to applying the scheme at all home matches. Additionally, other clubs are offering ticket discounts, kid-a-quid matches, family tickets and free tickets for school groups.

'Fans of the Future' is a core part of The Football League's re-branding programme. It breaks new ground for the world's original league football competition by being its first centrally co-ordinated attendance building initiative. The League has provided clubs with a range of marketing materials that can be individually tailored by each club.

Football League Chairman Lord Mawhinney said:

"Supporters are the lifeblood of professional football. By making League matches more accessible to young supporters through 'Fans of the Future' Football League clubs are taking a courageous lead. They are helping themselves by helping young people to enjoy football locally. I congratulate them on being far-sighted enough to commit themselves to an initiative that will deliver real results for generations to come.

"I am certain that young supporters and their parents will react positively to this initiative and I encourage them to take advantage of it. Having the opportunity to see their local side in action will begin a lifelong football passion for many."

Research undertaken on behalf of The Football League indicates that parents will be receptive to the 'Fans of the Future' initiative, even when they do not regard themselves as football fans.

The research reveals that where a scheme such as 'Kids Go Free' is in operation:

- 77% of parents, who have not taken their kids to their local Football League team's matches before, would consider now doing so

- 67% of parents who are not football fans would consider now taking their kids to watch their local Football League team play

The launch of 'Fans of the Future' comes at a time when The League is enjoying its best attendances for more than four decades, with total attendances of 16.4m in the 2004/05 season being the best recorded crowd figures since 1959/60.

One club with first-hand experience of operating an initiative of this type is Preston North End. In August 2004 the club introduced its 'Mini Whites' scheme offering free admission to any under 8 that registered with the club. As a result the number of registered supporters of that age rose from 86 to 948 - with approximately 80% attending matches on a regular basis. Encouragingly, since its introduction 69% of youngsters graduating from the scheme have subsequently bought a season ticket with the club.

Commenting on the success of 'Mini Whites' and the launch of 'Fans of the Future' Preston North End Manager Billy Davies said:

"These fans of the future are not only the future of this club but they are the future of the game as a whole. We need to encourage youngsters to come to football as there is so much out there for them to do these days and we face a big battle to hold their attention.

"At Deepdale we actively encourage youngsters to get down to the club on a matchday through our pioneering Mini Whites scheme which allows all kids under the age of eight free entry to our games. The youngsters of today are the bedrock of the game tomorrow."

I never had a Man United phase. Started going at the age of 5 and by 7 it was my life. Remember the Oxford great escape game vividly. By 10 bloody hell I'd been to Wembley three times!

My Dad took me to Kettering first cos back then at Leicester the old main stand was still up and you had to stand behind the old white wall etc, the Kop was a bit more lairy than before they took away the seating.

As for keeping kids in the family stand, when do you stop being a kid?! I'm sure all the 15-year-olds would love being told to get out of L1 into the family stand!!!

I never had a Man United phase. Started going at the age of 5 and by 7 it was my life. Remember the Oxford great escape game vividly. By 10 bloody hell I'd been to Wembley three times!

My Dad took me to Kettering first cos back then at Leicester the old main stand was still up and you had to stand behind the old white wall etc, the Kop was a bit more lairy than before they took away the seating.

As for keeping kids in the family stand, when do you stop being a kid?! I'm sure all the 15-year-olds would love being told to get out of L1 into the family stand!!!

I think you stop being a kid, when you can go to the bogs on your own'!!

Archived