Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Stearman

Great Prospect or Over-rated?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will he be as good as first thought?

• Great Prospect
    • Over-rated
    • Can't tell yet

He's a great prospect I think but to get the best out of him Kelly should start playing him often he shown what hes capable of at a young age he just needs to keep getting in the starting 11 to keep on improving his game I think.

His passing consistency really was off today wasn't it? If he can nail that he'd be so much better - far too many long balls in aimless directions for my liking at present...I'd still have him in the team though.

Unfortunately Kelly didn't have a clue who to put in centre mid today.

I think there's a difference between this and Kelly didn't have any players to go in centre midfield today. Williams, Tiatto, Johnson and Weso were all out so what's he supposed to do?! For what it's worth I'd have had Stearman at RB and Maybury in midfield, but to criticise Kelly for having to play someone out of position under the circumstances is harsh.

For what it's worth I thought Stearman bought out the best in Hughes. It's the first time I've ever sen him take responsibility and make himself available for the ball from the back four. I might say it was a Muzzyesque performance, but it would be a huge exaggeration and a bit of an insult to a ledgend! I think his early shot anthe response fromthe crowd bought out the best in him

No idea what this has to do wih Stearman, I've just got carried away!

I think there's a difference between this and Kelly didn't have any players to go in centre midfield today. Williams, Tiatto, Johnson and Weso were all out so what's he supposed to do?! For what it's worth I'd have had Stearman at RB and Maybury in midfield, but to criticise Kelly for having to play someone out of position under the circumstances is harsh.

For what it's worth I thought Stearman bought out the best in Hughes. It's the first time I've ever sen him take responsibility and make himself available for the ball from the back four. I might say it was a Muzzyesque performance, but it would be a huge exaggeration and a bit of an insult to a ledgend! I think his early shot anthe response fromthe crowd bought out the best in him

No idea what this has to do wih Stearman, I've just got carried away!

:nono:

We need proper wingers and proper midfielders in the middle - Maybury doesn't count.

:nono:

We need proper wingers and proper midfielders in the middle - Maybury doesn't count.

Couldn't agree more, but I really can't make the point any stronger.... we had no fit midfielders!! Who would you have played in centre mid today??

Given the choice between Stearman and Maybury, I think the latter is better suited to the role. Or we've got the choice of throwing in someone from the youth team against an Ian Holloway team who are guaranteed to be fairly fit and physical.

Couldn't agree more, but I really can't make the point any stronger.... we had no fit midfielders!! Who would you have played in centre mid today??

Given the choice between Stearman and Maybury, I think the latter is better suited to the role. Or we've got the choice of throwing in someone from the youth team against an Ian Holloway team who are guaranteed to be fairly fit and physical.

Tiatto - but was suspended.

Weso - but apparently he's not fully over that leg injury.

Porter would have been my choice, I wouldn't be sure he could manage the full 90 minutes since he hasn't had a game in a while.

Stearman wasn't a bad choice - he did play there with some success against Villa, so it was worth a try. I don't think Maybury is at all useful in midfield. At least Stearman will have played in such funny positions more recently (in his academy days but 3 years ago).

I don't agree with Maybury in the middle at all. If we're going to put people out of position, we may as well do it with the younger players who are likely to be flexible enough to adapt.

Tiatto - but was suspended.

Weso - but apparently he's not fully over that leg injury.

Porter would have been my choice, I wouldn't be sure he could manage the full 90 minutes since he hasn't had a game in a while.

Stearman wasn't a bad choice - he did play there with some success against Villa, so it was worth a try. I don't think Maybury is at all useful in midfield. At least Stearman will have played in such funny positions more recently (in his academy days but 3 years ago).

I don't agree with Maybury in the middle at all. If we're going to put people out of position, we may as well do it with the younger players who are likely to be flexible enough to adapt.

I personally don't think Porter is big enough for a centre mid role alongside Hughes. Neither are exactly tough tacklers!

Fair point about the flexibility of the younger players, I justthink Maybs (who I'm not a huge fan of by the way) has also demonstrated flexibility (RB, LB, RM - although none that well!). I just think over Stearman in the position he offers a bit more maturity, tougher tackling and workrate. Hey, it'd be boring if we all agreed!

