Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Are we really any nearer?

After all the debate I was trying to decide what the friendlies have told us so far and who would seem to have their place guaranteed barring injury or unforeseen circumstances.

The results might have sounded okay but the pronounced weaknesses we had at the end of the season don't seem to have been rectified according to any of the evidence so far: goalkeeper, midfield scorer, winger.

a) I would say the goalkeeper is undecided given Douglas had a shocker at Lincoln and Henderson has a dislocated finger.

b) Three players Stearman, McCarthy and Kisnorbo are guaranteed a back line place although Kisnorbo's suspended so that makes a bit of a dilemma with McAuley/Kenton/Nils in the frame and a decision to be made about left back.

c) Maybury will get a midfield place cos Kelly has said he likes having him in front of Stearman and Hughes will get another midfield place, probably with Johnson.

And that's it.

Logically Fryatt and Hume will be given chance to start where they finished up front but Hammond and O'Grady have been far more potent and impressive to date. Kelly could justify any selection, but he won't. It will be Hume and Fryatt for sure.

So altogether I think eight places are settled and three are up for grabs (at least theoretically).

Goalkeeper? I've been convinced we need a new one for ages.

Left-back: Sheehan's perhaps helped his cause but he'll stick to tried and trusted defender Nils.

Midfield: Assuming he plays four you've got a small army to choose from and, although Porter has probably been most impressive overall, the remaining space will likely go to Williams (another old hand) at least until Weso is fully ready.

Strikers: Fryatt and Hume because they did well before with O'Grady and Hammond the established cover and Dodds possibly coming onto the bench if anyone's injured.

Result? Have we improved on what we had last year? No, not on the evidence. We still have the same weaknesses, the same lack of goals from too many parts of the pitch and our new players have hardly had any impact at all.

The only bright spot has been that Kelly now knows he can probably rely on the ex-Reserves as decent cover which will be reassuring and Hammond's emergence has been like having a new signing in itself if he keeps it up.

After all the debate I was trying to decide what the friendlies have told us so far and who would seem to have their place guaranteed barring injury or unforeseen circumstances.

The results might have sounded okay but the pronounced weaknesses we had at the end of the season don't seem to have been rectified according to any of the evidence so far: goalkeeper, midfield scorer, winger.

a) I would say the goalkeeper is undecided given Douglas had a shocker at Lincoln and Henderson has a dislocated finger.

b) Three players Stearman, McCarthy and Kisnorbo are guaranteed a back line place although Kisnorbo's suspended so that makes a bit of a dilemma with McAuley/Kenton/Nils in the frame and a decision to be made about left back.

c) Maybury will get a midfield place cos Kelly has said he likes having him in front of Stearman and Hughes will get another midfield place, probably with Johnson.

And that's it.

Logically Fryatt and Hume will be given chance to start where they finished up front but Hammond and O'Grady have been far more potent and impressive to date. Kelly could justify any selection, but he won't. It will be Hume and Fryatt for sure.

So altogether I think eight places are settled and three are up for grabs (at least theoretically).

Goalkeeper? I've been convinced we need a new one for ages.

Left-back: Sheehan's perhaps helped his cause but he'll stick to tried and trusted defender Nils.

Midfield: Assuming he plays four you've got a small army to choose from and, although Porter has probably been most impressive overall, the remaining space will likely go to Williams (another old hand) at least until Weso is fully ready.

Strikers: Fryatt and Hume because they did well before with O'Grady and Hammond the established cover and Dodds possibly coming onto the bench if anyone's injured.

Result? Have we improved on what we had last year? No, not on the evidence. We still have the same weaknesses, the same lack of goals from too many parts of the pitch and our new players have hardly had any impact at all.

The only bright spot has been that Kelly now knows he can probably rely on the ex-Reserves as decent cover which will be reassuring and Hammond's emergence has been like having a new signing in itself if he keeps it up.

I think we are looking much better than last season but we can only make a real assessment after about 10 league games.

1. Firstly, I don't think Hughes is certain of a place in the midfield. This is not based on my like for Williams and dislike for hughes, I genuinely believe Williams and Johnson will be the favoured partenership in the centre of midfield.

2. I don't think, like you the results have been outstanding, but the team have certainly exceeded my expectations for at least 2/3 of the 4 games. Also I don't think scoring is a problem. 11 in 4 games is a decent record that many teams in our situation would like to have scored. Probably our defense is the most worrying point, especially after last night.

I think we are looking much better than last season but we can only make a real assessment after about 10 league games.

1. Firstly, I don't think Hughes is certain of a place in the midfield. This is not based on my like for Williams and dislike for hughes, I genuinely believe Williams and Johnson will be the favoured partenership in the centre of midfield.

