Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Hinckley Thread

Were you there then, I think the big difference was the style of play, the approach and the attitude of the players which bears absolutely no resemblence to the first team which is turgid, defensive and like watching 11 eleven cats caught in the car head lamps or to put it in football terms they lack confidence in their own ability to actually go out and win a game.

You can only beat what's put in front of you and judge the outcome on that basis.

no i wasnt there but i was talking to my next door neighbour and he was very impressed. i also agree that the first team are very turgid, boring to watch and play negative football. however i feel that if they were playing against Hinckley today they would have gone forward more because they know they are the better team, also because they feel comfortable that if they did concede first they could come back from that, but in the league i dont think they have that confidence.

dont get me wrong i am very excited about the young players coming through, we have never seen so many talented youngsters before. :thumbup:

Rather over the top there Thracian however, O'Grady WAS an out and out nuisance, Dodds looked confident, Magunda had a good game, Momo did have a "combative" performance and was given a good round of applause when subbed, Kisnorbo was very very solid as was Gerrbrand (but looks short of pace), and as a whole the youngsters did not look either phased or out of their depth.

Was slightly worried by Sheehan for most of the first half who seemed extremely petulant and got himself involved in some daft challenges and situations but improved in the second half.

Let's hope the future is bright and is youth because we are going to need the youngster's to come through for us - a 5 - 0 will do no harm at all.

P.S Weso was there and looked fine. Nissa turned up to watch on his own steam. Gradel looks like a good prospect.

I remember having schoolteachers like you. On every report they wrote "could do better". :)

Well pour a little cooling water by all means, you'll probably be proved right about the need to air caution but it just isn't me.

I don't really want to feel "so so" about football. I want to be thrilled and upnlifted by it. And, right or wrong that is exactly how I felt today cos I seem to have waited so long for City to show some real class.

I know they weren't playing Manchester United or Chelsea. I know they were playing Hinckley. But they didn't show that class against Macclesfield, or Boston or Lincoln, or Barwell or Coalville or more than once throughout the whole of last season.

I might well be grasping at straws but only because today's straws were the sort I want to be grasping more often cos today I was proud of our team and proud of its players.

no i wasnt there but i was talking to my next door neighbour and he was very impressed. i also agree that the first team are very turgid, boring to watch and play negative football. however i feel that if they were playing against Hinckley today they would have gone forward more because they know they are the better team, also because they feel comfortable that if they did concede first they could come back from that, but in the league i dont think they have that confidence.

dont get me wrong i am very excited about the young players coming through, we have never seen so many talented youngsters before. :thumbup:

Why have we got a first team that plays very turgid, boring to watch negative football, I believe they have the ability to beat a fair number of teams in this league but they wont if the carry on in the current style.

We are a club that is desparate to put bums on seats to get some revenue in to improve the team, based on last seasons performances, yes even after RK took over that is just not going to happen, sure people want to see a winning team and I understand how loathe they are to be critical when we were even more desperate for wins, but there comes a time when winning will only please those that are deeply entrenched in supporting LCFC, about 15 to 18k at a guess it just wont attract anyone else, this club will die if it doesn't get more people in to watch games; we will be on a slippery downward spiral if we aren't already.

The writing is on the wall the crowds do not seem to be going up, those that are attending feel they are being over charged. The chairman has already indicated where he's headed by his statement that his ticket is cheaper than it was 3 years ago, forgetting of course that we were in the premier, prices WILL go up crowds WILL go down unless we start winning and entertaining.

The future is certainly not rosey, today was the first game I've really enjoyed for about 2 seasons and not just because we scored 5 goals.

I remember having schoolteachers like you. On every report they wrote "could do better". :)

Well pour a little cooling water by all means, you'll probably be proved right about the need to air caution but it just isn't me.

I don't really want to feel "so so" about football. I want to be thrilled and upnlifted by it. And, right or wrong that is exactly how I felt today cos I seem to have waited so long for City to show some real class.

I know they weren't playing Manchester United or Chelsea. I know they were playing Hinckley. But they didn't show that class against Macclesfield, or Boston or Lincoln, or Barwell or Coalville or more than once throughout the whole of last season.

I might well be grasping at straws but only because today's straws were the sort I want to be grasping more often cos today I was proud of our team and proud of its players.

I only wish I was a schoolteacher at this time of year - six weeks off :D

Please don't think that I was p*ssing on your chips Thracian.

