Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Hinckley Thread

Thracian.....if the Hinckley players had the ability of the professionals at other clubs that we have played then surely they too would be pros rather than plying their trade in the Conference North on a Saturday and Wednesday night and cleaning windows during the week.

There is a great difference between that level and the professional. Scouts scour those divisions and find a few decent players each season such as a DJ Campbell but the rest could never make it for a whole host of different reasons.

And also there not all Kenny Deuchers playing for Gretna cos they love football but knowing deep down they make more from being a doctor

Just for example take Chris O'Grady 12-18 months ago.

Just another hopeful and not especially impressive young Academy player. Suddenly he goes to Rushden and emerges a transformed individual, full of exceptional determination and a far better player than many ever imagined him to be.

Many part-time pro's have never had the chance to be full-time for a whole host of reasons, not least though certainly not always, because, in words typical of Rob Kelly, they weren't considered to be the right sorts, whatever that means.

Well I remember a whole group of non-League "wrong sorts" I'd have backed any day to make it in full-time football and who weren't such hard sorts to handle at all when you got to know them.

As in life, some people get the aces, some people get the two's. It doesn't mean all the two's are shit.

And Hinckley weren't shit. They got tired and, because of that, were outplayed towards the end. That's all.

Had Hinckley trained full time for a month and Leicester trained part time, it might well have been a different story judging by the early exchanges.

Just for example take Chris O'Grady 12-18 months ago.

Just another hopeful and not especially impressive young Academy player. Suddenly he goes to Rushden and emerges a transformed individual, full of exceptional determination and a far better player than many ever imagined him to be.

Many part-time pro's have never had the chance to be full-time for a whole host of reasons, not least though certainly not always, because, in words typical of Rob Kelly, they weren't considered to be the right sorts, whatever that means.

Well I remember a whole group of non-League "wrong sorts" I'd have backed any day to make it in full-time football and who weren't such hard sorts to handle at all when you got to know them.

As in life, some people get the aces, some people get the two's. It doesn't mean all the two's are shit.

And Hinckley weren't shit. They got tired and, because of that, were outplayed towards the end. That's all.

Had Hinckley trained full time for a month and Leicester trained part time, it might well have been a different story judging by the early exchanges.

I feel sorry for all the hard done by never had a chance nice lads at Hinckley

no point explaining it again, but i completely agree with thracian.

So you can't offer an alternative?

Just as I thought - don't be scared to take those tinted goggles off it doesn't make you dirty or disloyal :thumbup:

It was a very long season. Once the primary objective of survival had been achieved, the focus of the team inevitably suffered, especially with so many young players in the side, and others, like Joey, who knew they were off to pastures new. It's not surprising that form dipped.

But anyone who comes on here and tries to argue, with a perfectly straight face, that we are a lesser club than Southend (Southend! :o ) does not deserve to be take seriously.

I never said they were a bigger Club (at least I don't think I did!!!), I said I thought they could come to us and get 3 points, world of difference, eh?

I was scoffed at by those too ignorant to accept that a Club like Southend is on the up and up while we are going in reverse. Hopefully I will be wrong but I won't hold my breath.

Tom Tejan-Sie looked like a toy soldier in a grown-ups army when he first arrived and had changed so much I didn't recognise him at first. Well add another one to the growing list of kids that are gonna come through from the City Academy. What a gem.

Has he grown yet? That's why Arsenal let him go because of his size, footballing ability he is very good but if he doesn't grow then he'll find it tough to break through. Weso has done because he's got a presence and power behind him, Porter has had to transform his game and is slowly getting there but others fall by the waist side.

Has he grown yet? That's why Arsenal let him go because of his size, footballing ability he is very good but if he doesn't grow then he'll find it tough to break through. Weso has done because he's got a presence and power behind him, Porter has had to transform his game and is slowly getting there but others fall by the waist side.

:blink:

Tom looks bigger and stronger than last season and seems to have developed a presence as his confidence has grown and he'd got to know his team-mates and the way they play. Most encouraging was his really vocal and determined calling for the ball. He didn't just want it he demanded it. One to watch, definitely.

Porter has really honed his game. He's taken out so much of what he couldn't really do like trying to dribble past players when he doesn't have the raw pace to get away with it. Instead he manouvres the ball, he gets his head up early and, as someone mentioned in another context, he sees the pictures. His engine has never been in question and he has also become a great support player in all parts of the pitch...Mr Available.

One little thing to work on is his shooting technique. Like Hume (another small player) he tends to drag them through hitting his shots with too fast an action to try and generate more power.

He might try punching the ball and concentrating on timing, balance and easy follow through, rather like golf. But at least he's getting shots in.

Three of those 5 goals were a master class in the Charles Hughes route-one style of football. The other 2 weren't even Sunday league.

Splendid :thumbup:

Is there a point to that comment Barton Fox? Are you somehow suggesting we don't bother converting easy chances or that they somehow count less than a Joey Gudjonsson special?

Why is a 5-0 win over Hinckley by a young side seemingly so much less commendable than a torrid 0-0 draw with RS or by all accounts fairly indifferent wins and a draw over Boston, Macclesfield and Lincoln respectively by the so-called seniors or a mixture.

Mike Stowell's side worked tirelessly to pass Hinckley to exhaustion and finally play them off the park. That is something I have rarely seen in recent months and the excitement of watching positive football was something to thoroughly enjoy.

I must have been asleep cos Blanderson apparently mentioned Ashley Chambers coming on as sub against Hinckley (instead of Tom Tejan-Sie) but I don't remember it. Can anyone confirm?

Only Max Gradel and Eric Odhiambo came on I think. Chambers wasn't even on the bench. Lycett, Wesolowski and Beswick were not used.

Is there a point to that comment Barton Fox? Are you somehow suggesting we don't bother converting easy chances or that they somehow count less than a Joey Gudjonsson special?

Why is a 5-0 win over Hinckley by a young side seemingly so much less commendable than a torrid 0-0 draw with RS or by all accounts fairly indifferent wins and a draw over Boston, Macclesfield and Lincoln respectively by the so-called seniors or a mixture.

Mike Stowell's side worked tirelessly to pass Hinckley to exhaustion and finally play them off the park. That is something I have rarely seen in recent months and the excitement of watching positive football was something to thoroughly enjoy.

Because Hinckley don't bear comparison to a well drilled La Liga side. :whistle:

Only Max Gradel and Eric Odhiambo came on I think. Chambers wasn't even on the bench. Lycett, Wesolowski and Beswick were not used.

Glad you said that cos it's exactly what I thought happened and what I told the guy who pointed it out and who was equally bemused. :thumbup::thumbup:

If you fell out a boat you still wouldn't hit water. :rolleyes:

Archived