lookwhaticando Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 Scenario: Person B "knows" Person A is busy. Person B messages Person A - the following conversation takes place: Person B: Hey Person A: Hi there Person B: I know you're busy, I just wanted to say Hi Person B: Well, I guess I'll let you get back to it Person B: Bye! What the bloody hell is all that about? Did Person B have a logic bypass at birth? Which part of him thought it would be sensible to disturb somebody he 'knows' to be busy with just a 'hello and goodbye'. Did it not occur to him that perhaps sending the message at all was a distraction? Frankly, if you're going to commit such a distraction, you should at least have SOMETHING to say! ---------- Anyone else got any good etiquette complaints for instant messaging programs like MSN etc?
cisono Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 Scenario: Person B "knows" Person A is busy. Person B messages Person A - the following conversation takes place: Person B: Hey Person A: Hi there Person B: I know you're busy, I just wanted to say Hi Person B: Well, I guess I'll let you get back to it Person B: Bye! What the bloody hell is all that about? They either don't believe you are busy or they do have something to say, but they are just testing the water... (as to whether you are really busy - i.e. perhaps it is something that requires some time to say, e.g. asking you out or something. Not that I have any experience in that ) Anyone else got any good etiquette complaints for instant messaging programs like MSN etc? Yeah, I hate people leaving in the middle of a conversation, without ever "coming back" or explaining what happened! I also hate it when my lines do not reach the recipient, but that is just bugs in MSN methinks!!!
The People's Hero Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 They either don't believe you are busy or they do have something to say, but they are just testing the water... (as to whether you are really busy - i.e. perhaps it is something that requires some time to say, e.g. asking you out or something. Not that I have any experience in that ) Yeah, I hate people leaving in the middle of a conversation, without ever "coming back" or explaining what happened! I also hate it when my lines do not reach the recipient, but that is just bugs in MSN methinks!!! Yeah, that nibbles my nodger and happens so often. Bah!
Trumpet Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 I hate it when people you wouldnt normally talk to anyway talk to you. And all they say is: Them: iya Me: Hi Them: u k? Me: Yes are you? Them: ye fnx Me: Good Them: wubu2? Me: Not alot, you? Them: sme /end
Rincewind Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 one reason why I dont use msn much. Plus I cant do text speak.
Alexikokopops Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 Yeah, I hate people leaving in the middle of a conversation, without ever "coming back" or explaining what happened! Ha, you should probably never speak to me on MSN then. I frequently wander off downstairs for something quick and end up spending half an hour down there with the housemates before I realise I was talking to someone.
The People's Hero Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 Yeah but you're the Dandy Highwayman, so that's cool with me.
Alexikokopops Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 Yeah but you're the Dandy Highwayman, so that's cool with me. But quite evidently not one that you're too scared to mention...
The People's Hero Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 ' date='Dec 13 2006, 11:16 AM' post='476874']But quite evidently not one that you're too scared to mention... I know not fear. It's one of the things I sacrificed at age 6 to get the Scalextric I'd always wanted.
lookwhaticando Posted 13 December 2006 Author Posted 13 December 2006 They either don't believe you are busy or they do have something to say, but they are just testing the water... (as to whether you are really busy - i.e. perhaps it is something that requires some time to say, e.g. asking you out or something. Not that I have any experience in that ) --------------- Yeah, I hate people leaving in the middle of a conversation, without ever "coming back" or explaining what happened! I also hate it when my lines do not reach the recipient, but that is just bugs in MSN methinks!!! No, this particular instance was definitely not testing the water or anything like that. I replied once, and within 30 seconds the conversation was over. They said their piece then signed off. They couldn't possibly have been testing the water. And Sorry. I do often talk then wander off only to realize I've been away for an hour. Will try harder in future.
coale39 Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 Scenario: Person B "knows" Person A is busy. Person B messages Person A - the following conversation takes place: Person B: Hey Person A: Hi there Person B: I know you're busy, I just wanted to say Hi Person B: Well, I guess I'll let you get back to it Person B: Bye! What the bloody hell is all that about? Did Person B have a logic bypass at birth? Which part of him thought it would be sensible to disturb somebody he 'knows' to be busy with just a 'hello and goodbye'. Did it not occur to him that perhaps sending the message at all was a distraction? Frankly, if you're going to commit such a distraction, you should at least have SOMETHING to say! ---------- Anyone else got any good etiquette complaints for instant messaging programs like MSN etc? But why would you be logged in to MSN if ya didn't wanna talk to anyone?
