Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rustic

Alan Sheehan

Just wondering about Alan Sheehan. Thought he might be at least on the bench. Five games gone now and looks like hes gone to fourth choice left back after Johannsen, Kenton, and even Maybury played there on Tuesday night. With no reserves this year, how can you motivate yourself when there are no matches?Mansfield reserves last Tuesday weeek was the last match.

Just wondering about Alan Sheehan. Thought he might be at least on the bench. Five games gone now and looks like hes gone to fourth choice left back after Johannsen, Kenton, and even Maybury played there on Tuesday night. With no reserves this year, how can you motivate yourself when there are no matches?Mansfield reserves last Tuesday weeek was the last match.

We are pretty strong at the back and my feeling is that (god forbid) It'll take an injury for him to get his chance.

He should be playing at left back given that's been our problem area for years, but whilst Kelly is insisting on playing players out of position at left back I think he needs to go out on loan to League 1/2 and come back even stronger like O'Grady and Logan have done in the past year.

Unless there have been no offers or he doesn't want to go out on loan, it amazes me that we've not had a left back for two years yet we've got a talented natural one not playing any games :dunno:

it amazes me that we've not had a left back for two years yet we've got a talented natural one not playing any games :dunno:

Maybe they just don't rate him yet, they see him day in day out!!! It's not like they are scared of using young players as has been proved!!!!!!!

I thought he looked pretty shaky against Sheffield Wednesday last season (I know we kept a clean sheet that day but he still didn't fill me with confidence) and his sending off against against Crewe was pretty stupid as I recall.

While I acknowledge the fact that he needs to be given a chance at this level to prove himself (and based on opinions I've read on here he MUST have something about him to deserve the talking up he gets), I certainly wouldn't want him at left back for us based on the few appearences he's made when we have Nils -weather he wants to be here or not- and Kenton who can play there and who I think are better options.

Well he's one of my star players on Fifa Manger... along with the likes of Morten Pedersen ;)

But i will admit that not giving a talented lad a shot in the first team in a problem position for us seems a little daft... sooner or later he'll get his shot, the squad isnt big enougth for him not to.

Well he's one of my star players on Fifa Manger... along with the likes of Morten Pedersen ;)

But i will admit that not giving a talented lad a shot in the first team in a problem position for us seems a little daft... sooner or later he'll get his shot, the squad isnt big enougth for him not to.

The coaching staff seem to be knowing best here. They've had no qualms about giving Porter, Stearman, Weso, O'Grady and Logan their chances. If Sheehan is not picked, then it's because he isn't good enough, or hasn't got the right attitude.

The coaching staff seem to be knowing best here. They've had no qualms about giving Porter, Stearman, Weso, O'Grady and Logan their chances. If Sheehan is not picked, then it's because he isn't good enough, or hasn't got the right attitude.

Exacto Mundo... :thumbup:

If Leicester City's coaches cannot turn Sheehan out as the best attacking full-back in the club right now then there's some reason for it that I don't understand.

He seemed to have his enthusiasm back in pre-season friendlies, though not quite the sharpness or confidence I remember previously and that was partly because he was trying too hard and was still short of proper match practise.

His first team results record, while short, is good and it is a shame and a waste that he's not involved.

Especially considering what is being passed as acceptable from our left-backs.

Arrrrrrrrgh... so it's the coaches fault. :rolleyes:

Don't take half a quote and try to make it sound like something I've not said.

Twelve months ago Sheehan looked an extremely promising attacking left back, a good passer who made goals and hit dangerous free-kicks. Our management thought him promising too. They invariably made him captain of the Reserves, selected him seven times for the first team and extended his contract. Why would you do that after years of watching him if you didn't think he was any good?

Since then Sheehan was dropped from a winning first team for no reason I could figure, clearly affecdting his confidence. He then appeared to be exiled from the first team after getting sent off on his return (a consequence never meted out to anyone else) and then, after injury, he returned looking anything but himself.

All seemed rosier in the close season when he seemed to be back under consideration. But still, his performances weren't quite as complete, quite as confident, quite as incisive as they were last season.

Why's that Babylon?. Perhaps you have a plausible theory.

I believe it is in his mind. I believe he's trying too hard and is unsure of what will impress his masters. The coaches should tackle this, and presumably they've tried. But if nothing has worked then the second part of my statement comes into play - that I don't understand the reason.

Coaching is not all about ball-play sequences etc. It is also about putting people in the right frame of mind to be successful. Sheehan has shown he has ability already. The club think he has ability.

But he's not showing it to the full right now - at least not on the odd ocasion I've managed to see him - and there must be a reason. Fitness, confidence, self-belief, fear, lack of match practise ... it could be anything or a combination of various things.

But the sooner we find out the better to my mind.

If Leicester City's coaches cannot turn Sheehan out as the best attacking full-back in the club right now then there's some reason for it that I don't understand.

He seemed to have his enthusiasm back in pre-season friendlies, though not quite the sharpness or confidence I remember previously and that was partly because he was trying too hard and was still short of proper match practise.

His first team results record, while short, is good and it is a shame and a waste that he's not involved.

Especially considering what is being passed as acceptable from our left-backs.

Well to my mind it's pretty obvious that he's not mature and responsible enough to handle a first team spot, the way you paint the picture. It could well be that he's got the skill and the talent, but if his head ain't in the right place then the coaches are right in waiting to give him a chance.

That could well be it - although it seems strange then that he should be selected as a captain.

