Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Hinckley Thread

Well I really honestly do not know where to start.... I really don’t. If I lose it during this post I sincerely apologisel. Yes I am drunk.

I actually sat down today and I spoke to my Mum about Leicester City, I was genuinely interested about her views on Wortho the play boy, Alan "Sniffer" Clark Dave Gibson, Len Glover etc. Cutting a long and very interesting story short, She hated all of them, Turns out the only player she liked which everyone on here would of herd of was Keith Weller.

Now this made me wonder about whether or not I have some sort of genetic disorder, Do I hate attacking football? pff of course I don't, believe it or not my fondest memory of football is the 4-3 loss to Swindon Town in the play off final, a game that pretty much had everything. The game that turned me from a kid saying I supported Leicester City into a kid that wanted a season ticket more then anything in the world, even more then a Sega Mega Drive with Streets of Rage ( and that was a fooking good game ) The game that led me to be here today, typing away about a team who cant break the top 15 in division one.

To the matter in hand. I watch the odd reserve game, I don’t watch any Youth team games, and I watch a lot of first team games, not just Leicester but plenty others around the country. I don’t find it hard to tell the difference between a poor premier league team and a average championship side, I don’t find it hard to tell the difference between a average league one team and a good league two team. So why are certain people on here finding it so difficult to tell the difference between a La Liga side and a Conference North side. I'm stuck I really am, I love flowing football and goals but it all needs to be taken into context.

Fantastic LCFC put five past Hinckley, here is one for you, SO **** WHAT. It's not down to attitude that is bollocks, It's down to Hinckley being a poor side, and quite possible the inclusion of certain first team members.

Why why why why why is every single decent performance by a Leicester side rewarded with wonton praise, why can't people just accept that a few of our young decent players ( aided by a couple of first team players ) did away with a average Conference North side. A side not playing 4-5-1, who aren’t extremely accomplished at shuting other teams out WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!

why can't I see it the same way others do? Is it because I hate attractive football? No IMO this is because I actually know a thing or two about the game compared to most, something I have learnt since joining this forum. Any one who thinks a side who beats Hinckley 5-0 is better then a side that draws 0-0 with a Real Sociedad side playing 4-5-1 needs their heads examining

on a final note

".......How many Man of the Match nominees can there be cos there was Levi "Napoleon" Porter, Chris "The Biz" 'Grady, Louis "deadshot" Dodds for a start?"

I totally take back my "cheap shot" comments RE your former employers. Evidently the cap fits perfectly.

Print that post off, frame it and hang it on a wall where lots of people can see it.

Brilliant.

In fairness though in the context of a one off game and a friendly as well as the results that Sociedad have had against lesser oposition, the current difference between Hinckley and La Liga is not as big as it might be later in the season. ;):thumbup::whistle:

Print that post off, frame it and hang it on a wall where lots of people can see it.

Brilliant.

Ah, my old friend Jason Hullcox I suppose.

I take in and agree with all you say about the comparative standards. I also note City (with basically the same players) still cannot make any better headway against 4-5-1 than they did last season which points at the limitations of those players that I've already mentioned stacks of times. Why, cos the players aren't subtle enough and accurate enough to prise it apart.

But even if your point is so valid how come the maestros who are under so much pressure against Real Sociedad, still fail to shine against Boston, Macclesfield, Lincoln and any number of other rank bad sides?

I didn't say fail to win, I said fail to shine either individually or collectively.

Take Tiatto, Williams, Hughes, Maybury, Johansson and ask how many times last season any of those five gave an eyecatching man of the match performance and capped some genuinely effective individual contribution.

Hardly ever. Nils and Maybury were solid and reliable enough but that's all so what is it makes those five players' places in the team so sacrasanct or close to it?.

Had we played badly all season and finished in the top six I can understand a case being made.

But were we were forever in the bottom half of the table and even flirting seriously with relegation.

Certainly results improved under Kelly but we still didn't ever look like a good team and our final resting place was still way below expectations for a club of our standing,

Certainly results improved under Kelly but we still didn't ever look like a good team and our final resting place was still way below expectations for a club of our standing,

What is our standing?

We are skint, can't afford our own ground, have a micky mouse administration and we are signing rather poor quality players. I reckon we are a League One club at best and I am afraid that may well come to fruition by May.