I personally don't think Porter is big enough for a centre mid role alongside Hughes. Neither are exactly tough tacklers!

Fair point about the flexibility of the younger players, I justthink Maybs (who I'm not a huge fan of by the way) has also demonstrated flexibility (RB, LB, RM - although none that well!). I just think over Stearman in the position he offers a bit more maturity, tougher tackling and workrate. Hey, it'd be boring if we all agreed!

Precisely my issue with Maybury. Decent RB, hasn't really adapted terribly well to the other positions he's been asked to play. Often a problem at LB, nowhere near enough of an attacking threat to fit in RM. How he'd cope in CB is a different matter - but his record in other positions doesn't bode well. ;)

Stearman has a little more to offer going forward - part of the reason people like him at RB, because he can support an attack - which makes him just a little more suitable for a role in midfield. Not to say he's ideal, of course. ;)

Precisely my issue with Maybury. Decent RB, hasn't really adapted terribly well to the other positions he's been asked to play. Often a problem at LB, nowhere near enough of an attacking threat to fit in RM. How he'd cope in CB is a different matter - but his record in other positions doesn't bode well. ;)

Stearman has a little more to offer going forward - part of the reason people like him at RB, because he can support an attack - which makes him just a little more suitable for a role in midfield. Not to say he's ideal, of course. ;)

Hmmmm, I'm man enough to admit you may have changed my mind!

Let's all just pray that at least once this season we see Weso and Williams in there together (again only my opinion!).

celtic are after him according to the sunday mirror, id let him go for anything over 500k

It's seems there are quite a few clubs after him.

celtic are after him according to the sunday mirror, id let him go for anything over 500k

Ho, ho especially as there was a rumour in one of the Sundays that Greg Halford has a 2.5 million price tag on him so Stearman must be worth something of that order.

West Ham are ready to launch a £2.5m-bid for Colchester right-back Greg Halford. (News of the World)

Ho, ho especially as there was a rumour in one of the Sundays that Greg Halford has a 2.5 million price tag on him so Stearman must be worth something of that order.

I'd say Stearman is definetly worth more than 500k but depends he could go for around that.

I'd say Stearman is definetly worth more than 500k but depends he could go for around that.

Considering we turned down a bid of over £1 million in August for him and that's not the first time either, I hazard a guess that we wouldn't seel for anything under £1.5 million minimum.

Considering we turned down a bid of over £1 million in August for him and that's not the first time either, I hazard a guess that we wouldn't seel for anything under £1.5 million minimum.

You're right - and it's perhaps as well a few of our fans aren't conducting the deals, because they'd give half our young players away for sod all.

As for the question of Stearman or Porter in midfield it is rather like asking Alonso or my youngest son to drive a Grand Prix car. Stearman's a good attacking full-back but to compare him as a speialist midfield player to Porter is ridiculous.

Too small? Since when has it been a pre-requisite of midfield playrs to be big? Porter's never going to great in the air but otherwise he's tough enough, durable enough and energetic enough. Alan Ball won a World Cup medal for England yet wasn't very big.

I no he's bigger but I doubt Scholes is any better in the tackle than Porter, then there's been David Batty, Billy Bremner, Peter Reid and a whole host of small midfielders who have proved themselves to be outstanding internationals.

We could have Johnson of course. He's big and strong and hasn't played a single good game for us. Nor did Kisnorbo in midfield. Size might matter to the ladies but it's sure as Hell no way to judge a footballer.

I've seen Porter play lots of times in midfield and if he follows his Reserves career the first time he plays in that position for the first team he'll be awful. Every single time thereafter he totally controlled the game, spraying passes here, there and everywhere and providing support from the right-back position to the left wing in fairly rapid succession.

We have just three attacking midfielders at the club - Gareth Williams, Levi Porter and Andy King. Pretending there's anyone else is like believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

We can only forge a decent attacking team based on one defensively capable midfielder (Tiatto/Wesolowski/Hughes). Even if we had Rio Ferdiand type centre-backs and quality wing-backs, which we don't, I wouldn't risk two unless the second one was also good in an attacking sense.

There is no way our team will flow with defenders in midfield. It is a nonsensical idea and one of the root causes of our underperformance. I count Johnson as defensive nowadays because he's shown no attacking qualities and doesn't seem to have the energy now to support attacks.

Archived