2. I don't think, like you the results have been outstanding, but the team have certainly exceeded my expectations for at least 2/3 of the 4 games. Also I don't think scoring is a problem. 11 in 4 games is a decent record that many teams in our situation would like to have scored. Probably our defense is the most worrying point, especially after last night.

Better it happened last night then against Luton.

The reason we are no nearer is purely down to the fans - whether it be negativity or bias.

Just because you like a certain player it doesn't mean they should be in the squad - Rob Kelly picks our team, no one else.

And getting on players backs is really going to help their confidence. :thumbup:

We as fans, need to get behind the team regardless of what is going on.

Our 'defensive' balls-up is widely attributed to Douglas having a shocker.

Obviously, frailties are still apparent, but they're not '3-goals bad' - at least I don't think so, for now.

Kelly has himself said that he has a strong idea of the team he wants to play - with 2 or 3 spots up for grabs, as you reckon, Thrac.

I don't think he has exactly the same 8 in mind that you do.

Henderson will be goalkeeper, that's almost certain - his finger should be fine, soon enough.

Stearman is essentially guaranteed the RB slot. McCarthy and Kisnorbo likewise for the CB slots - and my money is on McAuley to take Kisnorbo's place when appropriate. I see the CB pairing essentially being a case of 'pick 2 of McAuley, McCarthy, Kisnorbo' as needed.

Left Back is up in the air for now I think - Nils hasn't really played back there much in these friendlies, has he? So it could be Sheehan yet...

The midfield four is anyone's guess, frankly. I'm sure Williams is up for one of the four places. Wesolowski is probably up for the second of the four when he's ready. That basically leaves the right and left sides undecided as yet. Right may be Maybury, might be Low, we'll see.

Strikers... you'd imagine it's a foregone conclusion - Fryatt and Hume - to continue the good work from last season into the next. O'Grady is definately staking a claim, but I don't think he's likely to grab a starting spot just yet. Hammond has also made a point, but again I don't think he'll replace either Hume/Fryatt yet.

As far as our strikers go, oddly enough, Hume/Fryatt and O'Grady/Hammond seem like a decent pair - but so far a combination of each hasn't really done much. Could be interesting to see what happens if say Fryatt was injured - we O'Grady take his place, or would Hammond and O'Grady replace both Hume and Fryatt at the same time? It's an interesting possibility on the back of recent form.

This is how I reckon Kelly's current 'preferred 11' looks:

Henderson

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, (undecided)

(undecided), Williams, Wesolowski, (undecided)

Fryatt, Hume

I'm inclined to think the RM position might be filled by Maybury afterall, leaving just the left side to be decided, really.

The reason we are no nearer is purely down to the fans - whether it be negativity or bias.

Just because you like a certain player it doesn't mean they should be in the squad - Rob Kelly picks our team, no one else.

And getting on players backs is really going to help their confidence. :thumbup:

We as fans, need to get behind the team regardless of what is going on.

At least we're unbeaten and the most of the goals have come from the forwards. Then again all these games are about is gaining fitness and getting players up to par for the seaon ahead. Also it is not worth paying too much attention to results as they mean nothing in the greater scheme of things has no points are being played for. RK knows that and he knows full well that he will lose his job if we're not challenging for promotion.

At least we're unbeaten and the most of the goals have come from the forwards. Then again all these games are about is gaining fitness and getting players up to par for the seaon ahead. Also it is not worth paying too much attention to results as they mean nothing in the greater scheme of things has no points are being played for. RK knows that and he knows full well that he will lose his job if we're not challenging for promotion.

He won't lose his job if we don't challenge for promotion.

He knows he might lose his job if we don't progress at all this year. Not entirely likely, though.

He knows he will definately lose his job if we are languishing around the bottom 3 at Christmas again.

Re Bertfox:

Okay. They're all great, they've been playing great, the manager's great and I cannot see anyone getting near us on the park all season. That was easy. Last one to leave the forum please switch the lights out... :whistle:

Have you ever wondered if it is people not being sufficiently critical that has contributed to Leicester City being half the club it once was? The fans have sometimes supported people who repaid them with two metaphoric fingers.

I don't actually like or dislike any of the players/coaches/directors and cannot ever remember booing a City player in 50 years but I've put quite a chunk of money in the club's direction over that time and I care about the sort of team we turn out as a consequence, and the sort of football we play.

Because I read a particular newspaper or vote for a particular politician or marry a particular woman does that mean I have to agree with everything they say and do. And it doesn't mean I change allegiance just because they do something I don't like.