We are that because we deserve to be and the apathy of the fans and those who think we will make the play offs ( :huh: ) and won't say a bad word are just as culpable as Davies et al for the plight.

We are the new Wimbledon, they had 2 seasons where they stuttered then relied on 'good homegrown kids' and a manager (who was a nice guy from within the Club) but they went down.

The only difference - Milton Keynes won't be there to 'save' the Club.

Well, now we've beat the might of Hinckley with our accomplished orchestra, bring on the likes of Leeds and Birmingham. There's no way they'll provide any sterner opposition than we saw today.

The game was played in the spirit of great city teams of yesteryear was it? Just my luck to miss out.

Based upon the report I got back against your musical analogy Thrach I suspect you spent most of the game polishing your horn and reminiscing instead of seeing it for what it truly was.

Well there were enough people around me who gather match every single Leicester City match and they seemed pretty pleased with the performance.

And in essence, what it "truly was" was a team trying to win a game from start to finish instead of being pre-constrained by imaginary fears and by tactics which helped mask or nullify their own glaring limitations.

However, it has been a valuable thread as I have now learned how MP inherited his footballing insight because if there was no appreciation in his family of Dave Gibson and Lenny Glover (England International Allen Clarke might have been a different story) then we are obviously never going to stand and admire the same sort of footballer.

What is really seems to boil down to is the essential philosophy of whether we win by strength and stamina or by skill and panache.

Skill as represented by Gibson Glover ...bad.

Strength as represented by Maybury and Tiatto, good.

Of course however bad Gibbo might have been in MP's mother's eyes, he IS generally regarded as the best or one of the best players in Ciy's history and he was peforming at the highest level that City ever reached in the top division which for a supposed arsehole must have been extraordinary fortuitous for him.

Nowadays he would never be selected ahead of the Chosen Men but those of us who did appreciate him quite enjoyed our regular wins over the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool et al and some of us see the skills of our young players as being the only way we will ever reach that level again.

But by all means carry on with the status quo. A little longer and the new era "don't-change-dour" merchants will have the whole show to themselves anyway.

Even this weekend strengthened their hand. Over 6,000 saw the Sociedad standoff, but only 800-odd watched the non-stop entertainment at Hinckley. And still the 6,000 seem to want more of the same cos no-one with a half-a-brain can expect to unlock a Spanish 4-5-1 at home. Except Doncaster, presumably. :whistle:

Well there were enough people around me who gather match every single Leicester City match and they seemed pretty pleased with the performance.

And in essence, what it "truly was" was a team trying to win a game from start to finish instead of being pre-constrained by imaginary fears and by tactics which helped mask or nullify their own glaring limitations.

However, it has been a valuable thread as I have now learned how MP inherited his footballing insight because if there was no appreciation in his family of Dave Gibson and Lenny Glover (England International Allen Clarke might have been a different story) then we are obviously never going to stand and admire the same sort of footballer.

What is really seems to boil down to is the essential philosophy of whether we win by strength and stamina or by skill and panache.

Skill as represented by Gibson Glover ...bad.

Strength as represented by Maybury and Tiatto, good.

Of course however bad Gibbo might have been in MP's mother's eyes, he IS generally regarded as the best or one of the best players in Ciy's history and he was peforming at the highest level that City ever reached in the top division which for a supposed arsehole must have been extraordinary fortuitous for him.

Nowadays he would never be selected ahead of the Chosen Men but those of us who did appreciate him quite enjoyed our regular wins over the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool et al and some of us see the skills of our young players as being the only way we will ever reach that level again.

But by all means carry on with the status quo. A little longer and the new era "don't-change-dour" merchants will have the whole show to themselves anyway.

Even this weekend strengthened their hand. Over 6,000 saw the Sociedad standoff, but only 800-odd watched the non-stop entertainment at Hinckley. And still the 6,000 seem to want more of the same cos no-one with a half-a-brain can expect to unlock a Spanish 4-5-1 at home. Except Doncaster, presumably. :whistle:

Turns out I got the Glover thing wrong :blush: . She used to like him because he used to live near her :D. Hate is a pretty strong word to use in RE to Dave Gibson as well. She did hate Wortho with a passion though and Alan Clark (I have no idea why I mentioned his name :D ).

