Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kilworthfox

Today's atmosphere

I can remember hugging the three guys on my left who I'd never met before, and us all joining in a circle and jumping up and down like madmen. :D Reminds me of the Spurs game when I jumped on a steward and started hugging him when MDV scored. lol

And to the guys with the flag and Lucozade bottle - all I have to say is SERVES YOU RIGHT YOU WASTERS! :D

Was that the same time as when you ran halfway down the steps, then most of the way back up and sank to your knees screaming YEEEEESSSSS!? lol

Was that the same time as when you ran halfway down the steps, then most of the way back up and sank to your knees screaming YEEEEESSSSS!? lol

That's the one. I can also remember lying down on the floor laughing my head off at the sheer insanity of it all. lol

I was in the kop, there's a lot of "I've watched Green Street so i'll wear stone island and pretend i'm a hooligan" type kids around at the moment, but apart frmo that, why, in the middle of a great game did some kids at the back decide they wanted a mexican wave?!

I thought the waves were for times of on-pitch bores, they should be saved for the likes of cardiff.

yeah I know 0-0 with fulham 20 minutes to go, trying to start the wave, whats the point?? Fulham went 1-0 up as they were trying to start it too.

I was in the kop, there's a lot of "I've watched Green Street so i'll wear stone island and pretend i'm a hooligan" type kids around at the moment, but apart frmo that, why, in the middle of a great game did some kids at the back decide they wanted a mexican wave?!

I think some people on here will be embarrased about this.

yeah I know 0-0 with fulham 20 minutes to go, trying to start the wave, whats the point?? Fulham went 1-0 up as they were trying to start it too.

They got slated for it too by Bertie :P

Link

Swathes of empty seats at the weekend's ties suggest that clubs are missing out on a whole generation of fans?

The third round of the FA Cup is upon us. Pundits and spectators alike wax lyrical about the "romance of the Cup", licking their lips at the potential giant-killings and the stories of part-time minnows triumphing against all the odds to beat far better opponents. The 2007 edition of the third round draw threw up what looked like some potential banana skins for several big teams, such as Bolton having to travel to Doncaster, Middlesbrough making the journey away to Hull City and struggling Charlton at the once mighty Nottingham Forest.

So surely the anticipation for the fans of the supposed lesser teams would draw them to the stadiums to cheer their boys home to glory? Apparently not. Almost all of the Saturday ties were played with the backdrop of thousands of empty seats as supporters preferred to spend their afternoons elsewhere. Many of these games were played out in front of stadiums less than half full. Crystal Palace attracted only 10,238 (38.9% of capacity) while similarly poor were Leicester City (15,499, 47.7% capacity) and Preston North End (10,318, 43.9% capacity).

It is distressing for any football supporter to see the game played in front of a half-empty stadium. The atmosphere of the ground obviously suffers and it surely has a knock-on effect on the players who suffer in the absence of their 12th man egging them on. Perhaps many more cup upsets would have occurred had the support been there in greater numbers.

So is the FA Cup losing its charm for the everyday football fan? Certainly many of the clubs fighting for promotion or battling relegation in their respective divisions take the competition less seriously, claiming that it's just an unwelcome distraction. The fans aren't particularly interested in coming to see a depleted team not taking the game altogether too seriously against a small team from another division, so their attitude is influenced by their club.

This is a dangerous attitude for clubs to take. Great cup runs can do miracles for a club's finances. Tamworth, for example, are set to earn over £100,000 from their home tie against Norwich City which was televised by the BBC. Not only does this money keep them firmly in the black, it also gives them funds to bring in new players and develop the club facilities further.

On top of this, a good Cup run can create lifelong memories for the fans. Macclesfield Town supporters will back that up with the memory to cherish of scoring a goal at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea in their 6-1 defeat, something that many Premiership teams have not managed to do.

It would be foolish to assume that the magic of the Cup is what determines whether a fan chooses to turn up to a game or not. As is normally the case with football, money talks and escalating ticket prices are driving fans away in all fixtures, not just in cup games. The average Premiership ticket costs about £30 these days. Only the more well-off and generally older members of the community can afford to spend those sums. The danger is that these high prices will drive away a whole new generation of young fans who simply cannot afford to follow their club, no matter how much they want to do so.

The lack of the vibrant, youthful support has already begun to affect the atmosphere at many British grounds. With the ageing of the typical fan, it appears less likely that such a fan would want to spend the whole match singing, shouting and urging his team on. This is something that Wigan Athletic, who had been suffering from dwindling attendances, had noticed. They reduced their ticket prices to £15 for the visit of Chelsea in December and by all accounts had one of the most heated and supportive atmospheres ever witnessed at the JJB Stadium. In all probability, this was one of the main factors behind a great team performance which saw them come close to taking points off Chelsea.

Teams should follow Wigan's lead and reduce prices, particularly for cup games where their support is urgently needed. That way, the sight of oceans of empty plastic seats may be avoided in future years.

What is the answer to half-empty - or half-full - football grounds? Let sportingo.com have your views and comments.