I have supported LCFC for 40 years ( I was 4 when my dad took me to Filbo) and NOTHING gives me more pleasure than seeing us play well, as we did today. I'm just wary of going over the top about youth players who may or may not "make it". If some of the academy players come through and perform for the club I for one will be there cheering them on, as I'm sure you will be. Please carry on with the optimism and be assured that I am not "so so" about watching and following the mighty foxes.

Established seniors have already played friendlies against lower teams this close season but have never "gone forward" or shone like the team against Hinckley today and with good reason - they can't.

First were the team instructions. At Hinckley the team clearly had licence to attack. They were just as clearly expected to graft but once the ball had been won the only thoughts were to go forward.

Even given that licence, I've seen very little evidence that the team which played Real Sociedad could possibly attack like the team against Hinckley because they simply don't have the back up players.

There really were seven forwards lots of the time at Hinckley (when do you ever see City's regular first team with seven forward except at free kicks?).

Furthermore all those Hinckley match players backing the strikers were natural attackers, people like Porter, Sheehan, Dodds (when dropping back), Gradel, Tejan-Sie and even Sylla (central midfield).

Another thing missing with the "regular" firsts is genuinely intelligent and constant moving off the ball and back up players who are so used to such movement that they spot it and then have the ability to find the moving player accurately. The understanding, particularly between Dodds, Porter, O'Grady and Sheehan is collectively exceptional.

Sheehan did have a patchy start at Hinckley but even then I lost count of the times he found O'Grady with a long cross-field pass or Porter found both Dodds and O'Grady with a clever 20 yard through ball. No-one else plays such passes regularly at City. No full-back passes with Sheehan's effectiveness and constancy in trying to assist his forwards.

No-one attacks with Gradel's skill and constant threat from the right flank or retains possession away from goal like O'Grady.

And did all this focus on attack result in an exposed defence?. Once maybe when the impressive Logan spotted a misjudged offside attempt. But Hinckley mustered only one threatening strike on goal - a header from a set piece, and a couple of dangerous moments from hard-hit free-kicks into the box that I can easily recall. Most of the time they didn't have the ball so they could hardly start attacking.

Mavellous way of defending that - not giving the opposition much chance to have the ball. But only posssible if all your players can pass and move, like today's.

Half of them will be playing for Mansfield reserves in two years time.

Going with O'Grady, Wesolowski, Sheehan, Porter, Tejan-Sie, Dodds, Logan and Gradel as making eight I'd have a small wager (say a pint of my favourite Belgian honeyed beer) that at least six make established Football League players by this time two years hence. And I'd happily back all eight, barring injury etc. but that would be reckless and I'm trying to change. :):)

It doesn't matter how many words you use. It's still only Hinckley. If we can use kids and attack all game and not get murdered in the Championship then fine. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Exactly.

I mean if Sylla can supposedly dictate play from the centre of midfield, then that speaks volumes of the opposition.

They're a bit shit.

Exactly.

I mean if Sylla can supposedly dictate play from the centre of midfield, then that speaks volumes of the opposition.

They're a bit shit.

Sylla didn't dictate play. Porter did that, much assisted by O'Grady.

Sylla just had a much more involved game than usual in midfield as opposed to the wing.

He was applauded when finally substituted in appreciation of the obvious effort he made and for a perfectly acceptable contribution.

But his suspect shooting meant he blasted a brilliant chance high, his passing remained indifferent and he ran out of steam.

Match rating for Sylla was about 6 compared to:

Logan 7

Magunda 6

Gerrbrand 7

Kisnorbo 8

Sheehan 7

Porter 9,

Tejan-Sie 7.5,

Low 6 (for his goal)

O'Grady 9.5

Dodds 9.5.

Gradel (sub) 7

No other notables.

And meanwhile which game did Tiatto, Hughes or Maybury last dictate from midfield - include recent friendlies by all means, the whole of last season, Belvoir Drive/Loughborough Univeristy small side games if you really want!

Mike Stowell for manager :whistle::whistle::thumbup::thumbup::):):):)

Only joking but apparently he picked the team.

Watching City at Hinckley today was like watching an accomplished orchestra.

They took a while to tune their instruments, gradually got themselves in tune with one another and finally delivered a virtuoso performance under the guidance of that ever more accomplished and celebrated conductor Levi Porter.