They played a very poor side against Doncaster as I have already stated, it was basically second string.

Your totally skating round the point again aren't you. I’m not saying we "can't" expect to unlock a LA LIGA ( i.e not just Spanish, rather high quality Spanish ) side, I am stating that fact that if we don't it is not the end of the world and it doesn't mean we have nothing going forward. We looked a bit ordinary, so did they we drew 0-0 oh well. Are you honestly telling me if you were to stick the side that hammered Hinckley 5-0 against Real Sociedad playing 4-5-1 they would beat them, and vise versa the team that played Sociedad wouldn’t be able to put a few goals past Hinckley? pull the other one mate. I didn't see the game and I don’t need to in order to know they would of been acres of space to pass the ball around at the Marstons, and there was bugger all space on Friday.

Talking about this is all a waste of time any way. Give it a few weeks then you can start calling for Tiatto and Mayburys head all you want if their rubbish and you will have my blessing.

What is our standing?

We are skint, can't afford our own ground, have a micky mouse administration and we are signing rather poor quality players. I reckon we are a League One club at best and I am afraid that may well come to fruition by May.

We are that because we deserve to be and the apathy of the fans and those who think we will make the play offs ( :huh: ) and won't say a bad word are just as culpable as Davies et al for the plight.

We are the new Wimbledon, they had 2 seasons where they stuttered then relied on 'good homegrown kids' and a manager (who was a nice guy from within the Club) but they went down.

Absolute nonsense.

What is our standing?

Our standing:

a) We have an up-to-date ground and fairly substantial core support compared with some of our rivals.

b) We are the only club in what is a major City and there is arguably further crowd potential because of it.

c) We don't need millions of pounds (to waste on some of the nonentities who have worn our shirt these last years) when we have excellent an Academy that will feed players through for certainly the next two years.

d) We are a Championship Club because the fact says so. Whether we remain a Championship club depends on having courage and vision to move forward and not just on the field

e) We are not the new Wimbledon or anything like them. We've survived in the League for 100 years for a start and there's no reason, even with the present staff, that we should weaken our Championship position to the point of relegation although it is possible if we don't address our limitations pretty soon..

f) We don't even need to be skint. Our asset base has improved in the last 12 months and will probably improve still further in the next 12 months if the manager and directors use their intelligence.

What is our standing?

Are you Mick McCarthy under a new identity. People think we will make the play-offs because the simple fact is that our form last season under Kelly was statsically good enough to get us there.

Are you Mick McCarthy under a new identity. People think we will make the play-offs because the simple fact is that our form last season under Kelly was statsically good enough to get us there.

Last 6 games, which is taken as the universal guide to form, we took 7 points, we do that again we'll get roughly the same points as last season. Never mind the fact we were f'cking shot in those games either, but hey ho, play-offs here we come :rolleyes:

Last 6 games, which is taken as the universal guide to form, we took 7 points, we do that again we'll get roughly the same points as last season. Never mind the fact we were f'cking shot in those games either, but hey ho, play-offs here we come :rolleyes:

Point taken but really I can't see us struggling this season at all like you seem to think we will.

Turns out I got the Glover thing wrong :blush: . She used to like him because he used to live near her :D. Hate is a pretty strong word to use in RE to Dave Gibson as well. She did hate Wortho with a passion though and Alan Clark (I have no idea why I mentioned his name :D ).

Wortho and Clarke were gifted but VERY lazy players.

If Worthington had had the appetite for scoring on the pitch that he regularly displayed in the night clubs then it would have been us and not Derby who won multiple league titles in the 70s.

Clarke's attitude was no better. Brilliance in the 1969 cup run was matched with indifference during the league campaign which contributed hugely to the end of our longest-ever spell in top-flight football. It's not surprising that fans from that era don't remember him fondly.

It was a very long season. Once the primary objective of survival had been achieved, the focus of the team inevitably suffered, especially with so many young players in the side, and others, like Joey, who knew they were off to pastures new. It's not surprising that form dipped.

But anyone who comes on here and tries to argue, with a perfectly straight face, that we are a lesser club than Southend (Southend! :o ) does not deserve to be take seriously.

