Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jamesino_LCFC

Elvis Hammond

The other thing about having Hammond's raw pace and strength is that defenders have to stay around and worry about him - and probably two of them plus one for Fryatt. That relieves the pressure on your defence. Hammond might be no George Best but one on one he'll outrace almost anyone - though whether he'll have the ball with him is another question.

Hume is short burst quick but he doesn't seem to have the distance pace of Hammond which is why I think City should work on trying to leave him one on one with space. Again, Porter's the man to pick out the passes.

The other thing about having Hammond's raw pace and strength is that defenders have to stay around and worry about him - and probably two of them plus one for Fryatt. That relieves the pressure on your defence. Hammond might be no George Best but one on one he'll outrace almost anyone - though whether he'll have the ball with him is another question.

Hume is short burst quick but he doesn't seem to have the distance pace of Hammond which is why I think City should work on trying to leave him one on one with space. Again, Porter's the man to pick out the passes.

Except we didn't actually see too many of them on Saturday, at least in the opponents' half.

I've said previously that I thought he had an accomplished debut and I stand by that view. However I do note the comments on another board that he could easily be another Jon Stevenson. (remember him?)

Basically if Elvis Hammond wasnt fast he would not be a professional footballer. All his other attributes resemble a sunday league player. I admit their is no substitute for pace but you have to have an end product and unfortunately due to his lack of shooting and general lack of awareness he doesnt provide this.

He may create smoke but does he create fire ??!!

Except we didn't actually see too many of them on Saturday, at least in the opponents' half.

I've said previously that I thought he had an accomplished debut and I stand by that view. However I do note the comments on another board that he could easily be another Jon Stevenson. (remember him?)

We saw one that should have created a goal and a run of his into the box that he might have scored from - which with all his other contributions, accurate corners etc was well worthwhile. He constantly supported the strikers.

Furthermore you've should understand the instructions he's clearly got. Just watch him in a general phase when we don't have the ball. He covers right back to the opposing penalty area, offering a constant "out" ball, and if he's there he can't be making vital passes into our box.

No-one is suggesting he'll just be given carte blanche by the opposition to carve them apart but he can do it and we don't have anyone else who consistently does that. His tireless workrate is a big, big bonus because, unlike, say, Ryan Smith or even Welshy to a lesser extent, he has great ability to retain possession in defensive situations.

If everyone gives him the same leeway as, say Nils or McCarthy or Hughes, or Maybury he should have a long and productive career with us.

But the fact was that the Hume/Fryatt combo had done absolutely jack in the first two games.

RK had to break it up. I'd have preferred O'Grady myself but issues off the pitch may have prevented that.

Hammond may have the worst touch since Benjamin but his pace unsettled the Ipswich defence. He gave the attack the spark it had previously lacked. For that reason, even though Hume scored, I'd still keep him on the bench for Friday.

Anyway, welcome to the site. :welcome::thumbup:

They'd done absolutely jack because of the way the other 9 men were playing the ball up to them. The fact that Kelly managed to get them not to hoof it all the while against Ipswich gave instant success. It wasn't anything to do with breaking up the Hume/Fryatt partnership.

What summed Hammond up for me was when Fryatt went down the right inside channel, beat 2 men and pulled another towards him and laid it across the box. What was Hammond doing? Hands on hips waiting on the edge of the box being marked.

Nice one Elvis. You tw at.

I think you've highlighted why Hammond can only be used as a joker and never as a regular starter. The fact he hardly makes any dangerous runs and has poor ball control renders him totally harmless if we're not able to feed the front two and the wingers with decent balls. If a team closes us down and prevents us from playing football, someone like Hammond would just be a waste of space as he can't create anything on his own, unlike a Fryatt or a Hume.

Some of my freinds,Ipswich fans,seem to think Hammond was one of our best players on saturday.

:blink::huh:

I dont rate much atal

Well they could say that because he worked very hard and sometimes a striker can look good working very hard and not scoring in a particular match.

What they dont know is that Elvis isnt a goal scorer and never has been for us, but granted, he did work very hard on Saturday and I was impressed too.

Well they could say that because he worked very hard and sometimes a striker can look good working very hard and not scoring in a particular match.

What they dont know is that Elvis isnt a goal scorer and never has been for us, but granted, he did work very hard on Saturday and I was impressed too.

Or any one else.

Side affect of not being able to shoot that is.

Elvis can't bring the ball down to save his life, he now usually just lets it bounce rather than controlling it. Why can't they teach him it? That type of first touch is really simple

They shouldn't have to teach it him. He should know it already - he IS a PROFESSIONAL footballer after all :)

Hammond isn't a bad option to have on the bench, maybe to stretch some tired legs with his pace late on in a game if we need it. Apart from that though I don't see him cementing a place in the first team at all. Fryatt and Hume much better players and much better playing together - when they get decent service. I'd be gobsmacked if he kept his place over Hume for Cov on Friday night.

I'd be gobsmacked if he kept his place over Hume for Cov on Friday night.

I wouldn't be gobsmacked. RK isn't one for changing the team week-in, week-out, so I wouldn't be suprised to see Elvis in the team for the next 2 games or so

Apart from the four changes he made for the Ipswich game on Saturday.

Wasn't exactly ringing the changes after losing at Luton for the Burnley game though. I just think if he gives a team that loses an extra game to redeem itself, there's no way he can tinker with a winning formula right away

Or any one else.

Side affect of not being able to shoot that is.

Wasn't he the Reserve League topscorer for a season when at Fulham? It prompted some to hail him when he signed for us...

Wasn't he the Reserve League topscorer for a season when at Fulham? It prompted some to hail him when he signed for us...

No he wasn't lol dunno where you have got that from.

In any case I was more reffering to the fact he has played about 50 first team proffesional games now and has managed something like 5 goals.

Thats vage as :rolleyes: There is more than one "reserve league".

Not that it does matter if he has scored a few goals for Fulham reserves at the age of 22 :rolleyes: the fact of the matter is he has had a pathetic scoring record wherever he has played first team.

Not that it does matter if he has scored a few goals for Fulham reserves at the age of 22 :rolleyes: the fact of the matter is he has had a pathetic scoring record wherever he has played first team.

True, looking at his record, you'd guess he was a defender!

Not that it matters if wheather or not he has scored a full goals for Fulham reserves at the age of 22 :rolleyes: the fact of the matter is he has had a pathetic scoring record wherever he has played first team.

I'm sorry if a offend Hammond fans but I don't see him as a striker that's going to take the club forward. He has bags of pace and energy but that's all, he doesn't have much of a footballing brain and his goal scoring record is attrocious at this level. He is a league 1 player at best, although he will do a job for us in the short term but his deficiencies will cost us in the long run.

People have said he will or has improved his whole game, and that given time his skills will improve, but I doubt it, he has spent many a year in the professional game and hasn't really improved, I have an idea that it mabe psychological, but anyhow, our fans have shown how volatile they can be towards poor performers and it's only time until they turn, on Hammond!!!

Archived