Finnegan Posted 13 December 2006 Posted 13 December 2006 But why would you be logged in to MSN if ya didn't wanna talk to anyone? Haha. I'm pretty guilty of that, it's on all the time and I'm rarely there.
lookwhaticando Posted 13 December 2006 Author Posted 13 December 2006 But why would you be logged in to MSN if ya didn't wanna talk to anyone? It's not that I didn't want to talk. I was busy to the point where I wasn't engaging people in conversation per se. But I wasn't so busy to the point that I couldn't talk at all - or I would have signed out of MSN completely. I had no problems with being disturbed at the time - if someone had something they wanted/needed to say I was there and could be contacted - that's fine. It's just the illogical decision to disturb me (when they thought/knew I was busy) and communicate absolutely no information whatsoever. When you think/know someone is busy, you don't 'just say hi' - you either say something important/interesting or you say nothing. Haha. I'm pretty guilty of that, it's on all the time and I'm rarely there. If I'm near a computer, I'm signed into MSN unless I'm too busy to deal with anything at all. So I'm sorta in the same boat as you - often online yet absent from the computer nonetheless.
Suffolk_fox Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 I too am guilty of not being around while logged on. But if someone is busy, I don't interrupt them unless I have something really vital to talk to them about.
Bert Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 Scenario: Person B "knows" Person A is busy. Person B messages Person A - the following conversation takes place: Person B: Hey Person A: Hi there Person B: I know you're busy, I just wanted to say Hi Person B: Well, I guess I'll let you get back to it Person B: Bye! What the bloody hell is all that about? Did Person B have a logic bypass at birth? Which part of him thought it would be sensible to disturb somebody he 'knows' to be busy with just a 'hello and goodbye'. Did it not occur to him that perhaps sending the message at all was a distraction? Frankly, if you're going to commit such a distraction, you should at least have SOMETHING to say! ---------- Anyone else got any good etiquette complaints for instant messaging programs like MSN etc? Our chats are top LWICD. Generally if a person is busy or set to any other status i'll still message them as i would probably forget what i was going to say. --------------------------- What really annoys me is when someone says "I've got something to tell you" or "I know something" etc and you then reply by saying "what" and the other person replies with "actually, it doesn't matter now"
lookwhaticando Posted 15 December 2006 Author Posted 15 December 2006 Our chats are top LWICD. Generally if a person is busy or set to any other status i'll still message them as i would probably forget what i was going to say. --------------------------- What really annoys me is when someone says "I've got something to tell you" or "I know something" etc and you then reply by saying "what" and the other person replies with "actually, it doesn't matter now" I agree! Cheers! :thumbsup: That's another one. How about people who randomly add you, and when you ask who they are they say "No, you first" What's that all about? You: "You must know who I am, you added me!" Then: "No I didn't!" You: "Well I think I'd know if I added you, because I'd recognize your email address!" You: "So you must have added me!" It degenerates from there. Madness.
potter3 Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 Or when someone keeps adding you into a massive convo and you don't want to be in one! One of the ones where someones speaking every 5 seconds, so you leave, and they add you back in again :mad:
Libertine Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 Or when someone keeps adding you into a massive convo and you don't want to be in one! One of the ones where someones speaking every 5 seconds, so you leave, and they add you back in again Oh my, I truly do hate that. I don't mind when it's loads of people that I know or are from FT etc, but when it's one person I know and loads of their chavveh mates it gets on me boobs.
cisono Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 one reason why I dont use msn much. Plus I cant do text speak. I cannot see the point of full-on text speak on MSN
Suffolk_fox Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 I cannot see the point of full-on text speak on MSN Me neither, but I also don't use text speak when texting...
lookwhaticando Posted 15 December 2006 Author Posted 15 December 2006 Oh my, I truly do hate that. I don't mind when it's loads of people that I know or are from FT etc, but when it's one person I know and loads of their chavveh mates it gets on me boobs. Spot on.
cisono Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 And Sorry. I do often talk then wander off only to realize I've been away for an hour. I didn't mean you in particular (but yes, you do it too. And I might also do it at times apparently )
lookwhaticando Posted 15 December 2006 Author Posted 15 December 2006 I didn't mean you in particular (but yes, you do it too. And I might also do it at times apparently ) We're alright though.
cisono Posted 15 December 2006 Posted 15 December 2006 I use text speak far too much on msn And why is that? It never occurs to me (except very few abbreviations which are not text speak anyway....)
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.