Article

I thought there was quite a lot of kids/young adults around yesterday. Might be wrong, but that's how it seemed to me. I think, at least for us, it was just a general lack of interest rather than only the older fans turning up.

Game was expensive yeaterday, ST's for £15 is a fair amount when they've already spent £300-400 on a st at the start of the season. Also fulham isn't the biggest attraction for fans their best known player was probably boa morte and he left the club before the game.

I'm not complaining though, atmosphere was 10 times better than the average home game at the walkers with 22k attendance.

I thought there was quite a lot of kids/young adults around yesterday. Might be wrong, but that's how it seemed to me. I think, at least for us, it was just a general lack of interest rather than only the older fans turning up.

E3 was full of kids, also I thought it was good to see the stadium half full, because maybe the club will realise that Fulham is not a big draw!

Maybe some incentives to help people with familys would be a sensible step if those who control clubs are genuinely interested in keeping the F.A cup tradition alive, but seing as stadiums were half empty they obviously are not!

E3 was full of kids, also I thought it was good to see the stadium half full, because maybe the club will realise that Fulham is not a big draw!

Maybe some incentives to help people with familys would be a sensible step if those who control clubs are genuinely interested in keeping the F.A cup tradition alive, but seing as stadiums were half empty they obviously are not!

Heh, yeah, it was. Me being one of them.

I don't actually remember what the pricing structure was for this match, got my ticket ages ago and someone else picked it up for me. What was it?

Heh, yeah, it was. Me being one of them.

I don't actually remember what the pricing structure was for this match, got my ticket ages ago and someone else picked it up for me. What was it?

St holder was £15 which is too high! I got in free as my uncle paid for mine, lucky me.

Where were you sitting I was 1 row from the back standing.

I was right at the back, standing. Slightly spotty, bit awkward, hardly sung. Might have seen me. :D

Well on the row behind me there is the batterd Pepsi sign which is where my ST is :whistle:

There were some 15 ish year olds there yesterday, some older guys about 50 next to them in the middle sining that they wanted Mike Riley Back (which were quite funny)! There was an asian kid behind me who did not appreciate me standing i think as he was sitting for the 1st 20 mins but he was on the back! You one of them?

Well on the row behind me there is the batterd Pepsi sign which is where my ST is :whistle:

There were some 15 ish year olds there yesterday, some older guys about 50 next to them in the middle sining that they wanted Mike Riley Back (which were quite funny)! There was an asian kid behind me who did not appreciate me standing i think as he was sitting for the 1st 20 mins but he was on the back! You one of them?

The battered Pepsi sign? I was on your right, then, one row up. I was just to the right of the twats with the flag that went home early.

The battered Pepsi sign? I was on your right, then, one row up. I was just to the right of the twats with the flag that went home early.

Yeah I did not see you, as you say those guys with the flag would have been in the way. Anyways you know where i sit now, do you sit there normally?

Yeah I did not see you, as you say those guys with the flag would have been in the way. Anyways you know where i sit now, do you sit there normally?

Hah, no. Didn't used to come to many games, was mostly an armchair(& radio) fan, but I've been at most games just lately. I go with two mates of mine who've been pretty regular fans for a while (one of whom is Leonisco here) and we sit in L or K, though I tend to agree with the thread posted today about the sorts of people who're beginning to infest that area.

I'm outnumbered, though. <_<

Hah, no. Didn't used to come to many games, was mostly an armchair(& radio) fan, but I've been at most games just lately. I go with two mates of mine who've been pretty regular fans for a while (one of whom is Leonisco here) and we sit in L or K, though I tend to agree with the thread posted today about the sorts of people who're beginning to infest that area.

I'm outnumbered, though. <_<

Sounds nasty maybe some spray would do the trick? :smile:

Football is forgetting us!

It seems to think that it can exist in a vacuum, supported by cash injections from the BBC and SKY. It thinks that it can invent revenue streams and maximise profit centres by loading tickets and removing discounts. It can't.

It's a short-term viewpoint taken by idiots that know they only have to look good on CV for their next interview, they are not at the clubs where they make these changes in 5 years time...they don't care about long term issues, just the short-term balance sheet. Our current board have amply demonstrated this season that they see fans as a source of revenue to be squeezed until they pop.

I'm pushed to remember a worse attended 3rd round across the country. As good as every game on TV either had huge gaps in crowds or ranks of tourists making no noise. If a weekend should have served as a wake up call to those the have the privilege of being able to make decisions within the game then this one was it.

Look at us, at Forest - both home to Premiership opposition and yet we struggled to get shot of seats. Look at the Man U fans that were inaudible for almost the entire game.

My mate was had come down from Middlesborough to stay with us for the weekend and was shocked that early rounds are not included in my season ticket - and to be honest, so am I.

Historically, this has always been one of the most exciting days of the season. It used to be because of the Third Round - but it now looks like it is only for the sale now on at LeatherPClandia!

Football is forgetting us!

