Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Lad

Rob Kelly - Summary

we haven't brought in anyone who can score goals or create goals...nor have we properly used or involved those we already had.

I could summarise my Kelly-based sentiments up in one, maybe two, words...but I'll settle for what you've put instead Thracian :thumbup:

What I'm saying is:

* We've allowed a reasonable goalscorer like DeVries to disappear.

* We've allowed the club's "most natural marksman" in Dodds waste his entire season.

* We've allowed Sheehan to roam while having no alternative left-back of any credibility.

* We've moved on a reasoonable looking footballer in Gerrbrand.

But we haven't brought in anyone who can score goals or create goals by way of replacements, nor have we properly used or involved those we already had.

1) Yeah the fans loved him so much and screamed with anger when he left.

2) The lad will sink without trace like Tommy Wright

3) Give me a break, he proved he wasn't up to it several divisions lower down than us. Are you hoping we have all forgotten how crap he was for them so you can start backing him again?

4) McAuley looks twice the footballer Gerrbrand ever did. Secondly he cost (wages wise) a damn site more than McAuley, so cost cutting wise it was a job well done as we have a better player for less wages.

People forget we had to cut wages again this year. The same will happen in the summer (if Mandaric doesn't come in) Williams is out of contract and will leave, and we will be left with a fraction of the money he was on to find a replacement.

3) Give me a break, he proved he wasn't up to it several divisions lower down than us. Are you hoping we have all forgotten how crap he was for them so you can start backing him again?

4) McAuley looks twice the footballer Gerrbrand ever did. Secondly he cost (wages wise) a damn site more than McAuley, so cost cutting wise it was a job well done as we have a better player for less wages.

People forget we had to cut wages again this year. The same will happen in the summer (if Mandaric doesn't come in) Williams is out of contract and will leave, and we will be left with a fraction of the money he was on to find a replacement.

1) DeVries might have been an ugly footballer but he scored goals that haven't been replaced, whether the fans liked him or not.

2) You may be right the way things are shaping up. Doesn't mean he's no good or that he shouldn't have been given an opportunity.

3 Nothing's been proved about Sheehan. What has been proved is the Nils is a distinctly limited left-back, vulnerable and slow on the turn and, while okay defensively, distinctly lacking going forward.

4) McAuley's fine. Doesn't mean we ever needed Johnson or Kenton.

That is true, but in the summer you could see where it was going and the mangers pettiness in the way he treated de Vries and Sylla was scandelous. He is cutting his nose off and it is costing him.

I agree, but when the manager labels him the best natural finisher at the Club, farms him out to the Conference, cuts his deal short, leaves him playing no football and then brings in another misfit striker (though I think he might work) I reckon he's been shafted.

Sadly I have to agree, Sheehan got to big for himself and has blown his career we should get rid now.

McAuley is no where near the player Gerrbrand is, he's better than McCarthey but we dropped a bollock letting PG go, we could have done with his distribution alongside Kisnorbo.

McAuley is no where near the player Gerrbrand is, he's better than McCarthey but we dropped a bollock letting PG go, we could have done with his distribution alongside Kisnorbo.

Disagree. Gerrbrand couldn't adapt to the physical demands of English football.

McAuley has shown in recent weeks that he's a more than adequate replacement, though he too lacks the pace to play at the top level.

McAuley has shown in recent weeks that he's a more than adequate replacement, though he too lacks the pace to play at the top level.

We'll agree to disagree here, as I think McAuley is vastly overrated.

