Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Man of the Match

Man of the Villa match?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match - who?

• P Henderson
    • A Maybury
    • P Kisnorbo
    • G McAuley
    • N Johansson
    • M Sylla
    • J Wesolowski
    • R Stearman
    • A Welsh
    • E Hammond
    • I Hume
    • J Low (sub)
    • E Odhiambo (sub)
    • D Kenton (sub)

Nisse, played brilliantly against the pace of Agbonlahor.

Too right, I thought he'd have a poor game because of how fast he is. He is my MOTM only because I've never seen him play that good but Kisnorbo, McAuley, Henderson, Weso and Stearman stood out last night I think and they deserve a special mention, especially because Stearman was out of position.

Kisnorbo. Had Baros in his pocket throughout, and scored at the other end.

There were plenty who ran him close though - Stearman, Weso, Hume and Henderson in particular.

Many of those players who missed last night's game are going to struggle to win their places back!

By the way, it didn't cost us 50p to vote in this poll did it? :ph34r:

:laugh:

:clap:

Seems like it's a toss up between Henderson, Nissa and Weso.

Who'd have thought we'd ever see this trio battling it out for MOTM? People finding it hard to pick usually means one of two things: we had an absolutely horrendous game nobody stood out at all, or we had such a great game, nobody can differentiate the good from the brilliant any more. :yesyes:

Well done City. :appl:

(I didn't vote, personally, as I didn't hear enough of the game - from what I did hear, it'd be Henderson as he was kept pretty busy from about the 80th minute) ;)

I've voted for Henderson simply because if it wasn't for him last night we'd have conceded double or triple the amount we did. Got close with the first penalty, kept his cool and saved the second one. As well as some pretty amazing saves in extra time (the one-handed save infront of the Kop in the second half of extra-time stands out - that was awesome).

Stearman, Weso, Huuuuuume, Kisnorbo, McAuley and even Nils-Eric were exceptional last night. It's such a shame that their efforts went unrewarded :cry: Jammy Villa b*st*rds!! :(

Skills for me. I can't believe the man sometimes. Some games he'll be made to look sunday league standard by a striker with no pace or football brain. Then like last night, he seems to get worldclass pace, positioning, tackling and distribution when up against a player we all thought was going to kill him before the game!

Skills for me. I can't believe the man sometimes. Some games he'll be made to look sunday league standard by a striker with no pace or football brain. Then like last night, he seems to get worldclass pace, positioning, tackling and distribution when up against a player we all thought was going to kill him before the game!

What would Stan make of him?

This guy picks out Sylla as well... :blink:

Link

Martin O'Neill celebrated a 3-2 win on his return to Leicester as Gabriel Agbonlahor scored in the last minute of extra-time for Aston Villa. The Carling Cup thriller at the Walkers Stadium seemed destined to go to penalties before Agbonlahor smashed home a rising shot from a narrow angle.

O'Neill had a love affair with the League Cup at Leicester - winning it on two occasions in 1997 and 2000 - and he would have been proud of the passion, pride and skill shown by the Foxes, which was reminiscent of his days at the club.

Kelly's men twice came from behind and matched their higher-graded opponents in all departments in front of a passionate 27,000 crowd.

The Championship side were driven on by Richard Stearman and Momo Sylla from midfield while Iain Hume worked tirelessly upfront.

Leicester, unbeaten in their previous seven league and cup matches, began brightly but after six minutes Villa went ahead through Juan Pablo Angel.

Milan Baros found Agbonlahor on the right flank and he made good ground before sending a perfectly weighted low cross into the path of Angel, who slid the ball past Paul Henderson from six yards out.

Villa looked dangerous when they ventured forward and Henderson needed two attempts to halt a low 20-yard effort from Stiliyan Petrov.

Stuart Taylor went down to his left to hold a 20-yard drive from Leicester striker Elvis Hammond, before Angel came within inches of doubling Villa's lead after half an hour.

The Colombian international headed against the crossbar after Agbonlahor had flicked on a corner from Barry.

Leicester had plenty of width to their game and after 40 minutes they deservedly got back on level terms through Stearman.

Sylla's inswinging free-kick was only half cleared and the ball broke to Hume, whose fierce shot was beaten out by Taylor.

But Stearman was the first to react to the rebound and he hammered the ball past Taylor for his third goal of the campaign.

Then in first-half injury-time Barry struck from the penalty spot for the second successive game to restore Villa's lead.

Gareth McAuley was harshly adjudged to have fouled Petrov as referee Mark Clattenburg pointed to the spot and Barry drilled a left-footed shot into the roof of the net.

Leicester started the second period full of purpose and Hume came close to snatching an equaliser.

The striker dispossessed Isaiah Osbourne in the centre of the park and surged forward before unleashing a 20-yard drive which beat the dive of Taylor but was inches wide of the far post.

Angel could have sealed victory for Villa but he volleyed over after a Barry corner had only been half cleared.

And in the 85th minute Leicester were deservedly back on level terms when Patrick Kisnorbo headed home a corner from Sylla at the near post.

Barry had the chance to win the game for Villa in injury-time after Clattenburg awarded Villa a second penalty when substitute Chris Sutton was held by Kisnorbo.

But Henderson kept out Barry's penalty to take the game in extra-time.

Foxes number two Mike Stowell appeared to be banished from the dug-out for his part in the Leicester protests over the second penalty award.

Henderson was again Leicester's hero when he finger-tipped a low drive from Petrov around the post after Sutton had played the ball into his path.

But with only seconds remaining Agbonlahor broke Leicester's hearts after substitute Josh Low had failed to clear properly.

Archived