Porter has emerged these last months with some fine displays but rarely have I seen such a compelling example of box to box accomplishment.

Time and again he made difficult situations easy, unpromising attacks lethal.

And not just for five minutes here and there but for a 90 minutes that saw him as enthusastically involved at the end as in the first few minutes.

On occasions he would be on City's goalline surrounded by opponents but finding time to lift his head off the ball and turn defensive relief into an artform with Sheehan, Kisnorbo and friends.

Next he would be offering the outlet ball for beseiged Chris O'Grady or the cultured Louis Dodds and finally he'd be threading the deftest of final passes through for his strikers to score.

And what strikers. O'Grady was Hinckley's worst nightmare, accepting all the close attention they could give him before so dominating that the home side were forced to stand of him, and let him dictate. He did that to the tune of two goals and plenty of assistance to help earn Dodds's a brace too.

Dodds may have started quietly but we counted off the gilt-edged chances I promised some watching friends that he would shortly create and both his goals were well anticipated because regular reserves fans know he so rarely misses once the goal's gaping and today was no exception.

Those two more goals added to his seemingly endless stream and further confirmed Kelly's view that he's City's most natural striker.

Tom Tejan-Sie, last season's little master of perpetual motion, always had a big heart but today, as a young man of far greater presence than last season, showed he also had the mouth to constantly demand the ball in midfield. A new name to remember.

Sheehan overcame an indifferent start to provide constant support for City's attacks to the point where there was an almost constant presence or seven or even eight blue shirts within 40 yards of Hinckley's goal. By the end City's barrage must have left Hinckley feeling like a boxer desperate for the bout to be stopped to save him further punishment.

What a treat it was to watch. Full marks City and full marks Mike Stowell for presenting a side which overcame always spirited opposition but gradually effected a full frontal assault of almost military proportions with blue shirts dominating every strategic vantage point.

If anyone has any doubts about the brightness of Leicester City's future they should have watched today's game.

Even Sylla had a good un - in midfield!!! - and was rightly applauded off the park.

How many Man of the Match nominees can there be cos there was Levi "Napoleon" Porter, Chris "The Biz" 'Grady, Louis "deadshot" Dodds for a start?

But what's it matter anyway. Cracking match, lovely atmosphere and the news that proper football is alive and well at Leicester City, even if the club are inclined to keep it hidden away.

Phube asked if the City team was close to my dream team.

I can say this. That game was played in the spirit of the great City teams of yesteryear with no thought of doing anything but winning the ball as quickly as possibly and then setting out to attack the opposition.

Did anyone there see any unforced hoof ball? We passed the ball in defence, in midfield and in attack and not just aimlessly but always with a purpose.

We fielded an abundance of different and complimentary talents and we weren't afraid to use them from beginning to end, finishing with an efforvescent demonstration of positive wingplay from Max Gradel. The team spirit and understanding would have graced a demonstration video.

Why would anyone not be proud of that sort of team playing that sort of football?

So what you are saying is we would do well in the Conference North and Chris O'Grady has found his level?

Splendid :thumbup:

Mike Stowell for manager :whistle::whistle::thumbup::thumbup::):):):)

Only joking but apparently he picked the team.

Watching City at Hinckley today was like watching an accomplished orchestra. :blink:

They took a while to tune their instruments, gradually got themselves in tune with one another and finally delivered a virtuoso performance under the guidance of that ever more accomplished and celebrated conductor Levi Porter.......

.......How many Man of the Match nominees can there be cos there was Levi "Napoleon" Porter, Chris "The Biz" 'Grady, Louis "deadshot" Dodds for a start?

But what's it matter anyway. Cracking match, lovely atmosphere and the news that proper football is alive and well at Leicester City, even if the club are inclined to keep it hidden away.

Phube asked if the City team was close to my dream team.

I can say this. That game was played in the spirit of the great City teams of yesteryear with no thought of doing anything but winning the ball as quickly as possibly and then setting out to attack the opposition.

Did anyone there see any unforced hoof ball? We passed the ball in defence, in midfield and in attack and not just aimlessly but always with a purpose.

We fielded an abundance of different and complimentary talents and we weren't afraid to use them from beginning to end, finishing with an efforvescent demonstration of positive wingplay from Max Gradel. The team spirit and understanding would have graced a demonstration video.

Why would anyone not be proud of that sort of team playing that sort of football?

