Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

The Chris O'Grady Experiement

Leave COG alone, he's got cracking ability.

To compare him to de Vries is rubbish. He's a young lad with a good touch, two feet, strength and isn't bad in the air at all as some have said.

Criticise the likes of Johnson, yes, but please take into consideration that this is COG's first proper bloody season at this level and he's still a fooking kid.

Jesus.

you forgot the most important stat which is superior to age.

devries has scored more goals at this level.

As kelly said Form is tempory and Skill is permanent.

O'Grady has the skill but he is even more out-of-form than Fryatt.

I think Hume is better.

O'Grady has the skill? I have seen him hit one good shot (That means it went where he wanted it to at reasonable power) in all his time at Leicester. I've seen him drag the ball well over 50% of the time. Why do people ignore how good footballers are at kicking the damn thing when judging how much skill they have??? :blink:

Hume and Fryatt have so much more ability it is not even funny.

Instead of questioning why COG is playing, can't we try and do something about AJ and SH playing every week?? They are both well below what we need atm, and only serve to weaken our side no ends. With them two in the side, it's usually like we're playing with 9 or 10 men from the start. This is why when another player has a bad game, we are even weaker and more susceptible to getting overrun in the midfield or beat by shit teams. Somebody needs to grab RK, shake him vigorously, slap him twice on both cheeks and tell him to get a fooking grip. We should be doing much better than this, but we will not do so if we play what seems like 2 men (such is the poor level of performance Hughes and Johnson give) in midfield every week.

O'Grady has the skill? I have seen him hit one good shot (That means it went where he wanted it to at reasonable power) in all his time at Leicester. I've seen him drag the ball well over 50% of the time. Why do people ignore how good footballers are at kicking the damn thing when judging how much skill they have??? :blink:

I've seen COG score some cracking goals and his general technique is escellent. Other players enjoy linking with him and he is much stronger than either Fryatt or Hume in retaining possession. That's not to criticise Fryatt and Hume. All three should have played Saturday and if they had we'd have won in my opinion because we'd have scored.

Never said that he was better than Fryatt or Hume. But he does have good skills that are important to the style of play but as Thrac said he can only play well when he has the right style and players around him.

I've seen COG score some cracking goals and his general technique is escellent. Other players enjoy linking with him and he is much stronger than either Fryatt or Hume in retaining possession. That's not to criticise Fryatt and Hume. All three should have played Saturday and if they had we'd have won in my opinion because we'd have scored.

I agree his general hold up play is his strength and he has a "good technique for a big man" (I have seen some high balls bounce off of him an dhe can be slow to react after his first touch so it is no more than that.) On the cracking goals thing, I presume you are talking about the youth team? He has only scored one good goal for the first team and that was the one in the cup this season.

I can't really comment on the youth team level but I will say this. Players liek Lawrie Dudfield, Tommy Wright, Tomi Petrescu scored shedloads at that level, they can because they are given acres of room as the standard of the defending is not even close to Championship level. I look like I have a good shot on me if i have a few seconds to allign my body, good players don't need that. They instinctively put their body int he correct position to make clean contact with the ball however it is coming at them. Look at how Van Nistelrooy puts hismelf in a position to strike the ball before defenders have even had the time to react. It is this athleticism, instinct and skill that seperates competent players from good players.

From what I have seen of Chris O'Grady (all of his home games and a few of the away ones to boot) he looks oky when he has his back to goal or doing a stepover) but when it comes ot kicking the thing he looks like a pub player. I might be wrong, I have been before, but to me he is clearly out of his depth. Its a pity because he is clearly a tryer and works hard at his game (the mechanical control is a big sign on that). However, the rela pity si that we have a player of genuine class being kept out of the team in Ian Hume.

Leave COG alone, he's got cracking ability.

To compare him to de Vries is rubbish. He's a young lad with a good touch, two feet, strength and isn't bad in the air at all as some have said.

Criticise the likes of Johnson, yes, but please take into consideration that this is COG's first proper bloody season at this level and he's still a fooking kid.

Jesus.

Sorry I'd take de Vries everyday of the week over O'Grady and so would just about every other manager except the pillock we are stuck with just now.

Sorry I'd take de Vries everyday of the week over O'Grady and so would just about every other manager except the pillock we are stuck with just now.

Even pillocks have some form of braincells and understanding of things. Planks don't. Robert Kelly is a plank.

I doubt DeVries is even fit judging by the amount of football he's getting in a team that is bottom of the League and hasn't won a game.

DeVries wasn't without ability but I don't think he would be a sensible option now and I don't think he'd fit in with my vision for City's future anyway. In fact I don't think he fitted in very well generally but that is just an impression I formed.

But he is yet another player that was lambasted on here by all and sundry.

I don't think I joined in that apart from the odd game - which he was as prone to as anyone else - when he was abyssmal because his control deserted him. In fact I pointed out on several occasions that his goals spoke for themselves.

What I did criticise was the fact that, because he was a big target, and Dublin was the same, we tended just to loft the ball out of defence and see what MDV or Dublin when he played up front, could do when he got it.

The same applied on Saturday because O'Grady has shown he can hold it. Trouble is COG had a man to match him and more in the air, Kelly didn't demand a different approach, and that's not what we should be doing in any case.

