Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Do you still feel the same about Lennon

After reading this:

Form Sky

Neil Lennon has admitted that he was tempted to join Crystal Palace, but felt he could not leave Celtic ahead of what he hopes will be an exciting season.

The veteran midfielder's future had become a hot topic of debate in the last few weeks, as the Parkhead club had failed to come up with a suitable contract offer.

This prompted new Palace chief Peter Taylor to test the water with an offer of his own.

Lennon claims he came close to heading down to London, but opted to sign a one-year deal with Celtic following talks with Bhoys chief Gordon Strachan.

"It was a good offer (from Palace)," Lennon said on Sky Sports News. "I knew Peter from my days at Leicester, he was good to me and he has done well at his previous clubs and there was a tempter there, but I have a lot to offer up here.

"To leave Celtic now at such an exciting stage, I may regret it further on down the line.

"It was always my first intention to get something sorted here and I am glad I did."

Lennon is looking forward to the challenge of leading Celtic in this season's UEFA Champions League.

"It was such a goods season last season, leading the club to the championship," added Lennon. "The Champions League is a big incentive for me to stay as well, but it would have been really hard for me to have left the club at this stage of my career.

"I feel I have a lot to offer and after speaking to the manager he thinks so as well."

Lennon had voiced his frustration over the lack of movement on his contract, but he claims he was always confident of striking a deal.

"They obviously wanted me to stay but these things take time," he added. "People were on holiday and then I was away, so it was only when I got back that we started to sort it."

My opinion wouldn't change on him 'cos he likes working under PT at all, he always gave 110% when he was here and moved on to better his career, that's about as much as you can ask for from a player.

Lennon obviously feels guilty, his departure from Leicester ultimately then showed how much Peter Taylor was out of his depth at Leicester and perhaps he feels it would be his duty to try and repair his credibility by saying he came close to joining Palace.

I saw the interview and Lennon hardly said it with much conviction, he was saked the question at a press conference so he was hardly going to say otherwise.

It hurt me a little he was tempted to move to Palace purely because that meant we stood a chance of getting him if we tried.

I saw the interview and Lennon hardly said it with much conviction, he was saked the question at a press conference so he was hardly going to say otherwise.

It hurt me a little he was tempted to move to Palace purely because that meant we stood a chance of getting him if we tried.

Same here, but I suppose city could never match his wage demands!!!!

It sounds like he was being diplomatic, that's all.

The Turnip gave him a big pay rise during his time us, so it's easy to see how they may have got on.

But that doesn't change the fact he was a great player for us, and that's how we should remember him.

Archived