Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Dire Straits

Listening to RK following the departure of Hamill & Gerrbrand and the Qs&As from our chairman it would seem that we are in grave danger of going under sooner rather than later if we don't have a relatively successful season.

It seems we can be successful in one or two ways to a greater or lesser degree.

This means we've either got to be, consistently up in the top 6 positions or on in top half playing the kind of football that makes one believe we can get their.

If this doesn't happen I can see the club looking closely at the family silver which to my mind means not only players like Fryatt, Stearman, Hume et al but also our only other possession of any value - Belvoir Drive.

Bearing in mind the following:

We seem to spend a lot of time at Loughbro Uni. as a training base

We have a much smaller squad

No reserve team as such

The land with appropriate planning permission is probably worth a very tidy sum.

I can seriously see this being an option that the board would consider, sell Belvoir Drive, buy a bit of cheaper land in the County pay off a large chunk of the stadium debt, then over a period of time develop new county based site.

This is not to say I'm in favour but does seem to me to be an option that goes a long way to ensuring our ownership of the stadium, removes the necessity to strip the current squad of it's best players, which in my opinion would send us down a spiral of oblivion .

Obviously the solution is to have a successful season, despite quite a few of you thinking it will be I'm extremely pessimistic and feel that we will struggle to reach and maintain a top half position.

smilies-39833.png

Hmmm, I feel you may be right it all depends on how long we really have is it 1,2 or 4 seasons, who knows!!

P.s. I thought this topic was about a Dire Straights gig, to follow our successful Status Quo one!!! :ph34r:

It would be an option I suppose, and I could see the club doing it. However, like the groundshare, it's just another bit of short-termism. Eventually the club could aquire training facilities as good as the ones we have now, but in the mean time makeshift facilities will hardly attract new players/managers/investors... nor will they help with developing our youth team... which could leave us in a worse position than we're in now.

On the face of it that would seem to make loads of sense and if there was a transitional stage could City not link in with Hinckley United which also has excellent facilities and might benefit playing wise from having first option on youth players eventually released as not quite up to League standard.

Surely City have considered it, they have access to enough builders. Do the Foxes Trust have an opinion or any inside knowledge on the feasibility or thinking on this suggestion. I'm surpised it wasn't raised as a question for the Chairman in the recent FT dialogue, or at least that I have read anything to that effect.

One great advantage of Belvoir Drive is its great convenience, accessibility for youngsters and the fact it already has decent facilities. That would have to be taken into consideration in thinking about alternatives.

On the face of it that would seem to make loads of sense and if there was a transitional stage could City not link in with Hinckley United which also has excellent facilities and might benefit playing wise from having first option on youth players eventually released as not quite up to League standard.

Surely City have considered it, they have access to enough builders. Do the Foxes Trust have an opinion or any inside knowledge on the feasibility or thinking on this suggestion. I'm surpised it wasn't raised as a question for the Chairman in the recent FT dialogue, or at least that I have read anything to that effect.

One great advantage of Belvoir Drive is its great convenience, accessibility for youngsters and the fact it already has decent facilities. That would have to be taken into consideration in thinking about alternatives.

Digs close to any future training ground wouldn't be a problem and I doubt this would hinder any plans to sell Belvoir Drive!

Maybe the fan's could buy Belvoir Drive with help from the Leicester City Council and the Foxes Trust :unsure:

Id say Leicester city's training ground and facilities is one of the best in the championship and would be equal if not better than those in the premiership.Times ive read when players have signed for us "the training ground facilities are fantastic".

So im sure this could sway players minds when and if deciding to sign for us than another club.

But if we were in "Dire straights" financially then im sure they would consider selling the land AFTER selling of there main assets meaning players.

Im sure we will be alright and finish in the top eight this year and go on a great cup run.

Be nice to finish top though hey :)

I also read in the paper when Roman Abramovic was looking to buy chelsea a new training ground as there old one was'nt up to standards,he flew over hyde park and asked someone "how about there?"

The reply he got was thats owned by the Queen.

His reply was "wont she sell ?"

Only if he was a city fan :(

Digs close to any future training ground wouldn't be a problem and I doubt this would hinder any plans to sell Belvoir Drive!

Maybe the fan's could buy Belvoir Drive with help from the Leicester City Council and the Foxes Trust :unsure:

You got a spare 6 million quid?

Leicester council help us... ha. I don't think so.

Listening to RK following the departure of Hamill & Gerrbrand and the Qs&As from our chairman it would seem that we are in grave danger of going under sooner rather than later if we don't have a relatively successful season.

On Radio 5, duroing the weekend rumourmill, they stated that Kelly had been instructed to offload H&G plus MDV and Momo as soon as possible. I ignored it until hearing Gerrbrand had gone.

Should develop a great 'backs to the wall lads' mentality to drive towards the playoffs, I reckon.

You got a spare 6 million quid?

Leicester council help us... ha. I don't think so.

It's not a totally crazy idea.

5000 fans or not fans for that matter, investing £1200 each with a decent dividend guarenteed every year, probably get a better return then if it was in the bank.

It would be a shame to have to sell the training ground it is top notch but if it was the difference between us having a chance of pushing for promotion or being in this league for many years to come surely we would have to sell.

It's not a totally crazy idea.

5000 fans or not fans for that matter, investing £1200 each with a decent dividend guarenteed every year, probably get a better return then if it was in the bank.

The one thing the flurry of stock market flotations a couple of decades ago revealed was that football investments don't pay a decent dividend. Or give capital appreciation. So 5000 fans chucking away £1200 looks a more difficult goal.

But I'm up for it.

Bearing in mind the following:

We seem to spend a lot of time at Loughbro Uni. as a training base

I would have thought that that in itself is quite expensive?

Are there really facilities there that they don't have at "home!?

I would have thought that that in itself is quite expensive?

Are there really facilities there that they don't have at "home!?

I'd expect that they were doing some fitness/ergonomic/skills work with the University so the Uni gets some research and the club get some advanced facilities with little money changing hands. Lboro still has a reputation for sports science so they could have been working on all sorts of things once the routine training was over.

Nobody raised it during the Q & A sessions.

The club have explored all avenues of potential revenue generation, so are aware of the financial scenarios & other relevant factors, such as local planning restrictions.

That doesn't mean it's going ahead, just that it has been assessed along with many other things.

since administration it has always been a strong possibility, especially with the team training elsewhere from time to time. Believe me this is dire straits time this season. Especially if we are out of playoff contention by Xmas when we will lose our better players first. Hope the team gives 150 % every minute of every game.

Archived