But none of this would be an issue if City had a good alternative attacking left back. But we don't and the attacking side of those we do play is not as good as even a below-form Sheehan, unless, of course, Kenton provides the answer in which case Sheehan should be introduced slowly from the bench.

i'll trot out the same line as i do about Gradel, logan and Dodds - send then all on Loan, if Sheehan sinks without a trace at a league 1 or 2 club then he isn't good enough yet.

All of our youth need competitive games. Our squad is strong enough to send them out on loan and not miss them too much.

I understand your concern about who's good enough. So why not send Douglas, Nils and Tiatto out on loan and meanwhile arrange some proper fixtures for the young players on the fringes.

Both moves would ensure the progress of our young fringe players is not impeded unnecessarily.

It seems to me that Sheehan just isn't good enough to be in the first team in the eyes of RK. If he was then surely he'd have picked given the fact that the other options at left-back aren't great. Tommy Wright was another good example of the Sheehan syndrome. He was raved about a lot, never got a serious proper run in the first team and just kept shipped out on loan until he was eventually flogged off. Can see Sheehan having to go down the same road.

Exacto Mundo... :thumbup:

Forgetting Sheehan completely but just taking the notion that being "good enough or having the right attitude " is the key to selection how come people like Nils and Maybury get picked? Or Tiatto, I might add, in the vast majority of his last 17 starts?

Please don't tell me they've played well.

Yet Maybury turns up plainly out of position against Macclesfield and now someone's suggesting Tiatto for left back because he played well at left wing and it's a shame to leave him out (presumably because Porter doesn't deserve to lose his place).

You cannot just occupy a player someplace he doesn't belong because he's done okay his proper position, or somewhere else on the field.

That could well be it - although it seems strange then that he should be selected as a captain.

But none of this would be an issue if City had a good alternative attacking left back. But we don't and the attacking side of those we do play is not as good as even a below-form Sheehan, unless, of course, Kenton provides the answer in which case Sheehan should be introduced slowly from the bench.

Surely Sheehan's progress as a footballer matters regardless of the replacements we have? I'm sure Man U would not complain if they had a brilliant striker coming through the ranks even though they have Rooney, Saha, Ronaldo, Rossi etc. Therefore it seems to me our replacements at left back should not matter in the issue (although obviously our current lack of decent left backs makes the issue more pressing); but I would like to know, first team or not, where is Sheehan and how is he getting on?

forgive me if i'm wrong but didn't Tiatto come to the club as a left back? Thats why he wore the number 3 shirt?

He may well have done but it's a long time since he played that role and whenever I saw him anywhere near left-back I winced at the number of unnecessary free-kicks he gave away near the edge of our box, partly through not quite making it to the tackle.

But that's not the main thing. What we need is an attacking full-back and, at 32/33 Tiatto has had enough trouble doing one job these last 12 months rather than trying to do two.

When I opposed re-signing him it was not because he's a useless footballer. He's not. He has some good qualities which I am sure have served him well in the past.

But he was starting to become prone to injury and didn't make enough impact last season as a result to make the risk worthwhile. Already he's had an injury this season.

Speaking to a friend who regulalrly watches them train and said, Sheehan should play left wing because not only is he a good attacker, he has the most accurate shot on him.

Forgetting Sheehan completely but just taking the notion that being "good enough or having the right attitude " is the key to selection how come people like Nils and Maybury get picked? Or Tiatto, I might add, in the vast majority of his last 17 starts?

Please don't tell me they've played well.

Yet Maybury turns up plainly out of position against Macclesfield and now someone's suggesting Tiatto for left back because he played well at left wing and it's a shame to leave him out (presumably because Porter doesn't deserve to lose his place).

You cannot just occupy a player someplace he doesn't belong because he's done okay his proper position, or somewhere else on the field.

It's quite clear you have your own agenda and it clouds your judgement, and it's quite sad really, it seems to me you have a sound football knowlede and very good ideals but bealive they should be reailty. You don't seem to accept anything else but perfection and expecting anything resembling the football we played in the 60's or 70's is silly.

It seems to me you have little faith in the current crop of first team players or the chosen men as you like to call them which is fine, neither do I, but you need something to look foward to, so you go and watch the reserves and academly players and see them play well at that level and think they can reproduce the same form and drive us fowards. Well lets face you need to, otherwise there is fock all else for us to look foward to, Wheather it be by large transfere fee's or playing for the first team you seem to think that every single one of the those players you have seen play at a rubbish level will elevate this club to the premeir league.

Now we all know our differnces regarding certain players, but don't tell me each and every player you rate is going to command a 6...never mind a seven figure transfere fee. It's a nice thought but it will never happen.

Back on topic Alan Sheehan seems to be the prime example, he was the first accademy you backed to do well and now beacuse its not happening it's not his fault. Its the coaching staff, fans, lack of oppurtunity, and poor performace when turning out being a one off. Forger the other few times he turned out he was average and just happened to be part of a team that won.

I am sad not to see the lad play, I've seen him in reserves games and even in some first team games looking fairly reasonable but he hasn't shown me anything that stands out. You like to contunelsy mention Gareth Bale at Southampton, that is a lad who has a future and he has stamped his mark on that team something Sheehan has failed to do. Really, if he was that good he would been in the team. This football club has time for youth players that are good enough and Stearmen, Weslowski and hopefully Porter ( I will admit the lads looks usefull and Danny Tiatto should be a very worried man) show this.

It's blatantly obvious that RK doesn't rate Sheehan. He's got no issues with giving young players a shot in the first team ie Porter, Weso and Stearman. And Sheehan just doesn't figure. You never hear RK saying 'Sheehan has been brilliant in training and for the reserves and he's knocking on the door of the first team', or 'Sheehan will get his chance soon.'

Weso is by far the best prospect out of all the youngsters.

Archived