Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Kelly Buoyed Despite Wesolowski Blow

Rob Kelly says he is pleased to get the first stepping stone to the new season under his belt following Leicester's 4-1 victory over Boston on Wednesday evening.

Chris O'Grady (2), Iain Hume and new signing Josh Low all got on the scoresheet on the night as the Foxes proved too hot to handle for the Pilgrims.

But despite the confidence-boosting win, Kelly was dealt a blow in the news that James Wesolowski, who has just returned from a broken leg, has picked up a thigh injury.

He said: "It was a good workout and everyone bar James Wesolowski got 45 minutes against good opposition. Steve Evans' sides are always competitive and well organised.

"We won and that is always a good habit to get into straight away. I am pleased with the way the whole evening went.

"I am, however, disappointed for Jimbo (James Wesolowski). That is the one thing that has tinged the evening for us.

"He has got a thigh strain. As soon as he flagged it up we took him off and hopefully it is not going to be too serious.

"These sort of things happen when you are coming back from a long-term injury. I remember that the same thing happened to myself after I had been out for two years - I picked up all sorts of little things afterwards. Jimbo might pick up one or two little things while he is coming back, but he will be fine."

Kelly fielded two different line ups for each half on the night, and speaking after the game he confirmed that he had been happy with his selections.

He added: "My feeling behind the two line ups was that I simply wanted everyone to play in their positions. I certainly wouldn't read too much into it because at the moment the team to play Luton on the first day of the season certainly hasn't been picked.

"I just wanted to put out two teams of equal strength and for them both to get 45 minutes. That was the object of the exercise."

Kelly also revealed his reasoning behind not including Mark de Vries, Momo Sylla and Joe Hamill in the squad for the game.

He said: "I believe that the situation is healthy. I have spoken with the three players and told them that I wanted to take a squad of 22 to the game and give them 45 minutes each. Unfortunately, in that situation, I can't play 25. I can only play 22.

"There is a challenge there for them. They now have the opportunity to force me to reassess by putting in the performances.

"They have acted in a professional manner. They are part and parcel of Leicester City and they have been fine."

I nearly dropped my bag when I read the headline on the official site. Let's hope he's only out for a week or so and is back for the remainder of the friendlies.

As Kelly says, it's quite common to pick up knocks when you come back from a serious injury. Thigh strains if not too bad only keep players out for a week or so, if that. But they might not rush him back.

I'm begining to see the logic in RK not bigging Weso up at all, if the lad's gonna get lots of niggling injuries this season - not our saviour then :cry:

Kelly's right in not bigging him up too much. Levein did it and he got a big injury again and that will have devastated the lad after the excitement of knowing he was guaranteed first team football and being our shining light. Kelly knows the score here, he's a young lad who has had some bad injuries. Hopefully they aren't injuries that will ruin his career because although broken bones are serious injuries they also make the bone stronger when they heal and it's very unfortunate to break the same bone in quick succession and thankfully it was in a different place. Many players have broken their legs more than once (Dublin broke his leg about 3 times) and recovered.

This injury isn't anything to worry about just yet, but it's frustrating.

Kelly also revealed his reasoning behind not including Mark de Vries, Momo Sylla and Joe Hamill in the squad for the game.

He said: "I believe that the situation is healthy. I have spoken with the three players and told them that I wanted to take a squad of 22 to the game and give them 45 minutes each. Unfortunately, in that situation, I can't play 25. I can only play 22.

"There is a challenge there for them. They now have the opportunity to force me to reassess by putting in the performances.

Meaning all three are free to a good home!

Yep, I don't think it was coincidence those three didn't make the cut.

I'm stilling hoping for the MDV revival this season though.

It's certainly encouraging that O'Grady bagged a brace and Hamill and Sylla were left out. Even with O'Grady scoreing, MDV I am not so sure about.... I see no good reason to take Elvis Hammond instead of him.

Kelly's right in not bigging him up too much. Levein did it and he got a big injury again and that will have devastated the lad after the excitement of knowing he was guaranteed first team football and being our shining light. Kelly knows the score here, he's a young lad who has had some bad injuries. Hopefully they aren't injuries that will ruin his career because although broken bones are serious injuries they also make the bone stronger when they heal and it's very unfortunate to break the same bone in quick succession and thankfully it was in a different place. Many players have broken their legs more than once (Dublin broke his leg about 3 times) and recovered.

They do do this, but it makes the surrounding bone more succeptable to breakages then (i.e. only as strong as the weakest point) case proved in Weso's situation...

They do do this, but it makes the surrounding bone more succeptable to breakages then (i.e. only as strong as the weakest point) case proved in Weso's situation...

But it's very unfortunate to break the same bone again in quick succession isn't it? I know his first break was quite bad and it needed pinning, but it wasn't a dislocation and a fracture which can cause trouble. So it would be fair to say that there isn't any reason why he shouldn't have a full playing career as broken bones aren't quite as problematic long term as injuries such as muscular and ligament injuries. Or am I talking bollocks? I'm just trying to convince myself that 2 borken legs and a small thigh strain isn't equalling game over for Wessels.

But it's very unfortunate to break the same bone again in quick succession isn't it? I know his first break was quite bad and it needed pinning, but it wasn't a dislocation and a fracture which can cause trouble. So it would be fair to say that there isn't any reason why he shouldn't have a full playing career as broken bones aren't quite as problematic long term as injuries such as muscular and ligament injuries. Or am I talking bollocks? I'm just trying to convince myself that 2 borken legs and a small thigh strain isn't equalling game over for Wessels.

True, I mean just look at Savage!! Smashed both legs in a car crash, still running like a headless chicken!!

spot on!..... lets hope he's mentally ok thou, last thing you want is another 3 months out with a niggle!

spot on!..... lets hope he's mentally ok thou, last thing you want is another 3 months out with a niggle!

He was warming down with the other lads that played the first half at half time and seemed ok according to another forum, so i'd say it's more a week or two injury than a 3 monther. Fingers crossed.

Yep, I don't think it was coincidence those three didn't make the cut.

I'm stilling hoping for the MDV revival this season though.

Funny that the OS forgot to mention that Kelly also named Dodds as one of those being left behind, despite being a 'great prospect'.

It's certainly encouraging that O'Grady bagged a brace and Hamill and Sylla were left out. Even with O'Grady scoreing, MDV I am not so sure about.... I see no good reason to take Elvis Hammond instead of him.

Elvis contributed in the first two goals, and De Vries would have probably missed O Gradys chances.

I'd take Hammond over De Vries any day.

Good to see that MDV, Sylla and Hamill aren't even considered good enough to be in a squad of 22 at present. Looks like Sylla's shirt number swap wasn't entirely coincidental, he certainly doesn't appear to be first choice for right wing any more :whistle:

According to the OS, we'll find out how long Weso is out for tomorrow but the early signs say it's just a small pull of the thigh and he'll be back within 2 weeks. Fingers crossed he's back for the Lincoln and Sociadad friendlies.

Archived