Guest Gist

I have not been to a Pre-Season match yet but from most people's views on this site who have been we seem to be doing well apart from yesterday's first half display but atleast we turned it around in the end.

I will judge on Friday when I go down and see.

:thumbup:

I have not been to a Pre-Season match yet but from most people's views on this site who have been we seem to be doing well apart from yesterday's first half display but atleast we turned it around in the end.

I will judge on Friday when I go down and see.

anyone have any idea what the attendance will be on friday?

Re Bertfox:

Okay. They're all great, they've been playing great, the manager's great and I cannot see anyone getting near us on the park all season. That was easy. Last one to leave the forum please switch the lights out... :whistle:

Have you ever wondered if it is people not being sufficiently critical that has contributed to Leicester City being half the club it once was? The fans have sometimes supported people who repaid them with two metaphoric fingers.

I don't actually like or dislike any of the players/coaches/directors and cannot ever remember booing a City player in 50 years but I've put quite a chunk of money in the club's direction over that time and I care about the sort of team we turn out as a consequence, and the sort of football we play.

Because I read a particular newspaper or vote for a particular politician or marry a particular woman does that mean I have to agree with everything they say and do. And it doesn't mean I change allegiance just because they do something I don't like.

I'm not saying we should be saying this stuff, just that the team needs to be supported and not slagged.

Also, you may or may not like ceratin players, but moaning about selection and tactics is something for Rob Kelly to sort out, that's why he is manager.

And your last paragraph = absoloute tosh.

I wouldn't read too much in to pre-season friendlies. Of course the results have been positive in general, but it isn't essentially an important factor in terms of how the season will pan out.

As many people have said, match fitness for the players is the key objective, along with trying to put in to place the tactics that will be utilised for the season ahead.

I would say that the majority of the line up from last season will be retained. Apart from Johnson, the players Kelly has drafted seem to be squad fillers to provide us with additional depth.

The back 4 will remain the same from last season - continuity is key in that area. How many times did that chop and change under Levein?

The midfield 4 is the only real issue in my opinion. I feel that with everyone at our disposal, Kelly would opt for Johnson and Wesolowski in the centre, with Maybury and Tiatto on the flanks. Opposing teams wouldn't like playing against that, but it's not exactly inspiring, is it?

Maybe Williams or Hughes would be in there somewhere to provide some creativity, and maybe Josh Low will provide the width that is perhaps needed. But I've not seen Low play, so it's difficult to see whether he can offer us anyting at this level.

Fryatt and Hume is a foregone conclusion - however, if we plan to play the midfield 4 as suggested, those 2 will have the extra burden placed upon them to score goals.

Re Bertfox:

The team is supported, well supported and, in my experience, people will react according to

the way things have gone on.

If someone like Douglas drops a brick then people will criticise him and when he has a blinder they'll sing his praises. It's always been that way since I've been a fan and I can't imagine it changing.

Douglas, or any other player, won't need telling that.

Re Bertfox:

The team is supported, well supported and, in my experience, people will react according to

the way things have gone on.

If someone like Douglas drops a brick then people will criticise him and when he has a blinder they'll sing his praises. It's always been that way since I've been a fan and I can't imagine it changing.

Douglas, or any other player, won't need telling that.

Why don't you just quote people!! :P

Yes, i hear/read what your saying, but, getting on players backs all the time isn't going to help - people criticise more then they should imo.

What's Douglas doing with a brick on the pitch anyway?? :P

Re Bertfox:

I really don't think Leicester fans need to be more critical in any way! lol

Personally I think it's like this at the minute:

Undecided (Henderson edging it though, think it's more a question of whether he'll be fit.)

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo (McCauly first game), undecided

undecided, Williams, Johnson, undecided

Fryatt, Hume

So I make it 7 players who have probably got their starting spots. I don't really understand why you think Hughes is guaranteed of his place. I could be wrong, but it's seemed to me that Williams has had much more match time during the friendlies, and it's mainly been him and AJ. Could just be that Hughes has done nothing though so not been mentioned thus me forgetting he's been playing ;)

I think Hughes is actually going to be 4th choice for the central midfield spot. Weso might take Williams place in the starting lineup if he's fit I think, before Hughes does... Although, I don't think that should happen. I'll admit to not having seen Weso play, but despite how good people say he is, he's more of a defensive midfield. That means we could have a midfield of Maybury, Johnson, Weso, Tiatto. 2 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders! Williams and Hughes may not offer a lot going forward most of the time, but I think I'd still rather have one of them in there rather than 4 defensive midfield players.

For the undecided positions, this is how I think it currently stands, but is more flexible than the others..