It was a very long season. Once the primary objective of survival had been achieved, the focus of the team inevitably suffered, especially with so many young players in the side, and others, like Joey, who knew they were off to pastures new. It's not surprising that form dipped.

But anyone who comes on here and tries to argue, with a perfectly straight face, that we are a lesser club than Southend (Southend! :o ) does not deserve to be take seriously.

agreed, we are one of few clubs that have never dropped outside the top two divisions

Now this made me wonder about whether or not I have some sort of genetic disorder, Do I hate attacking football? pff of course I don't, believe it or not my fondest memory of football is the 4-3 loss to Swindon Town in the play off final, a game that pretty much had everything. The game that turned me from a kid saying I supported Leicester City into a kid that wanted a season ticket more then anything in the world, even more then a Sega Mega Drive with Streets of Rage ( and that was a fooking good game ) The game that led me to be here today, typing away about a team who cant break the top 15 in division one.

To the matter in hand. I watch the odd reserve game, I don’t watch any Youth team games, and I watch a lot of first team games, not just Leicester but plenty others around the country. I don’t find it hard to tell the difference between a poor premier league team and a average championship side, I don’t find it hard to tell the difference between a average league one team and a good league two team. So why are certain people on here finding it so difficult to tell the difference between a La Liga side and a Conference North side. I'm stuck I really am, I love flowing football and goals but it all needs to be taken into context.

Fantastic LCFC put five past Hinckley, here is one for you, SO **** WHAT. It's not down to attitude that is bollocks, It's down to Hinckley being a poor side, and quite possible the inclusion of certain first team members.

Why why why why why is every single decent performance by a Leicester side rewarded with wonton praise, why can't people just accept that a few of our young decent players ( aided by a couple of first team players ) did away with a average Conference North side. A side not playing 4-5-1, who aren’t extremely accomplished at shuting other teams out WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!

why can't I see it the same way others do? Is it because I hate attractive football? No IMO this is because I actually know a thing or two about the game compared to most, something I have learnt since joining this forum. Any one who thinks a side who beats Hinckley 5-0 is better then a side that draws 0-0 with a Real Sociedad side playing 4-5-1 needs their heads examining

on a final note

".......How many Man of the Match nominees can there be cos there was Levi "Napoleon" Porter, Chris "The Biz" 'Grady, Louis "deadshot" Dodds for a start?"

I totally take back my "cheap shot" comments RE your former employers. Evidently the cap fits perfectly.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well put.

Reading some of the reports of yesterday's match may have led us to believe we really did have a magical crop of young players, with a skill level making Pele and the rest of the Brazil 1970 team look like amateurs in comparison, and who, if given the chance by the crony-favouring, philistine, retard of a manager, would take the Championship by storm and the Premiership and Champions League after that.

Unfortunately for some of the more excitable commentators, the video footage has now been made available, revealing the limitations of the opposition in all their glory. The 5-0 scoreline doesn't actually prove anything. I would have backed my 92 year old, arthritis-ridden aunt to score some of the goals we netted yesterday.

We are no nearer knowing whether the youngsters are capable of competing in the rough-and-tumble of the real world that is the Championship.

I'll leave it to Kelly, who knows these players far better than anyone on here, to judge if and when, they are ready.

I was at the Hinckley match and the Real Sociedad match. Ok, the Sociedad match wasn't very good at all but as RK said in his post-match interview, the football played on Friday night was different to how he expects the team to play at Luton next Saturday. I don't think we'll come up against a team like Sociedad in the Championship this season. Maybe similar in terms of sitting behind the ball but when points are up for grabs teams will make some form of attempt to break us down leaving gaps.

Quite a few of our goals at the end of last season came through good link-up play between Fryatt and Hume and there was a few examples of that again on Friday. One thing that I think we lacked from the team that ended last season was a player who would pick the ball up and carry it forwards like Joey Gudjonsson did. I think that's the main thing we'll miss him for. Having said that, I still think RK's ideal midfield pairing is Weso and Johnson and I believe Weso has the potential to become that ball carrier from midfield with Johnson distributing the ball from a deeper role.

