Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sackmycook

Hoult coming home?

I agree that Hoult may be better than what we've got but the position of goalkeeper is not a weak one for us.

I think the wages should be spent on a left sided midfielder instead of a goalkeeper.

I think it is! a good keeper is worth 12points.

Not sure we have a good one!

Off the subject slightly but didn't Hoult get accused of bedding some 15 year old a la Graham Rix?

I think it was just making use of the oldest profession.

I agree that Hoult may be better than what we've got but the position of goalkeeper is not a weak one for us.

I think the wages should be spent on a left sided midfielder instead of a goalkeeper.

I'd agree that the left has to be the priority, but if we could get Hoult back for next to nothing (and WestBrom seem spoiled for choice when it comes to solid keepers and at the same time seem uninterested in Hoult's potential role in the future) then it'd be a great buy... but as you say we shouldnt go after him to the detriment of the left, but i think, if the club play their cards right (which we wont :pinch: ) we could wind up with Hoult contesting the the number (1) keeper position with Hendo while a solid and experianced left winger to give Porter cover to develop more... also means we can get rid of Douglas :thumbup:

:blink:

...I'll go ahead and agree that Logan is a good fall back at the moment but Rab is plain awful, Henderson has been pretty solid at times but Hoult is a very good kepper and more to the piont seems to be surplus to requirments at WestBrom and however promising Logan or competant Hendo of late Hoult is just on a totally differant level, a very strong addition indeed... that said I'll belive he's comming back when i see it :(

Just out of interest, how many times have you watched Logan?.

I ask because there were comments on another forum about fans who didn't even know Porter's Christian name and had clearly never seen him.

Indeed I often get the feeling that people are lukeroom at best about players they've barely watched. Louis Dodds is another example. A prolific scorer who barely gets a mention really much less any grat lobbying for him to be on the bench.

Regarding Logan I cannot recall him playing that much for City teams over the last season, certainly at home. He was away at Boston on a shortish loan where he won MoM and Player of the Month awards but when I watched him at Hinckley he certainly looked competent particularly handling high crosses and bossing the six yard box.

City refused a bid for him from Boston (they clearly rated him) yet Hoult is "surplus to requirements" at West Brom which isn't the best advert from a team that came down.

Bottom line is I don't really know how good Logan is but I wouldn't like to see the career of an emerging star goalkeeper curtailed for a sake of a few months service from a bloke who's arguably going the other way.

I keep emphasising that, apart from anything else, we need to develop our assets not fill our club with economically valueless veterans who are not a significant improvement on what we have.

I ask because there were comments on another forum about fans who didn't even know Porter's Christian name and had clearly never seen him.

Indeed I often get the feeling that people are lukeroom at best about players they've barely watched. Louis Dodds is another example. A prolific scorer who barely gets a mention really much less any grat lobbying for him to be on the bench.

Regarding Logan I cannot recall him playing that much for City teams over the last season, certainly at home. He was away at Boston on a shortish loan where he won MoM and Player of the Month awards but when I watched him at Hinckley he certainly looked competent particularly handling high crosses and bossing the six yard box.

City refused a bid for him from Boston (they clearly rated him) yet Hoult is "surplus to requirements" at West Brom which isn't the best advert from a team that came down.

Bottom line is I don't really know how good Logan is but I wouldn't like to see the career of an emerging star goalkeeper curtailed for a sake of a few months service from a bloke who's arguably going the other way.

I keep emphasising that, apart from anything else, we need to develop our assets not fill our club with economically valueless veterans who are not a significant improvement on what we have.

Luckily the keepers haven't cost City yet but past history suggests it's only a matter of time before it happens. If Hoult is available on a free or nominal fee then City have to get him here. Logan will have his day but he's just not ready for the first team at this moment in time.

Surely there are other positions in the squad that need more attention than a keeper. For me Henderson is solid and has done a sound job. I've heard good things about Logan, though have to confess I haven't seen him play. I just don't see what benefit having Hoult in the squad would achieve at this stage. I'll admit that I'm probably one of 20,000 who isn't losing any sleep that Douglas is still not fit, but I'd rather see us strengthen elsewhere in a position where we seem to have plenty. If Logan is as good as I've heard, he should be more than ample back-up for Henderson for the time being.

.I'll go ahead and agree that Logan is a good fall back at the moment but Rab is plain awful, Henderson has been pretty solid at times but Hoult is a very good kepper and more to the piont seems to be surplus to requirments at WestBrom and however promising Logan or competant Hendo of late Hoult is just on a totally differant level, a very strong addition indeed... that said I'll belive he's comming back when i see it

rab is aweful!!! where is your evidence?????

I'm affraid I've only seen him in one or two of the pre-season matches (if you dont count Fifa Manager 06 :cool: ), but i would still say he's promising without going any further... I simply think that while Hendo is ok an experianced goalie like Hoult would be a major plus.