The fact's been mentioned that it's a crime to lose Hume is correct and highlights Kelly's dogmatic approach. Hume, Fryatt and COG are among our best players and we don't have an abundance of "best" players. Consequently he needs to adapt his strategy, if possible, to use all three.

I believe that can be done. I believe Hammond on the right and Porter on the left would give them all more space and suppliers like Stearman and Weso more options. Hammond would also give us more penetration cos neither Low nor Porter has the pace to go past people, they make openings with trickery instead of pace and Levi's strength is his passing.

Hammond could operate like a poor man's Steve Heighway who was never a wizard of dribble but whose speed and strength caused havoc.

COG put in some good performances last season and scored a decent goal , just like fryatt and hume who had good performances and banged the goals in.

its not the strikers fault that the service to them from the defence is poor because we have no midfield and the defenders end up hoofing the ball.

i brought the dvd to last season , im a massochist :ph34r: but it does show what we are now lacking when joey left and was replaced by johnson. if the midfield does not tick then the rest of the team is going to struggle.

hughes is not upto the job though he can be a decent player.

johnson is knackered and useless.

williams is a lazy bugger but has some talent and if dumped with the responsibility of controlling the midfield and given a good talking too might be the answer?

weso is to young to be ordering johnson and co around , needs an experienced player alongside him but what that can still play , which rules out johnson.

tiatto might be a temporary solution. i do not like him but the qualities that make him poor on the wing might make him a decent central midfielder???

maybury has shown in the past he can be a decent player who is versatile , he cant be worse than johnson.

O'grady was terrible on saturday, as were all our players other than dare I say it Nils-Eric Johansson and Logan who didn't have anything to do.

We are playing turgid football, I can't see how any of our players including Fryatt, Hume, Wesolowski, any of them being able to make a consistent impact if we don't play to our strengths. England couldn't do it with the best players at their disposal and we certainly won't.

O'Grady has some raw talent, he showed this when the team were doing well at the end of last season. Since then we've completely changed the way we play football and other than our defenders, it's hard for any of our players to receive the ball in space. I would take him out of the firing line at the minute, have him back as a 15-20 minute impact player. Hume and Fryatt are our best strikers and if Kelly continues to allow our team to leather the ball 80 foot in the air to them then he'll be gone within a few weeks/months anyway. But those 2 have to be re-united upfront.

I never thought this would be possible but I got the feeling on Saturday that O'Grady is a poor man's Trevor Benjamin.

He did look clueless. They all did, it was weird. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon too much, but they need to all get their act together. We saw last season how much the youngsters shrivel up and lose their ability when things start getting bad. I fear Kelly is a dead man walking, the fans haven't got the patience and we don't have the players to get us out of this really. We have some good young players, but so do alot of teams in this league.

One thing I will say is, fair play to Kelly for having the bollocks to give the youngsters a chance. Let's be fair, Porter, Wesolowski, Logan, O'Grady and Stearman haven't really looked any worse than the experienced players in their positions. He's done what alot of fans have been desperate for him to do, but it doesn't look like they are going to be able to make us improve. Some of them have clearly got the ability and if we are going to struggle, i'm sure the fans would rather see a team full of youngsters giving their all and perhaps giving us soemthing to identify with than 11 over-paid, over the hill chancers. It's hard to ever settle with either of those scenario's but that's what it's all come down to.

Although having just read The Sun, Milan has tickled my fish again.

I never thought this would be possible but I got the feeling on Saturday that O'Grady is a poor man's Trevor Benjamin.

We all accept it wasn't his best performance but that was much to do with the sparcity of decent passes.

With Hughes and Johnson it is every blooming week and still they get picked.

We all accept it wasn't his best performance but that was much to do with the sparcity of decent passes.

With Hughes and Johnson it is every blooming week and still they get picked.

It seems very odd for so many players have a off season so far, one must ask the question, is it the tactics, formation, the personnel (players that don't fit) rather then the individuals????

It seems very odd for so many players have a off season so far, one must ask the question, is it the tactics, formation, the personnel (players that don't fit) rather then the individuals????

At the start of the season we had Tiatto and Maybury on the wings, an out-of-form Stearman, Hume not getting in the game at all. He's changed all of that and if anything we look even worse. There is a point where you have to wonder whether we actually have enough good players to make a decent team.

o'grady is a poor mans mark de vries then?

im interested to know why he is getting so much stick?

is it because he is big?

is it because he is playing ahead of the precious iain 'can i actually deliver the final product' hume

what about his good control, turning well with the ball, causing defenders problems with his power.

dont get me wrong, when huime is firing on all cylinders then great. stick him in the team. the fact is he isnt.

o'grady is more of a threat at the moment.

is it because he is big?

is it because he is playing ahead of the precious iain 'can i actually deliver the final product' hume

what about his good control, turning well with the ball, causing defenders problems with his power.

dont get me wrong, when huime is firing on all cylinders then great. stick him in the team. the fact is he isnt.

Has your shift key gone on strike?

is it because he is big?

Iain '11 goals in 30 starts' Hume. A better striking record than any of our other strikers including Fryatt.

Archived