The Hinckley game was good but that was all for me. Whilst there were a lot of good things done there were still many things that were done that would've been lambasted if done in the Sociedad match by Maybury or Tiatto by some people on here. Sheehan did play some accurate long balls but he also hoofed it a fair few times too and his some of his tackles were reckless. Magunda had a solid game for a lad who's still only 17 (I think) and looks more composed everytime I see him. By the time he's 19 he could well be in a similar position as Stearman is now. Porter had a solid enough game but would like to see him try and take it round his man when the opportunity arises more so than he does. He has the ability but sometimes looks like he daren't try something in case it doesn't come off. Also got pushed off the ball fairly easily but that's due to his size more than anything. The Championship is a physical league too though so if he wants to make the step up to the first team, he'll have to get used to it. First time I saw Tejan-Sie was in the Youth Cup and he looked a very average player. Not amongst the best 5 players on the pitch but he has improved but still think we have other youngsters that have more talent than him. Same with Gradel. First saw him in the Youth Cup but he impressed me then and has continued to do so.

We have a good few promising youngsters but I think that's all they are for now. O'Grady has shown that it takes hard work to break into the first team but that's what the other Academy lads need to do too. RK will know when they're ready for the first team. He used to work in Youth team football at Blackburn. If you want to see youngsters progressing into the first team then you can't get a much better man at the top to make that happen. He doesn't ignore the youth but he won't blindly put youth players just for the fun of it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well put.

Reading some of the reports of yesterday's match may have led us to believe we really did have a magical crop of young players, with a skill level making Pele and the rest of the Brazil 1970 team look like amateurs in comparison, and who, if given the chance by the crony-favouring, philistine, retard of a manager, would take the Championship by storm and the Premiership and Champions League after that.

Unfortunately for some of the more excitable commentators, the video footage has now been made available, revealing the limitations of the opposition in all their glory. The 5-0 scoreline doesn't actually prove anything. I would have backed my 92 year old, arthritis-ridden aunt to score some of the goals we netted yesterday.

We are no nearer knowing whether the youngsters are capable of competing in the rough-and-tumble of the real world that is the Championship.

I'll leave it to Kelly, who knows these players far better than anyone on here, to judge if and when, they are ready.

Well I would expect you to exaggerate and be selective about any comment made but the truth is we have O'Grady, Dodds, Porter and maybe Gradel and Sheehan knocking on the first team door with a vengeance - not because they are the finished article - but because they have so many skills which our first team is presently missing.

As for the video coverage that didn't paint the full picture at all. City had to work extremely hard early on to

earn the space to play their creative football and in the end they played the opposition into exhaustion and submission.

We didn't do that against anyone else in pre-season matches - however many first team regulars we used.

Jonbluefox took the trouble to watch the game and to come up with a justifiable appraisal and one that I certainly respect even if it is a bit more guarded than mine.

I don't intend to argue the toss on all the players - we both called it as we saw it - except to say that, while I wouldn't have imagined it six months ago, I now believe Levi Porter is the best attacking midfield player in the club.

His workrate was amazing but it was his clever passing which first unlocked the Hinckley defensive door and never allowed it to shut again.

You are right in one thing Ultra - I do get excited. I love to see people trying to play the game positively and I don't want that to change, thanks.

You mention rough and tumble but these players have experienced loads of rough and tumble. They all have rough edges, things they need to improve. But they also already do things which first teamers never do yet are rarely criticised about.

I'll champion Maybury, Tiatto, Williams in our first team midfield when they are all capable of working from goalline to penalty box for 90 minutes, but also capable of three or four shots each per match, of delivering half-a-dozen short through balls per game which lead to genuine chances/ strikes on goal and of consistently helping the team get a worthwhile number of players into the front third in support of attacks.

That's my idea of a genuinely good midfield player. You can give him any name you like but that's the standard we need to set. I've only seen one player at the club do that at all and while I don't imagine he can do it all the time, he has done it more than once.

His workrate was amazing but it was his clever passing which first unlocked the Hinckley defensive door and never allowed it to shut again.

I'm sure the Hinckley defensive door was hard to prise apart.

About as hard as Boston and Macclesfield and Lincoln I'd suggest...where we were hardly convincing at times by all reports.

Hinckley are hardly a patch on those (Full time professional) sides.

Archived