You don't have to possess searing pace to be effective as a Championship centre-back. In recent weeks McAuley has faced Jemal Johnson and Leon Knight and he has seen them both off. In my opinion, McAuley is a far better player than McCarthy will ever be, even when he gets to McAuley's age. If Andy Johnson had lived up to expectations or Wesolowski could stay fit and get a run in the team and live up to the hype, McAuley and Kisnorbo would be as good a centre-back pairing as you will see in this league. Commanding in the air and a strong presence. As it is, our powderpuff midfield gives them a hell of a lot more to do than would be asked of them in a decent footballing unit. Players like Sonko, Ingimarsson, Demerit and Morgan looked good last season but a lot of that was down to the protection they got from the likes of Sidwell, Mahon, Jagielka and Montgomery. If we had a central midfielder who could stamp themself on a game like that, McAuley and Kisnorbo would compare favourably with any centre-back in the league.

You don't have to possess searing pace to be effective as a Championship centre-back. In recent weeks McAuley has faced Jemal Johnson and Leon Knight and he has seen them both off. In my opinion, McAuley is a far better player than McCarthy will ever be, even when he gets to McAuley's age. If Andy Johnson had lived up to expectations or Wesolowski could stay fit and get a run in the team and live up to the hype, McAuley and Kisnorbo would be as good a centre-back pairing as you will see in this league. Commanding in the air and a strong presence. As it is, our powderpuff midfield gives them a hell of a lot more to do than would be asked of them in a decent footballing unit. Players like Sonko, Ingimarsson, Demerit and Morgan looked good last season but a lot of that was down to the protection they got from the likes of Sidwell, Mahon, Jagielka and Montgomery. If we had a central midfielder who could stamp themself on a game like that, McAuley and Kisnorbo would compare favourably with any centre-back in the league.

Good analysis :thumbup:

Did he ever really get the chance?

I think Sheehan deserves another chance at left back. Johannson is very limited going forward. He can't really run with the ball or cross and often loses possession going forward whereas Sheehan was much better in that respect when I've seen him play.

It's crazy that Dodds hasn't been given any chance. Academy player of season 05/06, consistent goalscorer at every level he's played at (goals in the academy and reserves, 6 apps, 3 goals for Northwich). It's not like our other strikers are any good apart from Hume-Hammond has scored 10 goals at senior level (not exaggerating) in his entire career, Fryatt is off form, Cadermateri's career goalscoring record is something like 200 apps, 22 goals. Kelly recalled Dodds from a successful loan period as cover-but he hasn't even been on the bench yet. Amazing.

I think Sheehan deserves another chance at left back. Johannson is very limited going forward. He can't really run with the ball or cross and often loses possession going forward whereas Sheehan was much better in that respect when I've seen him play.

It's crazy that Dodds hasn't been given any chance. Academy player of season 05/06, consistent goalscorer at every level he's played at (goals in the academy and reserves, 6 apps, 3 goals for Northwich). It's not like our other strikers are any good apart from Hume-Hammond has scored 10 goals at senior level (not exaggerating) in his entire career, Fryatt is off form, Cadermateri's career goalscoring record is something like 200 apps, 22 goals. Kelly recalled Dodds from a successful loan period as cover-but he hasn't even been on the bench yet. Amazing.

Amongst the reasons why his job must be under threat. :whistle::ph34r:

Maybe not, though his cause wasn't helped by glaring errors against the saints and Ipswich in Kelly's early weeks.

Both of them cost us the game and it's no surprise RK looked to get rid.

But earlier that season before his injury he looked really good/promising

I wanted Gerrbrand to stay and succeed.

As it happens we let him walk, we didn't even get a fee which I wasn't pleased about.

If Gerrbrand had returned to form after injury... imagine a Gerrbrand/Kisnorbo/McAuley back three. :ph34r:

'tis the stuff of dreams. :wub:

:ph34r:

You're not high on Champagne yet, are you?

Still got a bit to go until 2007, mind you! lol

You're not high on Champagne yet, are you?

Still got a bit to go until 2007, mind you! lol

That, I'll have you know, was a serious suggestion! :P

Seriously, all-action Kisnorbo - who can't pass to save his life - flanked by super-cool footballing centre-halves with decent distribution. :yesyes:

The possibilities! :santa:

Archived