Two, arguably three goals were down to hinckey cock-ups, not our unrivalled creativy :whistle:

And all goals invloved some sort of long ball, in fact, except for Dodds' second they were all 50-60 yards or longer. And our last goal was a complete hoof, luckily their player played a decent ball for O'Grady

TBH, I think you were slighlty over excited when you wrote that. :ph34r::P:whistle:

Two, arguably three goals were down to hinckey cock-ups, not our unrivalled creativy :whistle:

And all goals invloved some sort of long ball, in fact, except for Dodds' second they were all 50-60 yards or longer. And our last goal was a complete hoof, luckily their player played a decent ball for O'Grady

TBH, I think you were slighlty over excited when you wrote that. :ph34r::P:whistle:

There may be something in the idea that the game served as an antidote to the Real Sociedad match. :thumbup::thumbup:

But there was lots to commend in the display both individually and collectively.

PS: there is a difference between an accurate long ball and an aimless, panic stricken hack.

Goals are invariably down to cock-ups from the defender's point of view but City sometimes played their part in forcing those cock-ups

Well, now we've beat the might of Hinckley with our accomplished orchestra, bring on the likes of Leeds and Birmingham. There's no way they'll provide any sterner opposition than we saw today.

The game was played in the spirit of great city teams of yesteryear was it? Just my luck to miss out.

Based upon the report I got back against your musical analogy Thrach I suspect you spent most of the game polishing your horn and reminiscing instead of seeing it for what it truly was.

Well I really honestly do not know where to start.... I really don’t. If I lose it during this post I sincerely apologisel. Yes I am drunk.

I actually sat down today and I spoke to my Mum about Leicester City, I was genuinely interested about her views on Wortho the play boy, Alan "Sniffer" Clark Dave Gibson, Len Glover etc. Cutting a long and very interesting story short, She hated all of them, Turns out the only player she liked which everyone on here would of herd of was Keith Weller.

Now this made me wonder about whether or not I have some sort of genetic disorder, Do I hate attacking football? pff of course I don't, believe it or not my fondest memory of football is the 4-3 loss to Swindon Town in the play off final, a game that pretty much had everything. The game that turned me from a kid saying I supported Leicester City into a kid that wanted a season ticket more then anything in the world, even more then a Sega Mega Drive with Streets of Rage ( and that was a fooking good game ) The game that led me to be here today, typing away about a team who cant break the top 15 in division one.

To the matter in hand. I watch the odd reserve game, I don’t watch any Youth team games, and I watch a lot of first team games, not just Leicester but plenty others around the country. I don’t find it hard to tell the difference between a poor premier league team and a average championship side, I don’t find it hard to tell the difference between a average league one team and a good league two team. So why are certain people on here finding it so difficult to tell the difference between a La Liga side and a Conference North side. I'm stuck I really am, I love flowing football and goals but it all needs to be taken into context.

Fantastic LCFC put five past Hinckley, here is one for you, SO **** WHAT. It's not down to attitude that is bollocks, It's down to Hinckley being a poor side, and quite possible the inclusion of certain first team members.

Why why why why why is every single decent performance by a Leicester side rewarded with wonton praise, why can't people just accept that a few of our young decent players ( aided by a couple of first team players ) did away with a average Conference North side. A side not playing 4-5-1, who aren’t extremely accomplished at shuting other teams out WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!

why can't I see it the same way others do? Is it because I hate attractive football? No IMO this is because I actually know a thing or two about the game compared to most, something I have learnt since joining this forum. Any one who thinks a side who beats Hinckley 5-0 is better then a side that draws 0-0 with a Real Sociedad side playing 4-5-1 needs their heads examining

on a final note

".......How many Man of the Match nominees can there be cos there was Levi "Napoleon" Porter, Chris "The Biz" 'Grady, Louis "deadshot" Dodds for a start?"

I totally take back my "cheap shot" comments RE your former employers. Evidently the cap fits perfectly.

believe it or not my fondest memory of football is the 4-3 loss to Swindon Town in the play off final, a game that pretty much had everything. The game that turned me from a kid saying I supported Leicester City into a kid that wanted a season ticket more then anything in the world, even more then a Sega Mega Drive with Streets of Rage ( and that was a fooking good game )

Despite the result - and the crushing consequences of that result - I still rate that match as the best game I have ever attended

Archived