It seems to think that it can exist in a vacuum, supported by cash injections from the BBC and SKY. It thinks that it can invent revenue streams and maximise profit centres by loading tickets and removing discounts. It can't.

It's a short-term viewpoint taken by idiots that know they only have to look good on CV for their next interview, they are not at the clubs where they make these changes in 5 years time...they don't care about long term issues, just the short-term balance sheet. Our current board have amply demonstrated this season that they see fans as a source of revenue to be squeezed until they pop.

I'm pushed to remember a worse attended 3rd round across the country. As good as every game on TV either had huge gaps in crowds or ranks of tourists making no noise. If a weekend should have served as a wake up call to those the have the privilege of being able to make decisions within the game then this one was it.

Look at us, at Forest - both home to Premiership opposition and yet we struggled to get shot of seats. Look at the Man U fans that were inaudible for almost the entire game.

My mate was had come down from Middlesborough to stay with us for the weekend and was shocked that early rounds are not included in my season ticket - and to be honest, so am I.

Historically, this has always been one of the most exciting days of the season. It used to be because of the Third Round - but it now looks like it is only for the sale now on at LeatherPClandia!

I don't disagree with any of that, I would also add that this is also the current practice for all privatised monopolistic businesses - the customer is at the bottom of the pile.

Having said that the 'excuse' for not including them is that this gives them the opportunity to adapt prices according to the opposition they get and to be fair LCFc wanted to make it £10 for season ticket holders, but Fulham obviously have delusions of granduer and believed we'd all rush out to see their 'top' premier team.

Link

Swathes of empty seats at the weekend's ties suggest that clubs are missing out on a whole generation of fans?

The third round of the FA Cup is upon us. Pundits and spectators alike wax lyrical about the "romance of the Cup", licking their lips at the potential giant-killings and the stories of part-time minnows triumphing against all the odds to beat far better opponents. The 2007 edition of the third round draw threw up what looked like some potential banana skins for several big teams, such as Bolton having to travel to Doncaster, Middlesbrough making the journey away to Hull City and struggling Charlton at the once mighty Nottingham Forest.

So surely the anticipation for the fans of the supposed lesser teams would draw them to the stadiums to cheer their boys home to glory? Apparently not. Almost all of the Saturday ties were played with the backdrop of thousands of empty seats as supporters preferred to spend their afternoons elsewhere. Many of these games were played out in front of stadiums less than half full. Crystal Palace attracted only 10,238 (38.9% of capacity) while similarly poor were Leicester City (15,499, 47.7% capacity) and Preston North End (10,318, 43.9% capacity).

It is distressing for any football supporter to see the game played in front of a half-empty stadium. The atmosphere of the ground obviously suffers and it surely has a knock-on effect on the players who suffer in the absence of their 12th man egging them on. Perhaps many more cup upsets would have occurred had the support been there in greater numbers.

So is the FA Cup losing its charm for the everyday football fan? Certainly many of the clubs fighting for promotion or battling relegation in their respective divisions take the competition less seriously, claiming that it's just an unwelcome distraction. The fans aren't particularly interested in coming to see a depleted team not taking the game altogether too seriously against a small team from another division, so their attitude is influenced by their club.

This is a dangerous attitude for clubs to take. Great cup runs can do miracles for a club's finances. Tamworth, for example, are set to earn over £100,000 from their home tie against Norwich City which was televised by the BBC. Not only does this money keep them firmly in the black, it also gives them funds to bring in new players and develop the club facilities further.

On top of this, a good Cup run can create lifelong memories for the fans. Macclesfield Town supporters will back that up with the memory to cherish of scoring a goal at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea in their 6-1 defeat, something that many Premiership teams have not managed to do.

It would be foolish to assume that the magic of the Cup is what determines whether a fan chooses to turn up to a game or not. As is normally the case with football, money talks and escalating ticket prices are driving fans away in all fixtures, not just in cup games. The average Premiership ticket costs about £30 these days. Only the more well-off and generally older members of the community can afford to spend those sums. The danger is that these high prices will drive away a whole new generation of young fans who simply cannot afford to follow their club, no matter how much they want to do so.

The lack of the vibrant, youthful support has already begun to affect the atmosphere at many British grounds. With the ageing of the typical fan, it appears less likely that such a fan would want to spend the whole match singing, shouting and urging his team on. This is something that Wigan Athletic, who had been suffering from dwindling attendances, had noticed. They reduced their ticket prices to £15 for the visit of Chelsea in December and by all accounts had one of the most heated and supportive atmospheres ever witnessed at the JJB Stadium. In all probability, this was one of the main factors behind a great team performance which saw them come close to taking points off Chelsea.

Teams should follow Wigan's lead and reduce prices, particularly for cup games where their support is urgently needed. That way, the sight of oceans of empty plastic seats may be avoided in future years.

What is the answer to half-empty - or half-full - football grounds? Let sportingo.com have your views and comments.

This week's 3rd round attendances were actually the highest for 25 years.

That was me at the Villa game. :ph34r::whistle::D

And we were just to the right of the guys singing about Mike Riley - twas hilarious. :D

Archived