GK: As I say, probably will be Henderson if he's fit, most certain of the undecideds. Douglas follows him, Logan 3rd choice.

LB: Nils, Sheehan

RM: I think Maybury is slightly edging it at the minute, probably mainly due to his link up with Stearman. Low 2nd to him, although I think we should start with J Low.

LM: Pretty sure Tiatto will play to start with at least, he seems to have been there in every friendly for most of the time. Hard to work out who's second to him though... Right now I'd say Porter, Hughes 3rd. Maybe the other way with those 2 though.

So yeah, I think against Luton it will be:

Henderson (if fit)

Stearman, McCarthy, McCauley, Nils

Maybury, Johnson, Williams, Tiatto

Fryatt, Hume

I'd prefer Low to Maybury, Porter to Tiatto and Weso to Williams though.

Oh and the vital COG that is Chris O'Grady is in front of Elvis to get a place I think...

I really don't think Leicester fans need to be more critical in any way! lol

Personally I think it's like this at the minute:

Undecided (Henderson edging it though, think it's more a question of whether he'll be fit.)

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo (McCauly first game), undecided

undecided, Williams, Johnson, undecided

Fryatt, Hume

So I make it 7 players who have probably got their starting spots. I don't really understand why you think Hughes is guaranteed of his place. I could be wrong, but it's seemed to me that Williams has had much more match time during the friendlies, and it's mainly been him and AJ. Could just be that Hughes has done nothing though so not been mentioned thus me forgetting he's been playing ;)

I think Hughes is actually going to be 4th choice for the central midfield spot. Weso might take Williams place in the starting lineup if he's fit I think, before Hughes does... Although, I don't think that should happen. I'll admit to not having seen Weso play, but despite how good people say he is, he's more of a defensive midfield. That means we could have a midfield of Maybury, Johnson, Weso, Tiatto. 2 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders! Williams and Hughes may not offer a lot going forward most of the time, but I think I'd still rather have one of them in there rather than 4 defensive midfield players.

For the undecided positions, this is how I think it currently stands, but is more flexible than the others..

GK: As I say, probably will be Henderson if he's fit, most certain of the undecideds. Douglas follows him, Logan 3rd choice.

LB: Nils, Sheehan

RM: I think Maybury is slightly edging it at the minute, probably mainly due to his link up with Stearman. Low 2nd to him, although I think we should start with J Low.

LM: Pretty sure Tiatto will play to start with at least, he seems to have been there in every friendly for most of the time. Hard to work out who's second to him though... Right now I'd say Porter, Hughes 3rd. Maybe the other way with those 2 though.

So yeah, I think against Luton it will be:

Henderson (if fit)

Stearman, McCarthy, McCauley, Nils

Maybury, Johnson, Williams, Tiatto

Fryatt, Hume

I'd prefer Low to Maybury, Porter to Tiatto and Weso to Williams though.

Oh and the vital COG that is Chris O'Grady is in front of Elvis to get a place I think...

If you think Kelly will play Williams centremid at Luton then there is obviously too much crack cocaine poluting the punters minds of Leicester. If you saw him at Lincoln, when he was given his chance to impress. he was abysmal. That's why Kelly took him off. With that white wrist band he looked more up to tennis. And surprisingly that's how he played.

First thing, 2 years ago when adams was here didn't we win every friendly with flying colours? and we were poor when it came to it.

I don't think you can really judge the team on that, though granted i haven't seen them yet, i will on friday.

Having said that i still think that they need a new keeper that is worth 10 points, is the prob that Rab is on alot of money? and thats why we can't get rid of him?

Personally i think Williams will have a good season, bout time he produced and his contract is up at the end and that usually give players a kick up the arse! i.e joey gudjonsson who was poor the season before, 2nd touch was mostly a tackle. (if it wasn't a shot last season it still would be a tackle)

One things for sure, this team hasn't got any weaker other than losing Joey Gudjonsson, but after much deliberation his so called goals we are going to lose isn't that many over the course of the season. Matty Fryatt was one of if not the best penalty taker in League One and he'll step forward to take our penalties next season, so Joey's 5 or 6 penalties he got last season should hopefully be converted by Fryatt should we get that many again. Therefore that reduces Gudjonsson's goals down to about 4 and if Johnson, Williams, Hughes and Wesolowski don't get 10 between them next season then we have real problems.

So going on that basis, we've neither strengthened or weakened our team, just added some squad players that over the course of the season will be needed. Kenton, I believe is a very good player even if we possibly don't need him. I've not seen much of McCauley or Low, so I can't comment too much but I think they'll be called upon when needed and if they aren't good enough then they'll be used sparingly.