Its important to remember that a goalie who’s “surplus to requirmeents†at WestBrom (while still getting some games until recently) against competition from Pascal Zuberbühler and, until the other day, Tomasz Kuszczak (two of the best keepers in the world) isnt doing all that badly. Hoult would have a lot to offer and could strengthen the squad as a whole… Hoult is not a player and GK is not a position that we should be desperate to sign/fill, but he would warent some serious consideration.

:blink:

...I'll go ahead and agree that Logan is a good fall back at the moment but Rab is plain awful, Henderson has been pretty solid at times but Hoult is a very good kepper and more to the piont seems to be surplus to requirments at WestBrom and however promising Logan or competant Hendo of late Hoult is just on a totally differant level, a very strong addition indeed... that said I'll belive he's comming back when i see it :(

Rab douglas is a better keeper than hendrson!!!

is it because he is scottish? there is a anti scottish thingh on this forum i think

Surely there are other positions in the squad that need more attention than a keeper. For me Henderson is solid and has done a sound job. I've heard good things about Logan, though have to confess I haven't seen him play. I just don't see what benefit having Hoult in the squad would achieve at this stage. I'll admit that I'm probably one of 20,000 who isn't losing any sleep that Douglas is still not fit, but I'd rather see us strengthen elsewhere in a position where we seem to have plenty. If Logan is as good as I've heard, he should be more than ample back-up for Henderson for the time being.

I suggest that it is a position that does need strengthening. Hoult is a far more experienced and confident keeper, one who actually comes off his line and actually organises his defenders. He would probably improve that aspect almost overnight.

I just think if we are to be taking on new players then we have other priorities than a keeper. A decent left-sided midfielder would be top of my shopping list. Tiatto seems to spend a lot of his time injured or suspended and it's not like Henderson is dropping howlers on a regular basis and he's deserved a good run in the team. If we didn't have half decent keepers on the books already I'd say give Hoult a punt, but right now I think he'd find it tough to force Henderson out anyway when he's done nothing to warrant being dropped.

When City turned Boston's bid down for Logan that suggested to me that they have belief in the lad as a first team candidate and RK has referred to him once recently to the effect that he expects him to push for Henderson's place.

That being the case I cannot see the point in going backwards and signing more "experience", certainly not as things stand.

Logan looked good to me when I saw him pre-season, particularly on high crosses. He also seemed to command his box more decisively than Henderson.

But it's not a big deal right now because I don't think Henderson's let anyone down and has certainly not had any material effect on the results this season.

His kicking has improved and I just wish he'd work on quick and accurate distribution now instead of making do with so many aimless punts downfield that might go to anyone and which too easily cost us possession.

The full-backs could help by making themselves more available in wide positions although too often that would be akin to giving the ball away anyhow.

:pinch:

Exactly. Would be really harsh to shunt Henderson out of the team when he's done nothing wrong, and what kind of message to the keepers we have does signing Hoult send out? Only way I reckon Hoult would be rolling up is if Kelly is planning to shift Douglas out. Makes no sense to get rid of Henderson or Logan. Logan looks like one for the future and seems like just one of a good pool of up and coming young players we have.

I can confirm that houlty is signing for leicester, I no his brother hu used to play for coalville ;) and he informed me that leicester want to sign him asap so they can get rid of douglas

How is signing Hoult going to get us rid of Douglas? :blink:

I'm affraid I've only seen him in one or two of the pre-season matches (if you dont count Fifa Manager 06 :cool: ), but i would still say he's promising without going any further... I simply think that while Hendo is ok an experianced goalie like Hoult would be a major plus.

Its important to remember that a goalie who’s “surplus to requirmeents†at WestBrom (while still getting some games until recently) against competition from Pascal Zuberbühler and, until the other day, Tomasz Kuszczak (two of the best keepers in the world) isnt doing all that badly. Hoult would have a lot to offer and could strengthen the squad as a whole… Hoult is not a player and GK is not a position that we should be desperate to sign/fill, but he would warent some serious consideration.

You're having a laugh, aren't you? Zuberbühler is average AT BEST and very unstable (just ask Swissfox), and Kuszczak, although a decent young keeper, will always be remembered for the howler for Poland pre-WC.

There is simply no need for Hoult. And I don't see the justification to bring him in.

I've not seen Hoult play for ages but if he would genuinely improve the team that would trump any other argument including mine. I'm certainly no great fan of Douglas.

...................but let's be honest he's 34 and unless we get him for nothing and he's no more than the back up for our present keepers WBA can keep him.

Maybe we've had an offer for one of our keepers and want a replacement!

...................but let's be honest he's 34 and unless we get him for nothing and he's no more than the back up for our present keepers WBA can keep him.

Delete this post it is far to sensible for this thread.

If we moved Rab on, Hoult would basically be a straight swap. He'd be a slight improvement, I think, and he's only a little older than Rab anyway. It'd be like-for-like.

Archived