Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

We got Kelly because no-one else wanted to come!

Rob Kelly did a phenomenal job for us last season, but even he admitted that he didn't really want to become a manager. I believe that he was forced into management as nobody else, possibly apart from Ian Holloway or Peter Reid, wanted to come here anyway.

:mad:

Well after all the interviewing we never actually offered anyone the job so we'll never know who or who didn't want the job, the board took so long to find someone and then had the perfect excuse to bottle it because by then RK had strung a few decent results together.

As for RK actual appointment it was because he'd showed a modicum of success and motivatation, he was the Lord Mayor's show after the dust cart, it required no great decision making pressure on the board ( we did want the fans wanted) and he was cheap.

If we had appointed a new manager in the summer and didn't have instant success, how many fans would have been complaining that we brought someone new in when Rob Kelly was working out fine...?

It's the same with complaints about the board not giving us money to spend - look what happened last time we splashed out irresponsibly. Now they are being careful rather than pushing us into administration, and people are moaning that we aren't spending money.

I dont agree no one else wanted to come.

It is far more about club ambition..

There is a vast difference between staving off relegation is a nothing to lose situation compared with beggining a season with ambitions of a top 10 finish.

There would have been a huge selection of interested candidates in the foxes hot seat had the job been thrown up to apply for, a decent wage was offered a couple of million offered to bring in a few faces.

You never get anywhere in this life in any field without taking a few risks, a few gambles and a spot of specualtion.

Kelley was the soft old airchair, cheap and easy option for the board, who showed a total lack of ambition or bravery by appointing him on a full time basis.

The board could have easily appointed someone instead of Kelly but lets be honest RK was doing a half decent job as caretaker manager and deserved his chance, also there was no guarantee of anyone else doing a good job.

I'd say about 95% of the fans supported the decision and if it went tits up the board had the luxury of saying well you lot wanted him!

The board imo didn't really do a good job with the appointment and we made it too easy for them in the end to appoint Rob.

I'd have gone for a more experienced gaffer than RK if the choice was down to me. But I feel that Kelly was appointed because of the way he saved us last season from what looked like a near-impossible position and the way the fans took to him as well. I wouldn't have blamed any other manager for not wanting to join us; we have no finances to speak of, we were nearly a certainty for relegation and no-one had any cause to be optimistic. RK maybe knew he would have struggled with the job on a long term basis, and made it clear he had no real intentions of staying in charge for this season. My fears are that the board will leave RK in until we are in a similar situation to what CL put us in last term, and then we'll have the same dilemma of struggling to attract a new manager.

Rob Kelly did a phenomenal job for us last season, but even he admitted that he didn't really want to become a manager. I believe that he was forced into management as nobody else, possibly apart from Ian Holloway or Peter Reid, wanted to come here anyway.

Not true. nobody was actually offered the job apart from RK. Mike Newell had several interviews but was never offered the job because of the great job RK was doing (at the time i thought it was the wrong decision). If Newell was offered the job, i am pretty sure nobody could say he wouldnt be Leicester manager right now.

Not true. Quite a few managers made enquiries, including Billy Davies and Kevin Blackwell.

Though given Blackwell's current record at Leeds, perhaps we had a lucky escape!

Archived