I do feel that we could have done better in the transfer market this summer, I know we have no money but instead of going for squad fillers I think we should have focused on strengthening our team in the positions that we aren't confident in. Perhaps i'll be proved wrong because Kelly got this same bunch of players to show play-off form for the last 4 months of the season. My only fear is it's a new season, with stronger opposition and i'd be very surprised if we could sustain that sort of form over the whole season with the squad we've got.

Kelly will get the players to always give their all, but attractive football won't be on the agenda I don't think. I'm still very much looking forward to the new season and seeing us give everything for the cause.

I'm being realistic this season, i'm looking for an improvement but play-offs is a mere pipe dream for me.

ok the results in these freindlies havent been shockingly good, but we remain unbeaten! and we have scored alot of goals from crosses!! (something CL just did not seem to know how to train) we have used set peices well, and scored from some corner!!(If we get the same amount of corners we did last year and use them were on a winner) and young guns are beggining to show they worth, o' grady looking good, porter looking like he has alot of potential, sheehan looking well prepared, and players like hammond are coming on form, i will probs regret saying this lol. but i really beleive this year we have the right manager, and the squad to do well, ok hume, and fryatt arent exactly clinton morrison or Jamie Doyle. but they have the potential to be and i think RK is the guy to raise them. Comon CITY is all i can say, and please god give us some look this year!!! so when the opposition score a goal thats offside olease let the linesman see it!! :P:D

ok the results in these freindlies havent been shockingly good, but we remain unbeaten! and we have scored alot of goals from crosses!! (something CL just did not seem to know how to train) we have used set peices well, and scored from some corner!!(If we get the same amount of corners we did last year and use them were on a winner) and young guns are beggining to show they worth, o' grady looking good, porter looking like he has alot of potential, sheehan looking well prepared, and players like hammond are coming on form, i will probs regret saying this lol. but i really beleive this year we have the right manager, and the squad to do well, ok hume, and fryatt arent exactly clinton morrison or Jamie Doyle. but they have the potential to be and i think RK is the guy to raise them. Comon CITY is all i can say, and please god give us some look this year!!! so when the opposition score a goal thats offside olease let the linesman see it!! :P:D

thank god!!!

thank god!!!

More to the point, who the hell is Jamie Doyle? To be fair, I guess he means Kevin.

By the way - Lookwhaticando seems to have completely forgotten Darren Kenton exists.

My two penneth - You don't learn anything from pre-season friendlies. Once the season starts then we'll start to gain a rough idea of whether we've advanced or not.

To be honest Thracian for someone who posts a lot about goals scored, attacking play etc, and seems to want to read something into our pre-season campaign, you should be a bit more upbeat considering we've banged goals in left right and centre and are undefeated.

As I've stated before, I think pre-season is just a fitness thing. People read into it what they want. Fryatt and Hume haven't exactly pulled up any trees in pre-season but everyone jacked off about them so much last season that this doesn't seem to matter?? They are just expected to pick up where they left off last season, whereas people are already writing off players like Low based on a couple of pre-season games. It's all lunacy but I guess you have to talk about something until the Luton game.

More to the point, who the hell is Jamie Doyle? To be fair, I guess he means Kevin.

By the way - Lookwhaticando seems to have completely forgotten Darren Kenton exists.

My two penneth - You don't learn anything from pre-season friendlies. Once the season starts then we'll start to gain a rough idea of whether we've advanced or not.

To be honest Thracian for someone who posts a lot about goals scored, attacking play etc, and seems to want to read something into our pre-season campaign, you should be a bit more upbeat considering we've banged goals in left right and centre and are undefeated.

As I've stated before, I think pre-season is just a fitness thing. People read into it what they want. Fryatt and Hume haven't exactly pulled up any trees in pre-season but everyone jacked off about them so much last season that this doesn't seem to matter?? They are just expected to pick up where they left off last season, whereas people are already writing off players like Low based on a couple of pre-season games. It's all lunacy but I guess you have to talk about something until the Luton game.

Josh Low is being judged on the fact he's been at loads of League one, two and conference sides, never set the world on fire, and then all of a sudden he is a championship player. Well thats my opinion any way.

You cant blame people for being wary of him.

Josh Low is being judged on the fact he's been at loads of League one, two and conference sides, never set the world on fire, and then all of a sudden he is a championship player. Well thats my opinion any way.

You cant blame people for being wary of him.

I'm more wary of him than anyone but then I've actually seen him play a hell of a lot over the past two seasons. I think there's a difference though between being wary of him and writing him off before he's pulled on a Leicester shirt in a competitive fixture. I hope he fulfils his huge potential.

No, they are even better than them. Well atleast as good as them.

Archived